Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cparlf

noisy new ge cafe french door 25.1 cu ft

cparlf
11 years ago

If anyone has a GE Cafe french door refrigerator, could you help me? We just bought a new GE Cafe 25.1 cu ft french door refrigerator. Love the look, love the interior (well, not a lot of room for tall things but I think this is common with all FD models?), but this unit makes a LOUD whirring noise I can hear 50 feet away. It stops when I open the door. It originates from inside, top left area near the rear side raised fan vent.

Say the word "were" out loud, and hold the "ere" sound. Make it a bit raspy and you have the sound. It is on seemingly all the time, not just when the compressor cycles etc.

Two Ge reps, one just this morning told me it is normal and GE will not do anything because this is a normal sound. It is supposedly the sound of the refrigerant flowing back. Really?

I've never spent so much on a fridge, and I've never had this loud of a unit. Other noises are all really quiet and expected, like ice machine etc.

Would you please listen to yours and let me know? I'm all ears.......thanks!

Comments (55)

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Set aside 2 hours and take that back plenum/shroud off around the evap fan, which is what is probably making that noise. You may find something loose, or ice around the fan or some other [maybe legit] reason for the noise.
    Waiting for GE might only yield gray hair. Take responsibility for your own situation and see if you can fix it yourself.

• Tom2013
    11 years ago

I have a GE Adora French Door 29cu.ft. refrigerator. I read mixed reviews about it being loud before I bought it. I don't think it is loud at all. My refrigerator is in a wood cabinet enclosure that covers the sides all the way to the door hinges. Maybe this makes it slightly quieter. There are some pops and other noises that it makes occasionally but not too often and it isn't in any way too anoying. It does run most of the time so there is always a hum when it is running but nothing too bad. I think my couch is about 20 feet away from the refrigerator. I can hear the refrigerator if the tv isn't on but unfortunately that is rarely is the case in our house. The refrigerator is quieter than any microwave or exhaust fan on low that I have seen. It controls temp perfectly although it took 2 days to get the temperature stable when it was first plugged in. The real issue I have is with the icemaker on the door. Half the time the ice gets stuck behind the door and I end up lifting the door to the chute manually. I still need to call for service to see if they can fix it. It seems like the door should open farther than it does. I can open it wider by hand than it does automatically.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

You "just bought," like how long ago? I'd call the appliance company and tell them you want to return it for something else.

We have a Frigidaire that periodically makes terrible noise, and an appliance dude (that we are on a fix it program with) comes out and fixes it. I'll NEVER buy another Frigidaire! We are looking at a french door counter depth, and it will be either Samsung or Kitchen Aid.

Good luck! Noisy appliances suck!

The killer is, we're keeping the old Frigidaire for extra storage in the garage where only the rats will hear the noise!! The new sweet noiseless one will go into the kitchen.

Suzi

• cluelessincolorado
    11 years ago

Huh, feel like I'm going to jinx myself here, but my Cafe FD doesn't make that noise. Every once in a while I notice sound when the ice is doing its thing, but nothing like what you're experiencing. That would make me crazy, and I'm sure that I would have noted anything like that. Have used the unit since December 2010.

• eric12
    10 years ago

We had the same fault and quite a few other issues with ours as well the problem is we are based in london uk and it has turned out to be difficult to get anyone capable to fix ot even wants to touch this machine in that ge no longer operate in the uk, in the end after endless emails they finally gave me the contact details of a service company in the london area agsrefrigeration they came out and the problem has been fixed however i will not be purchasing one of these appliances again.

• Ed-C
    10 years ago

Consumer Reports rates refrigerators on noise level. Depending on the model it might be excellent or average. When we bought new fridge with our last remodel selected for low noise. My LG LFX25950 is relatively quiet, and much quieter than its predecessor. It is a French door bottom freezer that has a fan that circulates air around the interior to keep the temperature even top to bottom. That fan will shut off when the doors open and kick back on when doors are closed. You may have a fan that serves a similar function.

There are free decibel meters you can load onto your smartphone. They probably aren't terribly accurate but you can calibrate it and quantify for a service tech how much noise is being generated. That might help with diagnosis (e.g., normal noise for model, or something's wrong).

Let me know the model #. If it's rated by Consumer Reports I can give you the info.

