Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jalk_gw

question re: online purchases for sink/faucet

jalk
16 years ago

Just got back from the store where I saw an Elkay sink for $444 and a Hansgrohe faucet for $457 - both items I'd like. Looked on line and saw them for 50-100 less however I have no clue if the sites are reputable.

Can anyone recommend online sites for such purchases? Also, I assume buying something like this online is "safer" than a fridge, etc due to damage, repair, etc. Am I right?

Any feedback, please!

Comments (17)

• beckeliz9856
    16 years ago

These days it seems pretty safe to buy most products online if you use a credit card. If the stuff never arrives, they'll fight the battle for you.

I even bought my appliances online and saved almost $2500, it was enough savings to make it worth it for me. Everything arrived fine and they guaranteed full repair or replacement if anything arrived damaged. That's as good as any regular store would do.

Bought my sink at a local store (happened to be a better price than I could find online because of the shipping) and actually bought my faucet on ebay (go figure) and got a heck of deal.

See if there are any complaints about the site in question on BBB. They treat internet companies the same as brick and mortar stores.

Don't get me wrong I've heard some bad stories about this, but if the site has a number you can call and actually talk to someone in customer service (in the event you do run into problems) and they have their policies in print on the site, I say go for it. Often the prices are cheaper b/c their is less overhead.

Just my personal thoughts, good luck.

• bricoz
    16 years ago

I regularly buy faucets and other plumbing products online. I use sites such as homeclick.com, homecenter.com and homeannex.com and never have a problem.

• pugger
    16 years ago

We bought our Blanco silgranit sink off homeclick.com a few years back - everything worked smoothly.

• betsy_anne
    16 years ago

We purchased lots of items online: farm sink (homeclick during free shipping!), kohler products at employee warehouse and some kohler from e-bay sellers (with 99% good feedback only). All the name products are warranted by the manufacturer and we have not had any problems with manufacturer warranties > 1 year after move in.
    Some items were purchased locally (Wolf/Sub-zero).

• overlyoptimistic
    16 years ago

We had very good luck with Absolutehome. I've also been known to pay more for the product locally-- when the local store provides me with the opportunity to see various products. Sometimes this is invaluable and for that I like to support them. That said, they still have to be nice. We have a local hardware and fixture store that has a great selection. They are the nastiest group of people, however, and so I look there and buy elsewhere.

• houscrzy
    16 years ago

I bought loads of stuff on line and didn't have one single problem. I have to say that the customer service that I got from on line sites also tended to beat the service I got locally. The prices tended to be either the same as the local prices, or significantly cheaper. I used Quality Bath, all the "direct" sites (lightingdirect, faucetdirect etc), efaucets,designerplumbingoutlet.com. I would definitely give it a try.

• vitta_2008
    16 years ago

I bought my bathroom faucets through faucets.com. I was happy with them!!!

• wekick
    16 years ago

I bought faucets and sinks on line and no problems. Alot of the sites seem to go back to a common site and you can think you are buying from one place and end up buying from somewhere else. I avoided one site because of bad feedback and paid a little more from another site. For some reason I called(can't remember the exact circumstance, or what I ordred) and the first site answered the phone. I think the Hansgrohe faucets were hansgroheinstock.com and everything was ok. I bought some stuff on ebay too. One sink came from irawood.com.

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

We bought our Elkay from Home & Stone, and Ebay store. It came packaged nicely, got here quick, and their customer service was great when I called with a ?.

Others here on GW had good things to say about this place as well. Check 'em out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home & Stone direct site (not Ebay)

• chefnewbie
    16 years ago

We just bought over 5K worth of fixtures online. Faucet Direct, Luxury Plumbing Plus (ebay), homeclick, plumbing supply.com I saved a ton of money and everything was just fine. Faucet direct has an optional no questions asked insurance policy that covers return shipping. The price is based on the order total.
    I was really pleased.
    I bought all my appliances through us appliance. I am waiting for those as I deferred shipment until my house is closer to being ready.
    good luck
    Ame

• whenzuc
    16 years ago

best buy for all faucets was quality bath on line, you need to call to get their lowest prices. I saved 40% on high end faucets and also on vanities. Customer service was great. I ordered 3 times from them in the last month for kitchen and bathroom

Here is a link that might be useful: quality bath

• c9pilot
    16 years ago

Based on recommendation from a friend in VA that did a complete remodel of his house, we purchased our sinks and faucets through faucet.com and I have to say that the customer service was outstanding and we saved hundreds of dollars even while paying for overnight shipping, while the local places were talking a week or two until delivery.
    We did have a problem with one Moen faucet, faucet.com responded immediately and forwarded us to Moen because it was a manufacturers warranty, looking up the model number for me so that when I talked to Moen I'd have the correct info. Moen gave us great instructions over the phone how to fix in once the part arrived. They even offered to overnight the part, but for us it wasn't necessary since we have another sink in the kitchen.
    I'm seriously considering buying lighting from them as well.

• pp5150
    16 years ago

I bought my faucets, 5 in total from faucetdirect.com, prices were very good compared to the local plumbing shop, needed to return an item and the policy very good, I would recommend them.

• ellene613
    16 years ago

We bought Danze faucets and Elkay sinks from irawoodinc.com. I would buy from them again.

• clax66
    16 years ago

We ordered our TICOR sink online and it just came in last week (we live in Canada). We never had any concerns about ordering online because we paid with a credit card.

Turnaround time was fast - they processed our order the same day we placed it. Even with delivery charges, we've saved several hundred dollars.

• beagler1776
    16 years ago

We bought a farm/apron sink, pedestal Kohler bath sink and nickel fixtures from different Ebay sellers and love them all. I got up the nerve after looking here!

• homecenterfool
    12 years ago

Don't purchase anything from http://www.homecenter.com. This is a well known drop ship scam. They advertise low prices to attract as many customers as possible, then attempt to collect large drop ship or order cancellation fees. Do a google search for "homecenter.com complaints" to see how many people have been victimized by this scam. Don't be one of them.

The New York BBB report shows a large number of complaints being filed against Homecenter.com. I provided a link if you want to see for yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: New York BBB report for Homecenter.com

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz