Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

Finally received my Buy Back Check

mboston_gw
10 years ago

If you google Samsung Refrigerators, you will probably find my long rants about my ice maker problems with my Samsung French Door.

It took me six months from the request for the first repair, through all but one of the parts being replaced, to being given 3 options of which "one more repair" (the door) with an option of a "Buy Back" at 90% of the cost of the fridge, being the one I took. This was from the "Executive Level of Customer Service". When I acted upon it, I was told I was never offered that, they had no record of the person I spoke with, that IF I was told that I should not have been, etc.... Each time I spoke with a person, I tried to get their name, the Transaction number and I asked to have their response emailed to me. I was always told that was not necessary, they couldn't do it, etc. that they had it in my records.

Well, finally in late Nov., the paperwork for a Buy Back was submitted. I actually caused a delay but sending the wrong paperwork but that was corrected by Fax in a week. I heard nothing from them over the next month. When I did contact them after the New Year, we started back over with the "you were never approved for a Buy Back, you were never told...same old, same old story. I told him the paperwork had already been submitted but he could not find the Paperwork I faxed in early Dec. After about an hour on the phone and multiple "2-3 minutes while I research this" holds, he finally said, "Yeah, I found it, It had not been attached to your Transaction Number! He sent it on to the Refund Dept. to be processed and I get a phone message that it had been denied because "I had not acted on it within the two weeks from it being first offer in Oct. How can they deny an offer THEY made??

So, I gather all my paperwork, notes, dates, names, transaction numbers, paperwork from the repair companies and I type it all up and mail it (Registered)to the Office of the President in New Jersey. There is a long story to how long it took to get that address. Within a couple of weeks, I get a phone call that the Buy Back has been denied "because it has been too long and I did not request it within the two weeks of it being offered." The person made the mistake of leaving a phone number so I called back and of course got someone else. Yes, it had been two weeks from the offer but we had the delay of the last part being replaced because we had to start over with a new repair company and of course they never do anything the first time they come out, so that took two weeks. But I did request the Buy Back within a week of the last repair being done.

Anyway, after going through ALL the details, delays, issues with the people I had to speak with, this nice lady offered to resubmit it. Within a couple of days, I was sent paperwork to fill out that included pics that I had to send showing that we had removed the label that had the model and serial number on it and that we had cut the cord. Within a couple of weeks, we had a check, for less than the 90%, actually, it was prorated at 10% off each year and we had this fridge for about a year and a half.

So, what this all says is:

1. Document everything - name of representative you speak with, get transaction number, ask for an email of what will be done and if they won't do it, note that too.

2. Know that any part that is replaced should be wrapped, write down the number of that part. I actually had one repair company try to put on a used part - because the owner of the company ordered the wrong part. The tech showed me what he was told to put on and it was scratched and dirty - probably had been taken out from my fridge two weeks earlier.

3. Know that any part that is put on has a 30 day warranty to it.
So if it fails, you should not be charged for the follow up. And if you still have problems or the part does not solve the problem, you are still working to fix the original problem. This played into my situation because I was still under warranty when we started, but the warranty expired in Oct., two months later and the problem had not been fixed.

4. Get paperwork from the repair man even if he doesn't replace parts. It shows your transaction number and it documents the time frame you are dealing with.

5. Ask to speak with someone high up the chain when things first start going wrong. I didn't do it early enough. I waited till the issue with the used part and the repair company not answering my calls. They have an "Executive Level" of Customer Service.
Those people have more authority to make decisions, although, this is where I started getting the "he should not have told you that or there is no person here by that name."

6. Ask for a phone number for that person in Executive Level. I was given a number to put in after the initial "Welcome to..." I had trouble getting it to work but it did help me when I went through the system to the lower level representative and she connected me to that person. I realized after a couple tries that you are then "on hold" for that person and there is nothing but silence until he answers, no recording, no beepng, etc.

7. When all else fails, do not give up. I think they were trying to give me the go around, hoping, I would get tired and give up.
Didn't work this time. I was always nice on the phone with the lower level reps - they are just doing what they are told but when I started hearing the renegging on the Buy Back from the Executive Level People, I held my ground.

8. Register your appliance. It gives you three months additonal warranty. My problems started in that time frame, after the year warranty.

9. You can contact me if you would like phone numbers other than the customer service 1-800-number. I won't put them on here but I will share.

Comment (1)