• yottaflops
    10 years ago

I just installed a GE Cafe refrigerator (mine is model# CYE23TSDSS), and the noise is driving me crazy. This might be the same noise that the OP is referring to. It's much louder than my old crappy Frigidaire, which is still sitting in my living room. The noise cuts out when the door is open.

I realize that these new variable-speed compressor fridges sound different, but this noise level is just unacceptable. It's the sound of a motor running, which is really, really, really, really annoying. It is driving me crazy, and I'm not sure I can stand having this fridge.

Does anyone know what the expected noise level (dB) is for this fridge?

Thanks.

• ami6210
    10 years ago

They just installed the CYE23TSDSS today and mine does not make the noise that a lot of people are complaining about. Like the poster above, mine is in an enclosed cabinet with only the doors exposed. My cabinet is 27"D x 36"W x 70 1/2"H. Maybe this helps to reduce any noise. I had an Electrolux CD FD and this does not make any more noise than that one did. Except for the long drawer that I will not be able to get out because of the door, I really like this one so far.

• mrao77
    10 years ago

Hello Ed,

thank you for your offer of checking the refrigerator on Consumer Reports. The one I just had installed is
    CFE29TSDCSS

Mine make the same noise (only when it is running though) however, it is quite annoying.

Thanks in advance!
    mrao77

• mrao77
    10 years ago

Hello Ed,

thank you for your offer of checking the refrigerator on Consumer Reports. The one I just had installed is
    CFE29TSDCSS

Mine make the same noise (only when it is running though) however, it is quite annoying.

Thanks in advance!
    mrao77

• MuckyMuck
    9 years ago

EASY FIX PLEASE READ.
    Nobody has really addressed the issue here, so I guess I will take a stab at it.
    ICE. Ice is the culprit. A faulty water delivery system to the ice maker at the very top inside the freezer allows water to freeze in the small trough that directs the water to the ice tray. This will eventually lead to water running down to the air circulatory fan directly below. Sometimes a piece of ice will break off and fall down onto the fan. When this happens the fridge suddenly begins to make a loud fan or pump noise (imagine a fan blade rubbing on a piece of ice... gggggggg) that will quiet down after an hour or so when the fan wears the ice down a bit, but will not go completely away.
    DEFROST THE FREEZER and the noise will go away.
    This happened to mine after a year of operation. Easy to fix though.
    If you find this is your fix, keep an eye on the water delivery trough to the ice tray and clean it when it begins to build up ice and you will prevent further difficulties here.

Imagine all the repair men who were paid $100 an hour to defrost a freezer. It takes about 2 hours so you can save $200 to defrost your self.

Don't be fooled that there is no frost inside the freezer. There can still be ice build up around the fan

• cparlf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thnx Mr. Muck! Yottaflops in December seems to have the same concern. It stops when I open the door. I have mine enclosed in a cabinet now, and that seems to muffle the sound. I dont think it is the ice maker, this sounds more like a small electric motor running. Not a chirping or grinding sound. I can live with it, I am a year older and my hearing a year less. I do seem to need to open the ice maker door and knock on the tray now and again to free up the ice that gets stuck and keeps the maker from makling.

Cheers and thnx for responding! The Cafe range is killer though, we LOVE it.

• llevell
    9 years ago

**ANOTHER POTENTIAL FIX**

We had a new home finished in June of 2014. All the appliances (save fridge) were GE. Keeping things simple I figured we'd buy the matching french door counter depth. I as well read some complaints of noise regarding the unit, but assumed it wouldn't be as described by some. Wrong.

The first unit immediately off the truck made terrible, down right obnoxious, rattling. Even the young man installing the fridge was on the verge of embarrassed. Back it went for another unit, although if I was wise enough I would have gathered I'd have the same issue with the next and should have refunded for another model.

The second arrived and seemed like a better unit just in the appearance alone. It plugged in and fired up with no noticeable noise. Fast forward a couple months.

Slowly but surely the rattle developed over time. Enough that a call to GE service was in order. A tech came out and assessed the unit. He stated it must be a fan issue and placed an order for the new internal shroud and fan (behind and below the drink drawer). The part showed up in about a week and he was there shortly after to install.

As he was installing, politely I left him in short supervision, I did notice the significant ice build up behind the shroud (ah, the culprit I assumed). He thawed the ice with a hair dryer type device and installed the new part. Fridge again was quiet with normal noise levels.

