Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
noisy new ge cafe french door 25.1 cu ft

Posted by cparlf (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 15:08

If anyone has a GE Cafe french door refrigerator, could you help me? We just bought a new GE Cafe 25.1 cu ft french door refrigerator. Love the look, love the interior (well, not a lot of room for tall things but I think this is common with all FD models?), but this unit makes a LOUD whirring noise I can hear 50 feet away. It stops when I open the door. It originates from inside, top left area near the rear side raised fan vent.

Say the word "were" out loud, and hold the "ere" sound. Make it a bit raspy and you have the sound. It is on seemingly all the time, not just when the compressor cycles etc.

Two Ge reps, one just this morning told me it is normal and GE will not do anything because this is a normal sound. It is supposedly the sound of the refrigerant flowing back. Really?

I've never spent so much on a fridge, and I've never had this loud of a unit. Other noises are all really quiet and expected, like ice machine etc.

Would you please listen to yours and let me know? I'm all ears.......thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: noisy new ge cafe french door 25.1 cu ft

Bad customer service on GE's part. They should trouble shoot with you. Make a tape, or download the decimal recording app on your smart phone and report it back to them. Don't take their "no" for an answer as yet. This doesn't sound right. GE should do better if they want our business.

o

Fridges make noise - they are not quiet.

New fridges , especially those with variable speed (efficient) compressors make a different sound than your last fridge or the one your momma had.

You may not like the noise, or find it louder than your last model/brand - but that doesn't make it abnormal for a particular model.

Even if you choose to disagree with me or simply cannot stand the sounds the unit makes - you are not going to get a new fridge from GE.

Your choice is to live with it -or- sell it and get another brand. Be sure it comes with a $$$ back guarantee so you can try it in your kitchen to see if it passes your sound test.

o

I used a GE cafe FD fridge for a year in our temporary house during your whole house reno. I hated the thing. The noise was so bad that it bothered me quite a distance away in the family room where we spent our evenings. I don't know from where the noise emanated. I just know I couldn't wait to get away from it. I also discovered my intense dislike for French door fridges when using that one.

Sorry you're dealing with this!

o

That is ridiculous that GE tells you that the noise is "normal" without even looking at the refrigerator. They need to send someone out to look at it. My KA makes a variety of different noises, but it also remains completely quiet for long periods of time. My last fridge was a GE. I complained about excessive noise when it was new and they sent a service tech out ... he said it was normal. The noise continued and I called again. The second guy determined that there was something wrong with the evaporative fan. It was replaced and the noise stopped. If you feel that the noise is excessive and constant, call and insist that they send someone out. Customer service cannot diagnose the problem over the phone.

o

My Electrolux CD FD also makes more noise than my old fridge (a 8 year old GE), but it's not horrible, and the manuel tells you that how you know it's working efficiently ;) Ridiculous. But I love it, and it is silent at times. I think I'd go nuts if it was louder. I'd go through GE again.

o

Set aside 2 hours and take that back plenum/shroud off around the evap fan, which is what is probably making that noise. You may find something loose, or ice around the fan or some other [maybe legit] reason for the noise.
Waiting for GE might only yield gray hair. Take responsibility for your own situation and see if you can fix it yourself.

o

I have a GE Adora French Door 29cu.ft. refrigerator. I read mixed reviews about it being loud before I bought it. I don't think it is loud at all. My refrigerator is in a wood cabinet enclosure that covers the sides all the way to the door hinges. Maybe this makes it slightly quieter. There are some pops and other noises that it makes occasionally but not too often and it isn't in any way too anoying. It does run most of the time so there is always a hum when it is running but nothing too bad. I think my couch is about 20 feet away from the refrigerator. I can hear the refrigerator if the tv isn't on but unfortunately that is rarely is the case in our house. The refrigerator is quieter than any microwave or exhaust fan on low that I have seen. It controls temp perfectly although it took 2 days to get the temperature stable when it was first plugged in. The real issue I have is with the icemaker on the door. Half the time the ice gets stuck behind the door and I end up lifting the door to the chute manually. I still need to call for service to see if they can fix it. It seems like the door should open farther than it does. I can open it wider by hand than it does automatically.

o

You "just bought," like how long ago? I'd call the appliance company and tell them you want to return it for something else.

We have a Frigidaire that periodically makes terrible noise, and an appliance dude (that we are on a fix it program with) comes out and fixes it. I'll NEVER buy another Frigidaire! We are looking at a french door counter depth, and it will be either Samsung or Kitchen Aid.

Good luck! Noisy appliances suck!

