Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdrive

Different wall over/microwave brand, is this a bad idea?

mdrive
13 years ago

Hi Everyone...

I'm trying to make a decision on which wall oven and microwave to buy...

This will be a 27 inch oven....

From what I have seen, the Bosch would be a good choice, however, I've read enough bad reviews on their microwave to really give my pause in purchasing...

Since the microwave will be stacked on top of the oven, would it look bad to have different brands? If so, just go for the Bosch microwave and hope for the best?

Any opinion greatly appreciated, and if you mixed brands I would love to hear how it turned out

Comments (9)

• dadoes
    13 years ago

I personally wouldn't be concerned about mismatched appearance. I'd get the respective units that best fit my usage needs.

• mdrive
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you...

normally I wouldn't worry much about a microwave, I don't use them for cooking, just heating things, popcorn, etc so it's not high on the list of appliances to concern myself with, but anytime i see a bad review ...i think twice

...I'm getting a 'collection' of mismatched appliances in small kitchen...Samsung FD refrigerator...Viking cooktop....Ventahood ....everything is SS...which in and of itself can present coordination issues....(different shades/finish of SS)

• plllog
    13 years ago

There are like three makers who make almost all of the microwaves for everyone. Bosch isn't one of them (Sharp and Panasonic are). Just choose something that looks okay with the oven and don't give it another thought.

Most people who choose their own appliances don't buy them as a suite from one manufacturer unless they're given a incentive offer they can't refuse. Some makers do one thing better than another, while a different maker does the other thing better than the first. Or if not better, at least in a way that you prefer. If you put a little bit of trim in between the oven and MW it won't matter if the finish doesn't match exactly either.

• funfarm
    13 years ago

I'm in the same boat. All different manufacturers of all my new appliances. I've unpacked the trim kit for my Sharp microwave and held it up to my Bosch wall oven... Looks just fine to me. Those are the only two appliances that will be right next to each other so the only ones I was the slightest bit concerned about. Like Dadoes said, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. My take was that I should be more attentive to getting the appliances that gave me the features I wanted and were rated best.

Cheers, Dean

• vickkig
    13 years ago

I have a Maytag w/trim kit in my kitchen above my Kitchen Aid wall oven and in my boyfriend's kitchen above the pantry. It is 2.0 cu feet and goes very nice with both - it doesn't have any brand markings. His is over 2 years old and mine over 1 year old and so far so good. Here is the link.

http://www.maytag.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=Microwaves&cat=8&prod=1863

• mdrive
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all for the responses....

Vickkig...the Maytag looks good....the brand marking was the issue, some are very dominant...I didn't realize there was a brand without them...so I think Maytag it will be....I decided to go with the Bosch Wall oven instead of the KA...and use the KA dishwasher....these 3 appliances will be clustered next to each other, so the Bosch wall oven will be the only one with a noticeable brand marking

• vickkig
    13 years ago

I will mention one thing - this doesn't bother me, just depends on how picky you are. The shade of blue on the clocks is different. Seems like a long time ago I saw someone bring this up?? I don't know what color the Bosch is, it may match, or you'll be like me and not care. LOL!
    I have KA dishwashers in both homes and like those too!

• JLP05
    9 years ago

I know this is a really old thread but I had the exact same question come up today for the same reason. I am wondering what you went with for microwave and if you were happy and if anyone has pics of a Bosch 500 wall oven with a different brand microwave above it? THANKS

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wolf oven
    Advantium speed oven
    These are stacked and the trim kit makes them look matched.
    I do turn off the Advantium clock so color match is not an issue.

I also have an elux fridge, Miele DW and wolf induction. OCD DH is fine with the mixed appliances.