And a few months later, again, rattle-rattle-rattle.

Upon closer inspection, I found the specific noise could be dampened by pushing on the door handles or fridge frame it's self. Odd I thought for a noise as annoying it was, could so simply be muted.

A little more poking and prodding lead me to assume much of the issue may be attributed to the fridge frame either not square or out of plumb just enough for the compressor or a fan contacting somewhere transmitting a vibration.

As simple as it seems, which has appeared to work a miracle for the time being, I adjusted the front feet to lift and remove the pressure off the front rollers while still maintaining left/right level. Upon raising the front of the fridge, I immediately noticed more warm air exhausting from underneath and instantly our pestering rattle all but disappeared. No kidding.

So in short, If you're at wits end with a noisy fridge, maybe what I've stumbled upon will help someone with similar frustration. I can't say it's solved the issue long term but quiet as can be for now.

• Sandy Katos
    8 years ago

Thank you!! Hopefully my husband can make the adjustment you speak of. The rattling is making me INSANE! It can also be quietened by gently pushing the handle, so hopefully, your fix will work.

• Casey Bush
    8 years ago

Well, just installed this fridge 2 days ago. Looks amazing, but I'm going crazy with the motor sound.... I can't stand it. It started right away and doesn't seem to be the ice maker or defrost situation others are describing. And, yes it stops when the left door is open. The problem with exchanging it is, we ordered it in the "matte" finish... GE is the only one I've seen to have this. Anyone else know of a comparible fridge that comes in the "matte" to avoid finger prints? I just can't live with that noise...

• paashton
    8 years ago

The year warranty on my new GE Profile (PWE23KSDSS) is about up. Pricey counter depth refrigerator that I would trade for my 12 year old refrigerator in a heartbeat. I can put up with the constant whirring noise, but what really drives me crazy is the rhythmic whirring (WHOOOO …. whoooo …..WHOOOOO …. whoooo …). Now when I go to someone's house I go listen to their frig. No one else's refrigerator makes this noise. Anyone else having this rhythmic sound issue?

• charon70
    8 years ago

I have a GE cafe French Door fridge that I purchased about 2 years ago. I love it!! It does not make any noises like the one you described. I hear the ice maker sometimes or the compressor when it cycles on. Even then the noise is very low. I would do as others suggested and continue working with GE until they help fix the issue.

• lauraangliss1
    8 years ago

I can't believe how old this thread is! I have the same fridge, absolutely LOVE it, but it just started this sound! Stops when we open the doors so I figure it had to do with the water dispenser / ice maker. We just haven't poked around yet. It is not a normal sound, some people have said new fridges are noisier, but this one was quiet until a few weeks ago. I will have my husband (the handier one) try the ice removal thing and report back. I don't think it's the leveling feet cuz the noise just started. Did cparif get this fixed? 3 years ago?? Or was enclosing it the only "fix"?

• Steven Harris
    7 years ago

I had the same noise as everyone else. GE came in and temporarily fixed it while under warranty. It went back to making noise and I googled to see what the decibel level was supposed to be. That is when I found everyone else had the same problem. I set up a new repair when it was out of warranty. The noise was so bad that I was will to pay the $100 to tell me if that was as good as it gets. They came in at no charge and installed a new fan. They had a sticker printed up in advance that said "new fan installed". (confirmation that they knew they had a problem) The only problem was it was louder than before. I set up another repair and as luck would have it, the refrigerator was making the noise when GE came it. I asked it that was normal. She said "No!" She ordered all new fan motors as a recall and came back and installed same. It is running beautifully. Turns out the previous installed fan motor was defective. I credit GE and an honest repair person for a happy ending. Suggest you keep at it. It can be fixed!

• paashton
    7 years ago

After my post of 3-19-16 I called GE (still barely under warranty). (Mine was making a rhythmic surging sound which I clocked at 61 decibels but did not stop when door opened). Independent repairman came out and diagnosed defective fan motor (unfortunately it wasn't making the noise when he was here, but he was able to diagnose from my description and some "insider" GE notes he looked up). He replaced the fan motor and it doesn't make that awful surging sound. It is still noisier than my previous frig, but I can live with it as it is a constant hum when compressor is on. I never buy extended warranties, but GE sent info to sign up for one after manufacturer's runs out and I WILL buy the extended warranty on this product (repairman said his GE parts are very expensive as they are apparently proud of them citing typical repair costs of $300 to $500).

