Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
the top of your head and your appliances

Posted by cottonpenny (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 15:30

DH are average in height (me 5'5", him 5'11").

Will we have any problem with a 27" deep hood?

Saw a Liebherr fridge today and I'm in love - but will I be annoyed reaching that top shelf (80" tall)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: the top of your head and your appliances

Depends on the height of the hood. A sketch of a side view of the layout with appropriate stick figures and waist bending point will reveal any issues.

kas

o

I have a 24" hood that I pulled out 3" for a 27" depth. It's mounted 30" above the surface of the range. I'm the same height as your husband and I haven't bumped my head on the hood yet in almost six months of routine use. While cooking on the front burners, I'm at least a couple of inches off the range, so the hood isn't an issue. When reaching for the rear burners, I'm bent over a little so I'm under the hood, but don't hit it. It's close, but not a problem. If you can, I'd recommend an inch or two higher. But if you can't, I wouldn't recommend anything lower than 30" above the range.

Before installation, I had spec'd for it to be installed at least 32" above the range using 8" rectangular duct. But the contractor used 10" round. I went so far was to order a different transition part for the hood to get back an inch. But after testing it a bit, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of reinstalling the hood. So far so good. I'm still out $90 because I couldn't return the part, but oh well.

o

27" does not normally present issues with head banging, we always recommend 27" depth over 24" due to increased capture area, capture area is king when it comes to a functional hood.

I think you will be fine, we put a 27" depth hood in the cooking school set it at 31" above counter height and to date have not had any issues at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here