Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wolf counter steamer

Posted by harringk (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 15:49

I am in the process of looking for appliances for a new house build in 2014. Obviously, this is early, but I'm having fun looking at all the things that go into the build and hopefully by the time, we have to make a decision, it will be easy.
That said, I went to a sub zero/Wolf showroom today to look around and got a full tour that made me think this may be the route to go. One item in particular caught my eye and I want to know if anyone has one. It is the Wolf Countertop Steamer. Supposedly, it's great to use for rice,pasta or even a slow cooker. It doesn't have to be plumbed, but if you put it near a sink, it can drain directly from the steamer into the drain. I loved the idea, but do I need it? No Do I want it, maybe:) So, anyone out there with comments, I would love to hear them

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wolf counter steamer

how many nites a week do you currently make rice, steam veggies or meats, or reheat pasta ?

how much do you value "wow" factor or having something the Jones' don't

o

We would actually use it a lot, but of course I can make rice, pasta and steam vegetables on the stove as I do now, rather than have a fancy new appliance. The question was does anyone actually have it and do they find it that amazing that they would recommend it.

o

So.... you'll use it enough to warrant it, can afford it, but want complete strangers to "convince" you to buy it ???

It works as advertised and is well made. These are not mainstream appliances so you will not find a large sample of people top weigh in, mostly because few people want one and of those that do - even fewer have the $$$ and counterspace to devote to one.

Get one, you'll love it.

o

I thought about it, but a more flexible option is to buy a combi/steam oven. The combi will do everything the steamer does and more. The oven also keeps the counter space usable.

If you do buy one, plumb it and don't put it near the sink. Real estate around the sink is premium and you don't need that space taken up by a steamer. Be aware what is above the steamer as steam and wood cabinets do not mix well long term.

o

thanks timdeb for your helpful comments. I was wondering if you ended up purchasing the steamer/oven. If so, how have you liked it and if you have used it as much as you thought you would?
Thanks

o

My kitchen remodel is still 18 months away, I just like to do very long term planning.

Most of my cooking for the last 2.5 years has sous vide cooking with Polyscience Immersion Circulators (I have two). If I need to cook rice I use a rice cooker. Pasta is cooked in a big pot of boiling water. My new kitchen will have a Rational Combi Oven (used in commercial kitchens). I got a culinary degree to improve my home cooking, so I am use to using commercial style equipment. My kitchen will not grace the pages of Better Homes and Gardens, but it will be used everyday to cook.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here