• mollohans
    7 years ago

+1 on the bottom drawer lights. This has been driving my wife crazy for 2+ years. She ran across this today, switch the light off and the thing is silent. Go figure.

• Jay Vibes
    6 years ago

Wow! This feed has a long history! Got mine discounted at an outlet store. Scratch & Dent. Paiid $1500. total. Included a 3yr extended warranty. Looks great except for a long scratch in the back panel behind the fridge and a dent at the top also in the back of fridge. The noise(s) of mine brought me here to research the same issues. Oh what to do??? Return the darn thing? Deal with noise cuz it's a great-looking refrigerator that fits perfectly in my kitchen? Or be persistent in getting it fixed to the best it can? I have 2 wks left to decide. Your thoughts my fellow owners?

• lauraangliss1
    6 years ago

I have an update to when I researched this a while ago. When our fridge starts making this noise we will unplug it for about an hour, I think it is a buildup of ice as mentioned in this thread, vacuum out the dust, and when we plug it back in it is silent. Works like a charm. We have absolutely no noise now. Definitely don't return it, I love mine other than this annoying little occasional maintenance.

• Peter Hadley
    6 years ago

My GE cafe french door also makes rattling noises. I resorted to wedging something between the side of the fridge and the cabinet and it is all but silent now. Sad I have to mickey mouse a $1900 appliance.

• Jenn Leavitt
    6 years ago

Like posted above, i switched the lights off and the noise stopped :). Thank you Kori

• susanbuch2
    5 years ago

I can not believe how long this strand is!!! Our GE cafe french door makes a buzzing sound occasionally, but more than it should. It's very annoying. It does not stop when the doors open nor does it stop when we turn those lights off for the drawer. When we do turn those settings on for the drawer, it makes a different, awful noise! We moved in in August and the fridge was here. I'm assuming they had a problem as well because it has the "fresh food fan in this unit has been upgraded" sticker. I need to call GE and/or an appliance repair company. The sound goes away for long periods of time but then comes back as annoying as ever!

• TeeDee G.
    5 years ago

hi can anyone tell me how to turn the multi colored lights on the bottom drawer to 'off' so maybe it can stop the hum? my model is the PWE23KSKSS. i have my dream remodeled kitchen, but it annoys me to be in it! thank you.

• susanbuch2
    5 years ago

keep pressing "select" until all the lights are off @TeeDee

• itsonlypaint
    5 years ago

This just helped me; thanks, folks! I wouldn't have thought that a three month old refrigerator would need to have its freezer defrosted, but finally that horrible revving sound is gone!

• susanbuch2
    5 years ago

How did you defrost the freezer and for how long? Just unplug fridge? I know, probably stupid question, but I have had a repair guy here three times replacing fans etc. and we are about to buy a new refrigerator and get rid of this one. I'd like to try this first because we do like the hot water feature on the front. Thanks!

• itsonlypaint
    5 years ago

I don't have anything in the door - water or ice - so I can't be sure this will work for you. I decided not to do a full defrost and instead just try a quick and dirty defrost in the hopes that it would work (which it did). All I did was disable the door alarm so as not to hear the constant dinging, empty the freezer, pull out the bins, and blow dry around the ice maker. I could immediately see that there was a cube stuck halfway in/out of the maker, which was probably the issue, but I dried it out as much as I could for about five minutes. Probably not wise for me to not unplug? but that's what I did.

• Emerald Living
    3 years ago

Worst fridge ever. I had GE come out and they said it was normal. I can hear it on the next floor up and it wakes me in the middle of the night. Ridiculous.

• darcydarling
    3 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about the response from GE. We just had a Cafe fridge installed and it makes a loud whirring noise just about all the time. We're so sorry we bought this appliance! Our house is small and it's very hard to get away from it. It's ruining all our meals, and there seems to be no way to turn it off.

• TeeDee G.
    3 years ago

i complained so many times that GE took back the fridge and gave me a full refund. it took months of emails, calls, etc. I'm sorry that you're going through this. I'm sure they wanted to be done with me.

