Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas smell when using oven

Posted by kristins (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 17:04

I recently moved into a home with a Viking gas range (I believe the range is about 5 years old). I've always had a gas cooktop, but electric ovens, so this is my first experience with a gas oven. When I preheat the oven, there is a strong gas odor. It goes away once the oven is fully heated. Is this normal? It's strong enough that I turn on the vent fan in an effort to get rid of it. Trying to figure out if I should call the gas company out or if this is normal. Thanks.

Kristins

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas smell when using oven

Strong gas odor when you first fire it up? I'd say it is not not normal.

Have it checked out. The utility company can tell you if there is a gas leak but, if you are not handy at diy stove repair, you will likely need an appliance service to sort this out for you. Check around to find out who in your area is good and then find out if they will work on an out-of-warranty Viking.

o
RE: Gas smell when using oven

Viking had a delayed ignition problem a few years ago but developed a fix for it.
You may want to call Viking and have your unit checked out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here