Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best 48 inch counter depth fridge?

Posted by mdhdd (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 14:45

We are remodeling our kitchen. I have been comparing refrigerators, 48 inch counter depth, stainless steel models. Does anyone have any input. We are staying away from subzero. We have known too many people who have had problems with them. Any Thoughts

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best 48 inch counter depth fridge?

A lot of people may not post in your thread because technically there are no 48" counter depth refrigerators but built-in 48 refrigerators.

Sub-Zero by far has the most market share in this class and it stands to reason you hear most of the problems in this class from owners would be Sub Zero.

But if you exclude Sub-Zero I would look at Gaggenau, Miele and Thermador towers. The towers come in various widths from 36", 24" and 18". You can install them together or apart.

I would absolutely stay away from Viking. Not only do they have a horrible track record but they just got bought out and are going through corporate downsizing/reshuffling. So I would not buy a major appliance form Viking until the dust settles.

There are a few posters here that have had horrible luck with both GE Brands, Profile and Monogram, and they may pop in and tell you to stay away from them too.

BTW I own a 24" Gaggenau freezer and in a different area of the kitchen a 24" Liebherr refrigerator.

o

I know what people will say about Kitchenaid but I had a 48" built in model in my home for 8.5 years before we sold the house. Only issue was the ice maker (which I'm told is an issue on many brands) that went bad and it was replaced (the ice maker module). After that, no issues and it worked and looked great for those years.

We are currently building a home now and due to size limitations, we have opted to not install a 48" but will most likely go with a Samsung 36" that holds 30 cu ft of stuff (same as the KA 48". Otherwise, I would probably be buying the KA KSSC48QVS.

This post was edited by swimman on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 15:07

o

I am looking at a JennAir 48 inch built in. It is similar to the KA - apprx $8800

I wish there was a 48inch built in option with a more stream line ice and water dispenser. The SZ is slick, but still, so much room taken up for an ice maker in all these fridges. If I need bulk ice for a party, I will buy a bag of it :-)

The GE Monogram seems to fit the bill as well, and also seems to have fixed previous model problems.

This post was edited by wardman on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 17:09

o

I've been studying these, too, and also found a 48" option in the Liebherr SBS 2413 (or SBS 243 in Stainless). It is two 24" columns installed together.

o

Be sure to check the various 24" Liebherr units that are designed to be joined together into one opening. They are extremely quiet and among the most energy efficient, with great features (Super cool, Super frost, Bio-Fresh, etc). They are available in stainless steel and as fully integrated units, so you can use your own matching cabinetry to finish the fronts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here