Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbienp7

French Induction Range?

debbienp7
12 years ago

I am looking for an French (like Lacanche) style range that has an induction top. I just called and found Lacanche does not make an induction-style range for the US market. Are there any range manufacturers with a similar styling that makes a range with an induction top for the US market?

Comments (12)

• debbienp7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Darn, I was hoping someone might know of something similar with an induction cooktop. Thanks for the suggestion plllog, but that sounds like too much hassle to go through to try to get approval for a European model Lacanche. I'll just have to figure something else out.

• plllog
    12 years ago

You can also build your own if you can find a 36" cooktop and oven that will work together. Have a surround built for them that has the look you want.

• debbienp7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do you have any links to photos of examples of this? I can't really picture a surround. Thanks for the idea!

• mainedr
    11 years ago

Wy would you want an induction range? Is gas not a possibility? Having grown up on a standard electric range and having used induction and gas , I would never have anything but gas. The control and speed of adjustment are vastly superior.

If you have never used gas and are afraid of using it, the learning curve is short and very much worth it. We all went through it once too - LOL!

• attofarad
    11 years ago

mainedr, while you are dragging up old threads, you should drag up the ones that show you are way in the minority as far as preferring gas over induction. Some do prefer gas, but the only advantages I can see are no learning curve (less that even resistive electric), the few items that require direct flame, and the better wok cooking. Some would also like the cosmetics of the gas range. Saying goodbye to the Viking gas, getting induction -- faster to heat, faster response to decreased power, 60% less heat dumped into the kitchen, much easier to clean, "low" power levels that few gas ranges can reach.

• dan1888
    11 years ago

The best restaurants in the world do not use gas anymore, especially any new construction like Dinner in London.
    Your insurance carrier will give a written OK for a CE(European equivalent) certified appliance with a licensed electrician doing the installation. You would save quite a bit doing your own Lacanche importation. It would require some extra steps. I wouldn't go with the Viking induction range.

• llaatt22
    11 years ago

Better money wise to install a Lacanche gas burners range by itself.Then later on buy a US sold separate induction cooktop and install on the counter nearby if you have enough room. That gives you two salable items in the future if they start importing the configuration you prefer. Also removes servicing complications when some work might be needed on either one.

This post was edited by laat2 on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 0:34

• zackin
    11 years ago

I don't think this is exactly what you're looking for, but I'm in love with it and thought you might want to take a look. It's La Cornue W induction table.

http://cf1.thingd.com/default/298368335_d2eb4a64dc48.jpg

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17j2747il3mpgjpg/original.jpg

• PeterH2
    11 years ago

> The best restaurants in the world do not use gas anymore

Sorry, but that simply is not true. Some of the world's best restaurants use induction as part of their cooking equipment.

Dinner does not use 100% induction - it has a gas rotisserie, a charcoal oven/broiler, electric french tops and salamander, etc. The commercial induction cooktops at Dinner are also vastly different from what you can get at home - 6KW per element.

As to importing an induction cooktop or range, that sounds great right up to the point where something fails and you need service.

This post was edited by PeterH2 on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 16:29

• dan1888
    11 years ago

You can buy commercial induction cooktops for 20k from Electrolux. Yes, if you want something that is not thhe simplest and most available mmore personal responsibility for its care will be necessary. A consideration part of all choices in life and a cost with benefits for some, like me.

• Summer Baez
    2 years ago

La Cornue has everything

Thermador too has induction