Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
XO Vent Hood with Baffles?

Posted by NYMK (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 14:41

I would like a stainless steel, chimney style vent hood that is 30 inches to go over GE Cafe Oven with Baking Drawer. A local appliance store recoed the X0 Vent Hood. I'm drawn to it because it has 600 CFMs and has a baffles option. Anyone have any experience with the XO Vent Hood? I saw some posts back from 2011 but nothing recent. What about using the baffles (instead of the aluminum filters)? Do the baffles work better? The price is also right. I want something around $1K or under.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: XO Vent Hood with Baffles?

Assuming competent design, baffles in any state of cleanliness work better than dirty mesh filters. They look better too, in my opinion.

However, the baffles have to be designed correctly to throw the grease particles out of the air stream. They should rest at an angle so that the grease can drain to somewhere. (Real professional, i.e., commercial, hoods have baffles set steeper than 45 degrees by code. I notice that XO is showing horizontal baffles. In the image I saw they looked more like slots, not baffles, so you may get what you pay for.)

I recommend visiting a high end appliance store and look at the way baffled hoods are supposed to be constructed. Then if the XO hood approximates that construction you may be ok with them. If not, then they are potentially worse then mesh filters and the mesh design, if kept clean, would be more effective at filtering.

Also, listen to the hood if it is hooked up to determine whether the sound level is tolerable.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here