Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mart242

New advantium 240: August 2007

mart242
17 years ago

That's what I've heard today from my appliances sales rep. He placed an order for my monogram advantium 240 and was told that by GE.

That's pretty much as I said in the past: once I buy the appliances for my new house, GE will announce the new ones.

Comments (55)

• ToxDocAR
    17 years ago

I just got off the phone with someone on the GE Answer Center phone number. She said they haven't released that information to them yet. I just said that I had heard that someone was about to order the 240 and the salesperson found out that there will be a new one coming out in August. She said she didn't know. She said that the salesperson may have been in contact with the area sales manager and that they would know before it would be released to them. Uggh.

Oh, I was told by a salesperson that the advantium will be coming out with the professional handles ASAP.

• ToxDocAR
    17 years ago

Just got off the phone with a salesperson at the monogram dealership.. They just had a meeting last week with the GE people. They got all their books for the rest of the year. He says that there are no changes to the 240.

I didn't like one thing he said and his reasoning. It sounded stupid. He said, "they haven't changed it for 5 years, I don't think they would change it this year". Duh, 5 years is my point. They have changed the 120, why not the 240. He tried to reiterate that it won't be changed this year. And that GE would have told them in the meeting.

Maybe someone else can find out something.

• solarpowered
    17 years ago

A few years ago there was a company named "Osborne", that made portable computers. They were in the process of developing a new model that was much better than their existing model. They announced to the press that it was coming. Virtually all potential customers decided to wait for the new model. The sudden cessation of sales drove this formerly high-flying company out of business. Thus was born the verb, "to Osborne yourself."

The moral of this story is, "Don't tell your sales folks about new products until you're ready to start taking orders; otherwise, you risk destroying sales of the existing product."

Thus, I don't find the fact that the salespeople don't know anything about a new Advantium 240 to be particularly meaningful information. It could mean that there's nothing in the pipe. Or it could mean that they just haven't been told yet.

My perception is that an Advantium that combines the features of the 120 with the power of the 240 would be a dynamite product, so much so that people would wait instead of buying the current models. So it makes sense to me that GE would embargo the announcement until they are actually ready to start shipping.

On the other hand, we're already pretty close to August, so you'd think they would be about ready to announce. Or, perhaps August is when they're plannning to announce, with shipping to commence a few months later.

Well, I guess we'll find out in August. Unless someone can ferret something out sooner. :-)

• ToxDocAR
    17 years ago

Solorpowered- I couldn't agree with you more. I would love the answer to this though. My house will be finished by Sept/Oct. I will end up being arrested for what I would do to the salesman after finding out a new unit is just coming out. Even if it wasn't his fault, I would have to kill someone.

• User
    17 years ago

Of course I just ordered mine last Friday. I guess I will have to move and do that kitchen to get the new 240!!!

• solarpowered
    17 years ago

One could make the very plausible guess that the new 240 will be the same size as the existing 120. Then, leave that much space in the cabinet, and put in wiring appropriate for 30A/240V. (i.e., wire it with 10/3 cable.) If it turns out that it will fit there, you're all set. If it won't fit there, or if it never shows up at all, you just get the 120, and use the cable for the 120V feed.

• lee676
    17 years ago

GE already has updated the Advantium 240 once - a change from the old SCAxxxx series to the current SCBxxxx models - purely cosmetic and quite minor. It's possible the Aug '07 update will again be largely cosmetic, perhaps with a few new features thrown in (or taken away to make it cheaper to build). Most appliances change models every year or two, but most often the changes are primarily updated styling for the control panels and the like, with the same basic insides.

OT, but the notion that Osborne's aforementioned announcement of future products is largely to blame for the company going south are absurd. Osborne's computers stopped selling because their video screens were barely bigger than an iPod's, despite the case being the size of a thick suitcase. People put up with that limitation when the Osborne 1 was new - that would be 1981 - but by 1983, competitors like Kaypro and later Compaq had decent-sized 9" screens, plus (in the latter case) a faster processor and compatibility with software and media designed for the IBM PC and MS-DOS. Even if Osborne made no mention whatsoever that they were replacing their existing computer lineup with new models, who would have expected otherwise? Did anyone not expect a 2-year-old computer to be replaced by a more modern design?

The replacement of older products with newer ones is a constant in the consumer-goods manufacturing industry. Companies long ago figured out how to deal with it. You lower the price of the outgoing product to clear out inventory, then introduce the new-and-improved product at a higher price. During the transition phase, some customers take advantage of the clearance-sale discounts to get a lower price and accept that their gizmo doesn't may not have the latest bells and whistles, and are happy not to have to wait a few weeks or months for the new model to hit the stores. Others are willing to wait and pay more to get the latest and greatest. It happens constantly with electronics, cars, appliances, and clothing. And it will happen with the Advantium 240.

• patti_bee
    17 years ago

I spoke to our appliance person about this yesterday. He said that the GE rep had just been there and did not mention this major change. Apparently they are doing some feature and design changes on the Profile line of Advantiums that will be out later this year. I've been reading all of the Advantium discussions and am very tempted to include one in the remodel. Then, the next day, I'm back to a plain microwave. Sigh. Indecision is a terrible disease...

• bebetokids
    17 years ago

patti bee-I do this same thing, one day Advantium, next day microwave. Driving myself crazy. Does GE realize the business they are losing by not revamping the 240? If only one thing could be easy for me with Appliances.

• malhgold
    17 years ago

I too can't decide between a micro and the Advantium. Hate the fact that the Advantium has to be installed above counter level and all the different "trays" that need to be changed depending on what you're doing. Might just go for a KA micro that has a drop down door and put it in the island. I've lived without one for this long....

• graylegend
    17 years ago

Hi, first time poster here. The salesman at my local appliance store told me that they were expecting in June the new Monogram Advantium 240, which would have mostly (or entirely) cosmetic changes. It would look more like the Professional convection wall ovens in the Monogram line, with a much thicker bar. Right now, it matches the Trivection ovens in appearance. FWIW, he told me that customers tend to love the Advantium and be disappointed with the Trivection ovens. He also said June could easily turn into September, and it wasn't until I got home that I remembered this thread and wondered whether this, rather than an increase in size, wasn't the much-vaunted change everyone has been wondering about?

• ToxDocAR
    17 years ago

Yes, according to the salesperson I have talked to, they will have the advantium available with the pro-style handles. But he didn't mention that the original style would be done away with. He made it sound like there would be an option between the two handles.

• bebetokids
    17 years ago

Hope they keep the thinner handles-I like those better than the pro handles. Wish they would do what makes sense and give the 240 the extra features of the 120!

• okjunga
    16 years ago

I was at a local appliance dealership today and the salesman was encouraging me to go with a 240 because it did a much better job of baking (I assume he is referring to the 8x speedcook).

I need a 27" model and GE does not currently make a 27" 240 model (only a 30"). He contacted GE and called me later saying GE will be releasing a 27" 240 model in the next couple of months.

If I learn anything further, I will post it.

• solarpowered
    16 years ago

Well, it's September now. Has anybody heard any news about a new and improved 240V model?

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

This is really turning into a wait-n-see with the Advantium. I mentioned the info from this thread to several salesfolks at several different retailers. Each had different information. Since I have a 27" double wall oven I want to replace with a speedcook and regular size oven, I've been following this pretty closely. The 120 is the best bet right now, but if there are changes to the Advantium - 240 or regular oven, I'd like to take that route. I've ordered my cooktop, and i'm getting ready to order the granite. Now I need to finalize my oven selection. That being said, I asked my salesman and also called GE on this past Friday. Here's the deal: one salesperson told me that there will be changes to the 240 in February, to make it comparable to the 120 - larger and even in 27" (shucks, I don't want to wait until then.) My main salesperson told me, no-way. GE is not planning on any changes to the 240. The GE Rep told me that there will be no changes to the 240. Also, for those of you waiting on the Monogram Induction - NOT IN PRODUCTION YET!! It MIGHT be October before they are released.

So I guess this is still a waiting game - not sure if this is GE's way of exciting the public, or that they haven't made up their mind. I know that a lot of people would like to have the space of the 120, but power of the 240. With regard to the larger oven - not sure if changes are coming there either. I heard that the Trivection was not a hit, so there may be some changes there as well. Maybe they are waiting on the public to decide. Keep calling GE!!

This info doesn't help a lot, but thought I'd add my 2cents to sift through. Please keep posting any new info as I am anxious to complete my kitchen with the 240. Thanks!!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Yikes! What's wrong with the Tivection???? I just ordered mine a couple of weeks ago! (I was really looking forward to those 17-minute baked potatoes!)

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Hi Buehl - I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to alarm anyone. I've just heard from several salespeople at different shops, and I think from somewhere here, that the trivection wasn't selling as expected. I think the speedcooks may be the issue. The first time I learned about the speedcooks and the trivection was at a huge "cook-out" at a Bray&Scarff demo. I was so amazed by all of the products!! The caterers cooked everything imaginable, and then some. I spent a lot of time with the GE rep and was really impressed by the speedcooks. I thought it was a microwave at first and almost hit the floor when I saw them put fully dressed hamburgers in the oven to melt the cheese. Then I learned that it was s speedcook they were using. Boy was it good!!! So were the crabcakes, the fruitplates, the deserts from the Trivection, the coffee from the $2200 coffeemaker, and, well you get the point.

All said, I'm pretty sure that so much emphasis was placed on the speedcooks, and the regular GE convections have to many features, the price point for the Trivection may be an issue. I must say that I still have not ruled out the Trivection. I just don't bake that much anymore - just me now, and to drop that much on an oven that will pretty much collect dust is a bit much to justify. However, it will go a long way toward resale down the road.

Good luck with your oven. I think the Trivection is the only oven that doesn't have problems - at least none that I've heard. Post your enjoyment when you get it - would love to hear!!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Thanks gneegirl! I was worried there for a sec! I still have children at home and do a lot of baking for birthdays, school events, picnics (brownies!), Thanksgiving, and Christmas--my biggest baking frenzy! :-)

I also roast meats/cook veggies/etc a lot as I have Celiac Disease and now my daughter may as well (still testing her for it). (I cannot tolerate gluten from wheat, rye, barley. & oats which, unfortunately, includes many of the additives in today's foods.)

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

First things first buehl - I'm coming to your house for the holidays!! Also, I'm with you on tolerating glutens, etc. My sister has Crohn's Disease and we know ALL about nutrition decisions. I wish you well with that. I keep telling my sister that it is an allergy because she and everyone else I know that has the disease under control, always have problems at the onset of Spring. I would love to do some research. She has done extensive research, and paid a great deal of attention to her nutritional intake. So far,16 years and counting, she has never had to have surgery!!!

My hat's off to you for making the right nutritional choices - it takes a lot of work, and courage. Reading labels and understanding the "ingrediant speak" is daunting. I did learn that you have to know the lingo because manufacturers are VERY creative when trying to sell their products.

I'm sure you will be so pleased with you oven. I know it will handle all of the goodies you have planned, even hands down! Remember, I saw it in action!

Save my space for the holidays!!! Best wishes...

• vicnsb
    16 years ago

I was in 2 major appliance stores today and asked about any new advantiums coming out soon...both said the GE salesreps had not told them about anything new.
    Also I was amazed at how researching on this forum made me feel like I knew more than any salesman!

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Volume, volume, volume - there are so many of us on this forum, and with each of us asking our own set of questions, I think we are able to get more info than one sales / marketing rep. We've become so savvy that we have learned how to push just a little bit more than someone that isn't pre-armed with details. We also have more sources - our fellow posters that are industry professionals (Thansk guys!!) That's kind of a shame since the average buyer who doesn't have the advantage of this forum is left to only receive what is "allowed" to be revealed from the manufacturer or retailer. This forum is awesome!!

As I've posted before - REALLY, REALLY looking for any news on this. It's getting close to panic time - hurry up GE!!

• housecrazy1970
    16 years ago

lets keep this bumped I am also considering the new advantium 240

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Gneegirl: I'd invite you over this year, but we won't have a kitchen! We haven't even started demo yet and based on what I've been reading in the Kitchen forum...I'll be lucky to have a kitchen by Easter! [just kidding! I hope!]

I've been hosting Thanksgiving for my DH's side for several years...one of them better invite us this year!

Come on over next year! GWers are family after all, and we should spend the holidays with our families!

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Bump. I've got a 27" space and would love to have a 240 with the interior space of the 120v. Since we're still in the design phase, I can wait, but I, too, would like more reliable information. We're going to an Advantium cooking demo today and I will ask -- but of course, if they want to sell the ones they already have, they may not tell me. Will let you know if I learn anything new.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Bah. The Advantium cooking demo person never showed up so that was a wasted journey. At first, the appliance salesperson looked at me blankly when I asked about a new 240, and then she said she had also heard a rumor but no timetable and you can't depend on rumors.

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Hey buehl- If you haven't started, they may have the new 240 by the time you do. Maybe we should send this thread to GE so they can get started!! If it wasn't so frustrating, this would be funny. I think I stil have the biz card from the GE rep that I met at B&S's demo. Maybe I'll give her a call.

I just heard from my granite store that I may not have my cooktop in before Turkey Day since I have to have permits pulled for full heavy-up on my breaker box - in my area they have to pull both county and city. There was a thread about permit $$s, I think - it's all about more money, more money, more money.

I'll keep you in my thoughts on getting your kitchen complete quickly, and that darn elusive Advantium!!

• minnt
    16 years ago

I am just about to order my new appliances for our new house. I am so hoping GE has the updated 240 before I am forced to order the 120. I want whatever I get to match my convection, which GE has restyled. The 120 is restyled, but the 240 has not been restyled yet. I have my fingers crossed that it happens soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: My House Building Blog

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Still time for me gneegirl! I haven't yet ordered my MW and it will probably be a while yet...it's my fault. The design we had been working with was, in my opinion, OK...but it wasn't great, I didn't have the "that's it!" feeling. So I stopped on asked my KD to redesign...and GWers have been helping me too. I was supposed to get my KD's new design this week but she doesn't have it yet and she won't tell me what she's planning! She wants to work some things out first. With the GWers I have actually come up with 2 or 3 plans that I like MUCH better than the original one...but I had put certain constraints on my KD originally for the design...I lifted them this time...

Anyway...maybe if I stall long enough the new 240 will be out!

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Good luck wiht your new design. I'm so not trying to redesign but I may end up that way. Although, I finally found a REAL electrician yesterday and I may be able to finish sooner than I thought!! I won't need a full upgrade - just a new panel. He is going to rewire the entire house so that I won't have to run new lines for the Viking cooktop. I may have to have a new line run for the Advantium, but there's no hurry there. I haven't even picked out the bottom oven yet. The main problem was the cooktop. Now that I've decided on that, the next hurdle is picking out a countertop. I was trying for granite, but I don't think that will happen - too hard to match with my old cabinets. I think something black will work - maybe honed, but I'm far from a fanatic about keeping it up. So, I'm trying to convice myself that Silestone or something like it is OK. I so love the depth of granite colors though. After the counter and cooktop are in, I'll concentrat on the ovens. I do have the 120 builtin on reserve. I can't wait until everything is in so that I can start trying them out - especially the Advantium.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

We've been going 'round & 'round on the Silestone vs granite issue for awhile now. I think we're going to go with Silestone...Ebony Pearl or Stellar Night. But, until we've ordered who knows! I've been trying to find the Stargate or Silver Star Galaxy granite (from Zimbabwe or South Africa) but no one seems to have heard of it. Possibly Black Galaxy or Star Galaxy. Decisions, decisions!

My DH has been against granite b/c of maintenance issues but when I told him there was a "Stargate" color he became very open to the idea....his favorite TV show is/was Stargate SG-1! (one of my faves as well; that and Doctor Who & Eureka)

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

That's funny buehl. Ya know, laminate is looking pretty good right now. I'm so tire of this I could scream.

UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE:

I spoke with my salesman - the manager actually, and sorry guys - NO NEW ADVANTIUM any time soon. It's just not in the plans. He sounded as though he's been bombarded with questions about this, so I'm thinking he's checked enough to know. I know these guys pretty well - at least they know how persistent I've been about this. I don't think they would steer me wrong; at least I hope not - I'm buying a shipload of stuff from them by the time this is all done. Wish I had better news...

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

OK - I'm off of this thread now - there is no new Advantium news to report(what a shame!!) and I FOUND MY GRANITE! vrjames posted that the quarry closed last month - not sure if that is good news or not, when a quarry closes, but I'm thinking about having an extra slab saved just in case.

Anyway, I won't hold you up any longer on the OT post, but I had to let it out. This has been a struggle!!

BTW, I say let's put pen to paper to GE. I'm not sure why they won't update / upgrade the 240, because everyone raves about the features of the 120. It would be nice to have the 120 features in the heavy-duty model. Maybe they are planning something new and we will all be back here next year holding our breaths. Oh well, that's next year's kitchen project.

ciao!!

• minnt
    16 years ago

I decided to check one last time before I ordered my appliances for my new kitchen. My salesperson went up high at GE and no new 220V Advantium is in the works for the next 4-6 months. She has offered me a Trivection at the cost of a regular convection to match the old style 240 Advantium. What do you think? Think the advantages of the 240 are so much better than the newly restyled 120 Advantium? I have to get the old style Trivection to match the old style 220V Advantium.

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

The reason I wanted the restyled 120 was because of the larger space over the 240. It has much more space - I think. However,if you are getting the Trivection,you may want to go with the 240. Maybe you could try a different brand since the Advantium is a special use oven and doesn't necessesarily need to be an exact match - unlike say a double oven set up that would look better as a matched set. Good Luck with your selection!!

• solarpowered
    16 years ago

I agree that there is no a priori reason why different appliances need to "match." The primary need is that they meet your cooking needs. If different appliances happen to come from the same line from the same manufacture, and thus have coordinated appearance, OK, that's kind of nice. However, I don't feel a need for appliances to "match"--if different companies make the best products for various purposes, I'm more than happy to have appliances with different appearances.

• jscozz
    16 years ago

I thought I would bump this up and see if by chance, anyone has heard anything about a new Advantium 240 YET???

• Zoe52
    16 years ago

Just got back from the International Builders Convention in Orlando. They had the new Advantium 240 there and said it would be available this year in September. It also comes with an optional small drawer that fits below it and between the oven that can store its accessories.

• chipshot
    16 years ago

Thanks for following up on this, Zoe. Are there any functional changes?

• lnhardin
    16 years ago

I was at the Builders Show also and saw the new Advantium. It has a Proof mode and a couple of warming oven modes: a Crisp Warm mode and a Moist Warm mode. I got the impression these were new features, but to be honest, I've never checked out the Advantium before - these may be old hat to the rest of you.

• chipshot
    16 years ago

Warming oven modes? That sounds more like the 120V than the 240V.

• jscozz
    16 years ago

If anyone who was there happened to get any pictures? Details? Model #'s? Any additional info would be appreciated.

• chipshot
    16 years ago

Monograms aren't the only Advantiums (Advantia?) being updated. Unfortunately the timing isn't right for us. Unless, of course, I can convince my wife we should just leave that space empty for a few months. I mean "summer 2008" might mean June, right?

While the convection and warming oven features are nice, they're not big deals for me as we'll already have those capabilities in other appliances. What I most like the sound of is the additional capacity. One never knows when that might come in handy. Ditto for the money we'll still have in our pockets (or, more likely, spend elsewhere on the house). The new Advantiums are considerably more expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Profile Advantium

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

I wouldn't hold my breath, although the announcement at KBIS 2008 might indicate a better shot at it being true. Miele, I know, announced that their new induction cooktops would reach the US "by the end of 2007," but no. Then "beginning of 2008"; guess not. OK, "definitely April 2008". Well, close. They are only now just starting to ship them out, fully at least 9 months after the first announcement that they were coming. I sincerely hope that, for those who are willing and able to wait, that the new model arrives in time.

• luster
    15 years ago

As of Friday, these are still on schedule to become available in August. The Integrated (or European appearance with the thin tubular handle) will possibly be available in mid to late July. The pro version should be available by mid August.

Profile and Monogram versions should be become available at the same time.

The estimated ratail prices on the new Monogram Advantiums are the same as the current models. I'm not sure about Profile pricing.

Here are differences between the current 240s and the new versions:

1. Current models have two cooking modes (Speedcook and microwave) New models have 4 cooking modes (Speedcook, microwave, European convection oven, warming oven with proof setting)

2. Current models have a larger oven cavity. It has a 16" turntable and can hold a 9" x 13" casserole dish.

3. New ovens have the same cutout as the 120 models which is smaller than the current 240 cutout. However, an accessory pan drawer is available for the integrated version that when attached to the new 240, makes it fit in the old cutout.

4. Newer 240s are quieter.

5. New 240 has upgraded appearance and glass touch controls.

6. New 240 is available in pro apearance.

7. New 240 has an oven rack for multi-level baking.

I think that about covers it.

• starfish24
    15 years ago

Do you have specs available for the Monogram version? I'm still thinking about getting this, despite recent GE news. Am I nuts?!

• jeanne70
    15 years ago

Multi-level baking and room for a 9x13 baking dish might put this back in the running to pair with a single monogram oven instead of using the monogram double oven.

• ToxDocAR
    15 years ago

Luster
    Where did you get the info on the cutout dimensions for the new Monogram 240? I have the cutout for the old 240 already in my cabs. My appliances will be put in next week. I decided to wait until the new Monogram 240 comes out to get it. But I was told the cutouts are the same?

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

What info does anyone have on how the GE situation will impact appliance guarantee's on already installed products and future purchases? I'm not going to be ready for about a year but I have to plan my electric soon. I was planning on a Monogram wall oven and Advantium as a second oven eliminating the need for a MW. I'm concerned about committing "spec" wise to the GE products.