Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerchum

Problem with dishwasher install?

kerchum
11 years ago

Hi,

I had a new Whirlpool Gold Series dishwasher installed. A few weeks after the install, I noticed a bad odor and buildup of gunk on inside of the filter and the bottom of the dishwasher. The repairman said that the problem was that the dishwasher wasn't properly installed - the 10 year old hose should have been replaced and the loop isn't high enough. The installer calls bullcrap and says the install is fine and that the garbage disposal is likely the culprit and needs replacing. I'm tired of getting the runaround and I just want it fixed. Hell, I'll even pay to have it fixed if someone could tell me exactly what needs to be fixed. But, at this point, the gunk that has built up in the dishwasher is disgusting and unsanitary and unusable until it's fixed.

The picture attached is of the hose installation. My dishwasher is not next to the sink, but under the counter to the left of the sink -- so the hoses are run behind the counter.

Can someone please help? I'm not sure what other information would be helpful. Please let me know if I've left something out.

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• weissman
    11 years ago

I don't see a high loop in the drain hose coming from the dishwasher - the loop has to be higher than the place where it enters the disposal - that will cause gunk to back up into the dishwasher. Get that fixed first and then see if the problem goes away. The repairman could have fixed the hose for you but he's right, it isn't a warranty issue.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

If this edited picture indicates how your drain hose is arranged, then it's wrong.

It's looping down instead of up.

The loop should be higher than the drain connection point (at the side of the disposer). The hose should come through the partition, loop upwards (ideally tied under the sink at countertop height), then down to the disposer.

The drain hose being 10 years old is not a direct factor.

Whether the drain hose loop is the cause of your problem may depend on what's the arrangement on the other side of the left-side cabinet partition, how high-up the hose runs there, which your picture doesn't show.

• kerchum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HI Weissman --

Thanks for such a quick response! Is this something I can fix myself? Is it just a matter of tacking the hose up somehow?

• jakvis
    11 years ago

I would trust the Servicer over the installer. The servicer has no agenda to point out a install issue but the installer would have an agenda to say they didn't screw up.

Most servicers work on 8-10 appliances a day and see good and bad installs all the time. I think they would know the difference.

• djlandkpl
    11 years ago

It's easy to fix yourself. Just move the drain hose so it loops up where it comes out of the cabinet. Then it should swing down to the drain on the disposal. It should be the opposite of the way it is installed now. You may be able to do it without unhooking the line from the disposal.

• weissman
    11 years ago

What djlandkpl said. If the hose is long enough, you might be able to swing it up and loop if but if not, you can disconnect it from the disposal, loop it and reconnect it. What dadoes said is also correct - you should somehow tie the hose to something so the loop stays in place. After doing this, you need to clean out the DW - run a DW cleaner to get all the gunk out of the DW and then see if the problem reoccurs.

• friedajune
    11 years ago

It looks like your repairman is correct.

A high loop installation is extremely easy; it's amazing (and a little bit appalling) your installer couldn't do it. I am linking a couple of how-to videos, so you can see what I mean.

DIYNetwork on High Loop Install (approx. 1 min.)

Youtube Video on DW hook-up (approx 2 min.)

• kerchum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow. You guys are just amazing. Thank you SO much for all your help and links. GardenWeb folks seriously rock!

My hubs doesn't know it yet, but he has a new weekend project. :->

• dixiedarlin10
    11 years ago

Kerchum, as everyone correctly indicates, a high loop is necessary/required.. Another thing to check for is the integrity of the rubber drain hose and the dishwasher drain port on your disposer. Your dishwasher came with a corrugated flexible drain hose. Where did that one go to? That is really the one you should use!

I would refer to the installation instructions and examine the whole installation. You have to wonder what other short cuts or problems there could be.

You should ask for refund for your trouble.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Your dishwasher came with a corrugated flexible drain hose. Where did that one go to? That is really the one you should use! "

The corrugated hoses are more likely to trap garbage from the discharge water.

Smooth is better.

The manufacturers supply plastic corrugated because it is cheaper, not because it is better.

• xedos
    11 years ago

I'm guessing the black rubber is an extension and that's way we dont see the corrugated one.

Which brings me to -

perhaps the pump isn't strong enough to overcome the added resistance of the extra hose.

• shannonplus2
    11 years ago

The installer calls bullcrap and says the install is fine and that the garbage disposal is likely the culprit and needs replacing.

Judging from your photos, your repairman is correct about the bad installation; the advice of the several posters on this thread about making sure you have a high loop is excellent. However, I am surprised no one has mentioned your disposal - your installer is actually correct that your old Badger disposal should be replaced. While the lack of a high loop is your main problem, I bet the cheap Badger disposal is also a contributor since it does not grind well. When plumbers complain about disposals, it's always the low-powered Badger disposals - they're not only low-powered but made with inferior parts. They are OK for a few years, but don't last. I advise you to get a new disposal, which MUST be at least 3/4 hp and all stainless innards. Here's a couple:

Insinkerator Evolution Essential 3/4 hp Disposer

If you want a smaller disposer to save space under the sink, Insinkerator makes a compact 3/4 hp model specifically for small spaces under the sink:

Insinkerator Evolution Compact 3/4 hp Disposer

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Where is the air gap?

• xedos
    11 years ago

weedmeister - you must be in Cali ?

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Nope. But as it is now, any backup in the trap or beyond will flood the kitchen before it is ever seen in the sink.

I'm also not sure about that T-fitting.

• jakvis
    11 years ago

T fitting is probably from a twin sink.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Yes, but it needs to be baffled T. And the exit is the base of the T, not the side.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Yes, but it needs to be baffled T. And the exit is the base of the T, not the side.