Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkgj

propane versus natural gas

mkgj
10 years ago

I have propane gas and would like to use a gas range. Does anyone have experience with this arrangement? Any problems or issues?
thanks!

Comments (6)

• chas045
    10 years ago

I suspect that if you purchased a pro style range that there might not be any performance issues because I assume that they have old fashioned burner design with both air shutters and gas orifice adjustment. However, if you got a sealed burner style without air adjustment, you might be somewhat displeased. I am in the latter situation. My gas cook-top was made for natural gas and was converted with new orifices and a reset regulator. This is the common approach. I suppose that some higher end units might have specially designed propane units, but maybe not.

I had two issues. First; it is not necessarily easy to get the precise orifice for a burner to exactly balance the air to gas ratio for a good flame, and the only adjustment is to change the orifice again (and again if one even exists). The second issue is that the valves (the knob travel) were designed for natural gas and now my highest settings are mostly reached at one half the valve/knob travel which is a marked setting of medium more or less.

The other issue is that propane must be locally transported and is usually much more costly than natural gas, particularly in certain parts of the country. I wanted gas for control, perhaps power outages, and low cost (I had lived with natural gas for 50 years). When we moved in, propane cost much less than now. Electricity is a better deal now here. Perhaps price will drop with so much gas production, but it hasn't made much difference yet. Except for outage issues, and knowing what I do now, I would probably consider induction.

• mjocean
    10 years ago

Hi,
    I have propane for a Wolf range top. Wolf manufactures both propane and natural gas appliances, so no conversion was required. The burners are sealed. I am told sealed burners and propane reduce output, however I am very pleased with the performance. I hope this helps.
    MJ

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I have propane, my DCS range could be ordered for NG or Propane.

• stevep2005
    10 years ago

I have propane for my BlueStar range top (ordered for propane), gas dryer (conversion kit), and furnace (conversion kit).

Propane theoretically burns a little hotter than NG (a plus) but carries more moisture. Bluestar burners are cast iron so the big 22k btu open burners show traces of rust around the gas ports. Bluestar confirmed that this is normal with propane on their 22k burners. It does not impact performance. I suppose if you also get a gas oven and like to bake bread the extra moisture of propane should be a big plus.

I grew up with NG and when I saw the crazy cost of running natural gas to the house we were building I was ready to sell - no way I would do electric. When I asked users here 8 or so years ago about cooking with propane they assured me it was a great option. I was not steered wrong.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Our county has a law that propane can't be used inside the home in a kitchen or fireplace. Fumes hang too low and can be toxic. Something like that. The inspector stopped the propane from coming in the house. I was very disappointed because we wanted a gas cooktop and a gas fireplace lighter.

I am almost as happy with my new induction cooktop and have discovered the joy of using pinecones (legion here) dipped in wax as fire starters.

Our property is on a hillside covered in boulders, and the gas company will NEVER pay to get a gas line up here. Shrug.

Be careful cooking with propane inside.

Suzi

• mkgj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the information! It is a great help!