• MARGARET POLLARD
    3 years ago

GOOD for you, TeeDee. I hate to sound like my grandparents, but I've found over the last decade that a vast myriad of things that in the past could be accomplished with a fast phone call, now require dozens of calls, another dozen and half emails, maybe even several messages and/or posts on the company's Facebook page...then 3 dozen texts and the requisite follow up calls to 5 different departments...and then you MIGHT get "lucky" and have your basic issue addressed. Maddening. For awhile, I really thought I must be losing it. Alas, it's not me. :-(

• TeeDee G.
    3 years ago

Margaret - maybe it's not so bad to sound like one's grandparents. i think we're all so overwhelmed by the pace of the society and "no response" and ghosting are commonplace - that it's actually surprising when things get done with one set of efforts. hugs - no you're not alone.

• MARGARET POLLARD
    3 years ago

🥰🤘💞😆

• HU-434626165
    3 years ago

I’m with you on the noise and to top that when they first brought in the house would not cool and replaced mother board to control every thing there replacing in Dec . Not to mention has a big bulge on the side that just formed good luck

• KJMpls Frank
    3 years ago

My 27.8 CFE28TP4MW2 fridge has that "werrrrrrrr" to it and it is already driving me crazy. Brand new and handles still wrapped. Any way to fix that?

• constance_stubbs
    3 years ago

Very disheartening to read this thread. We had a new Cafe 48" side by side refrigerator installed last week, and the constant mechanical high pitched whir is so unpleasant we can hardly stand to be in the kitchen. Feels like living under a high voltage power line that hums all the time. The only time it stops is when the door is opened. UGH! Can't be good for our brains or mental health. I am so, SO sorry I bought this brand. Not many choices out there, though, in the time of COVID.

• susanbuch2
    3 years ago

Either I have gotten used to the noise, my kids are super loud, or the noise has lessened over the last two years. Maybe a combination of all three. Ha! We were about to buy a new one right after my first post but decided to wait and see. I like the fridge and I only hear the sound occasionally 🤞🏼🙏🏻

• Laura
    3 years ago

Just moved into a new build with new appliances The GE French door refrigerator makes a constant noise I thought my dryer was on a couple of times. I can hear it in other rooms

• lauraangliss1
    3 years ago

We unplugged our fridge one time for about 30 minutes, maybe longer, to supposedly let built up ice thaw out. Before that it was making a loud whirring noise. Since then it has never happened again. That was a couple years ago.

• lauraangliss1
    3 years ago

Honestly I love this fridge and I found this thread a long time ago when I had the noise . Try the unplugging idea. Hopefully it works. Good luck everyone.

• aliwilks
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

<sigh> the delivery guys just left 2 hours ago and it's buzzing - where is the light panel on the bottom drawer? I don't seem to have a light panel... I have the small 18.6 cubic feet french door version. thank you!

• Julie
    3 years ago

I spent $5000 on this stupid cafe fridge. Loud noise, even the delivery person mentioned it when he hooked it up. A week after install a screw fell out. Multiple times the freezer door didn’t close, which ended up defrosting the freezer. The weatherstripping foam tape has fell off. And I’ve had this fridge for less than a year. Lipstick on a pig.

• Elise Hurley
    3 years ago

Hello, I have the GE profile drench door in door. The door in door doesn’t seem to close all the way? For instance, when I close the door completely, then open it without pressing the bottom, there is a clunky noise. Upon further examining it seems the 2 doors don’t have a tight close. Is this normal? We went to Best Buy today and I tried basically everything door in door there and none of them clunked.

Thoughts? I’d be sad to find out we would need to go through hoops to get a replacement or so.

Thanks!!

• Amy Jones
    2 years ago

Horrible awful insanity inducing noise machine. GE tech claims its normal. Bad company. Bad fridge.

• Deborah Boyd
    2 years ago

I just bought and had installed a whirlpool side by side fridge the only on that would fit in my space. I waited 7.5 months to get it because I needed black , 2 days in the noise is driving me nuts it is the motor I can tell shuts off when either door opens . I locked the ice water dispenser on the door and it stopped but was that a fluke? but the others here want to use that feature. I looked into ways to sound proof the noise and will try that , like putting a rubber matt under it and sound proofing material behind it on the wall as what I have read the motor noise is in the air ( make sense who knows ) , the decibel reading , using a phone app, was 52 - 69 that was holding the phone in different places. I emailed my rep no response and now I know why they are all louder I think, I miss my 24 year old one ( except the way it was too cold inside who wants fresh frozen veggies ha ha ) why does this have to be very upsetting.