Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New home buyer needs help with Kitchenaid electric range

Posted by linda2007 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 16:06

My son is buying his first home. All the appliances in the home are over 20 years old and need replacing. He found a KitchenAid free standing electric range at a close out price, but we can't find a review anywhere. The model is Kitchen Aid Architect Series II KERS308XSS1. It has been discontinued and replaced with another model. We are worried that the good deal maybe due to problems with the range. We would appreciate any feedback!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New home buyer needs help with Kitchenaid electric range

Do the existing appliances work? If so, they don't need to be replaced just for being 20 years old. :-)

o

I bought a similar house (17 years) old and started by replacing the "musts" because the previous owners took them with- refrigerator, washer, dryer. 6 months later, I moved on to the dishwasher. The ancient dishwasher, while a cleaning champion, accounted for 1/3 of my water use. Another 6 months later, I replaced the range hood and range. Now, I think I'm done for the foreseeable future.

I guess what I am saying is that if the appliances are present and generally in working order, live with them for awhile while you determine a budget and if you have additional needs that you haven't considered yet. On the other hand, if you just need a range, and you can get a reasonable deal and it meets your needs, buy it.

o

According to the Consumer Reports annual membership surveys. Of 40,000 members who bought an electric stove since 2007, those with KitchenAid electric stoves are the almost least reliable brand (exceeded only by brandmate JennAir). These two run with about a 14-16% defect and major problem rate. By comparison, GE/Hotpoint runs around 4%. Interestingly, Whirlpool (which makes both KitchenAid and JennAir) has a low 6% defect rate for electric stoves.

For several years, Kitchenaid also has had a problem with oven self-cleaning functions toasting the oven controller and/or an overtemperature protection swtich. Several threads here about that problem if you want to research it further.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here