Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dando_gw

When attempting to make a STATEMENT!

Dando
12 years ago

Just make sure that statement doesn't turn out to be.

"I'm an idiot." LOL!! (I'm still undecided about this...probably should have left it black).

Comments (28)

• plllog
    12 years ago

I LIKE it!!!

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

I like it!

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

Well done - unless it was red and you painted it gray. Then it's rather drab.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Where is the part that reads "you're an idiot"? Don't see it.

• asolo
    12 years ago

I have seen the future. This ain't it.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

It looks very good with the green in your kitchen.

• llaatt22
    12 years ago

AOK!

• doc8404
    12 years ago

Not my cup of tea but - To each their own.

• Dando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Countertops are copper, lots of the "decor" is copper also.
    That's not WHY I chose a burnt orange color, but, it's why I thought I could get away with it.
    My other alternative was to repaint it black. And after seeing how well fingerprints and scratches showed up, I decided I'd try the orange.
    I'm going to give it some time, still not 100% convinced orange was the thing.
    BUT, if I change it to black, It will be a "matt/satin" finish instead of gloss.

• kaseki
    12 years ago

Repainting to the standard of quality needed might not prove to be very easy. Purchasing a new door skin or even door would be better.

kas

• Dando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ya might not like the color, but, I'm certain the quality exceeds that of the manufacturer.

• User
    12 years ago

I personally love the orange. It reminds me of those 60's Malm fireplaces. You just need to do the lower door now and get some funky retro fabric or wallpaper to sprinkle into the room.

A single wall of this in the breakfast area would be uber cool!

And can an orange macramed owl be far behind?

• Dando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Major Nelson?

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I'm never a big orange fan, but I think this looks great... Suiting to the style of the appliance.

• User
    12 years ago

It's not bad, just do the other door like it!
    IT'S ABOUT WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY! And it's personal touch to your kitchen that is a focal point!

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

Dando - I'm confused. Did you have the door painted or did you buy it that way? At first I thought you did it and wondered why you didn't do both, but then I see the mfr offers colors but just for the upper door.

In any case, I've looked at this thread several times and have come to the conclusion that your picture above happens to display somewhat ugly, but looking at your other pictures, and seeing the ovens within the context of your whole kitchen, it really works. I say live with it for a bit before doing anything drastic.

• Dando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TurboChef sells these with your choice of several colors of the upper door. The rest of the oven is stainless. No chioce on that.
    I bought it from a photo (the upper door was black).
    I liked it black, and eagerly awaited my shipment to arrive.
    It arrived in fairly sad shape. The door needed to be repainted. (scratches, dents).
    As I was buying the black paint, I thought...WHY NOT! And, instead of black, I got this burnt orange color instead.
    It's not the same color orange as TurboChef sells. It's considerably darker, and metalic.
    I just figured if I didn't like it, I could always repaint it back black.

But, in the kitchen, I "think" it actually looks good.
    Although, black STILL might look better.

I'm just going to leave comment cards on the kitchen table and see what happens. LOL!

• plllog
    12 years ago

It's an oven! How does it cook?

• PeterH2
    12 years ago

TurboChef's standard orange is a bit shocking for my tastes, but I think your version looks rather stylish.

• Dando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ouch. Probably won't know how it cooks until we get moved.
    BUT, you are correct, oven.
    I just thought a little bling would be nice, and since I don't have a fan above my stove.....

• plllog
    12 years ago

No, no, that wasn't a slam!!! I posted the first "I LIKE it". I meant that now that it's done and looks great it's not worth worrying about whether black would have been even more great and let's get on with the cooking. I know how easy it is to get caught up in getting the pretty just right.

Also, if you live with it awhile and give it a chance to get scratched up a bit, you'd have a good excuse for changing it up again if you still want to try the black....

It's great bling. :)

• polie
    12 years ago

I like, I like.

• Dando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You got me wondering though. SO, I powered it up last night.
    "almost" reluctantly. My track record with things like this isn't good.
    Most people expect something new to work great the minute it's installed. Me? I expect to be digging for a phone number to call to ask "why won't it work?"
    BUT, so far so good. Not "cooked" yet, but, all the controls, buttons, and functions seem to work.
    1st thing I did was change the display screen color to ORANGE. lol!!!!

• plllog
    12 years ago

Oh, COOL! A retro screen color to go with the delicious retro curvy door!

I'll keep a good thought that the success with the controls belies a no phone number needed cooking future. :)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

That's awesome. I just bought my first new car. It's metallic burnt orange. I want your oven now to match.
    Renee

• Dando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Renee, did you buy a Dodge Charger?
    BTW: This darn oven...IS my new car. LOL!

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

It would look awsome if you painted the bottom door to match.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

I'm really grooving on the orange vibe! But then, I've always wanted the Malm fireplace that Holly posted too!