The killer is, we're keeping the old Frigidaire for extra storage in the garage where only the rats will hear the noise!! The new sweet noiseless one will go into the kitchen.

Suzi

o

Huh, feel like I'm going to jinx myself here, but my Cafe FD doesn't make that noise. Every once in a while I notice sound when the ice is doing its thing, but nothing like what you're experiencing. That would make me crazy, and I'm sure that I would have noted anything like that. Have used the unit since December 2010.

o

We had the same fault and quite a few other issues with ours as well the problem is we are based in london uk and it has turned out to be difficult to get anyone capable to fix ot even wants to touch this machine in that ge no longer operate in the uk, in the end after endless emails they finally gave me the contact details of a service company in the london area agsrefrigeration they came out and the problem has been fixed however i will not be purchasing one of these appliances again.

o

Consumer Reports rates refrigerators on noise level. Depending on the model it might be excellent or average. When we bought new fridge with our last remodel selected for low noise. My LG LFX25950 is relatively quiet, and much quieter than its predecessor. It is a French door bottom freezer that has a fan that circulates air around the interior to keep the temperature even top to bottom. That fan will shut off when the doors open and kick back on when doors are closed. You may have a fan that serves a similar function.

There are free decibel meters you can load onto your smartphone. They probably aren't terribly accurate but you can calibrate it and quantify for a service tech how much noise is being generated. That might help with diagnosis (e.g., normal noise for model, or something's wrong).

Let me know the model #. If it's rated by Consumer Reports I can give you the info.

o

I just installed a GE Cafe refrigerator (mine is model# CYE23TSDSS), and the noise is driving me crazy. This might be the same noise that the OP is referring to. It's much louder than my old crappy Frigidaire, which is still sitting in my living room. The noise cuts out when the door is open.

I realize that these new variable-speed compressor fridges sound different, but this noise level is just unacceptable. It's the sound of a motor running, which is really, really, really, really annoying. It is driving me crazy, and I'm not sure I can stand having this fridge.

Does anyone know what the expected noise level (dB) is for this fridge?

Thanks.

o

They just installed the CYE23TSDSS today and mine does not make the noise that a lot of people are complaining about. Like the poster above, mine is in an enclosed cabinet with only the doors exposed. My cabinet is 27"D x 36"W x 70 1/2"H. Maybe this helps to reduce any noise. I had an Electrolux CD FD and this does not make any more noise than that one did. Except for the long drawer that I will not be able to get out because of the door, I really like this one so far.

o

Hello Ed,

thank you for your offer of checking the refrigerator on Consumer Reports. The one I just had installed is
CFE29TSDCSS

Mine make the same noise (only when it is running though) however, it is quite annoying.

Thanks in advance!
mrao77

o

Hello Ed,

thank you for your offer of checking the refrigerator on Consumer Reports. The one I just had installed is
CFE29TSDCSS

Mine make the same noise (only when it is running though) however, it is quite annoying.

Thanks in advance!
mrao77

o

EASY FIX PLEASE READ.
Nobody has really addressed the issue here, so I guess I will take a stab at it.
ICE. Ice is the culprit. A faulty water delivery system to the ice maker at the very top inside the freezer allows water to freeze in the small trough that directs the water to the ice tray. This will eventually lead to water running down to the air circulatory fan directly below. Sometimes a piece of ice will break off and fall down onto the fan. When this happens the fridge suddenly begins to make a loud fan or pump noise (imagine a fan blade rubbing on a piece of ice... gggggggg) that will quiet down after an hour or so when the fan wears the ice down a bit, but will not go completely away.
DEFROST THE FREEZER and the noise will go away.
This happened to mine after a year of operation. Easy to fix though.
If you find this is your fix, keep an eye on the water delivery trough to the ice tray and clean it when it begins to build up ice and you will prevent further difficulties here.

Imagine all the repair men who were paid $100 an hour to defrost a freezer. It takes about 2 hours so you can save $200 to defrost your self.

Don't be fooled that there is no frost inside the freezer. There can still be ice build up around the fan

o

Thnx Mr. Muck! Yottaflops in December seems to have the same concern. It stops when I open the door. I have mine enclosed in a cabinet now, and that seems to muffle the sound. I dont think it is the ice maker, this sounds more like a small electric motor running. Not a chirping or grinding sound. I can live with it, I am a year older and my hearing a year less. I do seem to need to open the ice maker door and knock on the tray now and again to free up the ice that gets stuck and keeps the maker from makling.

Cheers and thnx for responding! The Cafe range is killer though, we LOVE it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here