Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimman

Building home - Builder can't supply Bluestar - other options are

Marc Miller
11 years ago

My builder cannot supply Bluestar products which I had my heart set on (36" 6-burner). So I need to select from the brands they can get. Any opinions on a 6 burner from one of these brands that the builder has access to?
Alfresco
Amana
Asko
Best
Bosch
Broan
Electrolux
Frigidaire
GE
GE Cafe
GE Monogram
GE Profile
Jenn-Air
Kitchenaid
Lynx
Maytag
Sub-Zero
Thermador
U-Line
Vent-A-Hood
Viking
Whirlpool
Wolf
Zephyr

I don't necessarily need gas although my wife likes the look of it over electric smooth tops. I would consider induction and was looking at the Bosch 800 series 36". Any other recommendations from the brands above on induction units?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• weissman
    11 years ago

Can't you get an allowance from the builder and buy the appliances you want yourself? If you're building a new home, you should get what you want!

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

You have a signed contract with the builder stating you are getting all your appliances through them?

Otherwise I don't know why you can't come to an arrangement on an installation fee and get the Bluestar you want somewhere else.

The best rangetop from that list is Thermador and the best ovens are from Wolf.

The best induction cooktop is from Thermador too. The 36" units range from $3k to $5k for the zoneless. But even the least expensive unit gives you a 4.6kw power hob. vs the 2.8 kw power hob on the Bosch induction unit.

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've been back and forth with the builder. Any appliance which has to be installed prior to a CO being issued needs to be spec'd by them. As well, as this is a gas unit, the building inspector will not sign off on the inspection unless something is connected to the gas line. I asked if they could put in a basic unit and then we could come in after the close and install the BS. They hesitated as the granite and cabinets have to be built to the size of the rangetop and I know there would be issues if we went with a unit with different specs from the BS and then installed the BS after close. I'm pissed but there is little I can do. The builder is very willing to work with us in certain aspects of constructions but it seems as far as the rangetop it's a no go. We are buying our own fridge and bringing that in after close as that is not required for the CO.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

You have a lot to choose from - Do a search for induction and you can see posts on the Bosch, Thermador, Wolf, KA(not good as I remember), Elux and others.

I was born in Reading and never heard of BS until recently - but my DM was aware of them.

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If it has to be induction I'm definitely not going with KA. Bosch has some great reviews as well as the other brands. Still trying to get the builder to let me purchase a BS and give it to them for install. Time will tell how all this works out.

• gbsim1
    11 years ago

Someone once told me that they got a CO with just a microwave. Apparently where they were you just needed a cooking source.
    As far as the gas line, I'm not sure you're right about needing something connected. We've got two fireplaces with gas lines run to them but stubbed off and not being used and we had no issues with a CO.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

viking has a nice looking 6-element induction top with knobs.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Here is a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viking 36 all induction