Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lgy1

Capital 48' Range - Manual vs. Self Cleaning

lgy1
14 years ago

Hello-

I am looking to all of you for help deciding between the manual or self clean on the 48" Capital range.

Is it worth $1,100 to upgrade to the self cleaning which will also give me a motorized rotisserie, and the flexi-roll racks (which are really nice.)

I just bought the house and it is a total kitchen remodel. I plan on staying here for a long time. I love to cook and entertain.

Thank you advance for your input!

Comments (9)

• mojavean
    14 years ago

I do not like the super high temps that the ovens reach during the "self clean", which is really just a "blowtorch the grease out" cycle. But electric rotisseries, snappy racks? If I may quote Sarah Palin, "You Betcha!"

How often does one do a complete remodel? I'd get the upgrade and never look back.

• lgy1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you - that was the nudge I was looking for!

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Happy to help push you forward....my firt rotisseried chicken:

{{gwi:1394932}}

It's not burned, those are the blackening spices.

• lgy1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chicken looks fantastic-mmmm yummy! Do you have the Capital?

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    14 years ago

IMO any self clean is a bad thing, having said that the capital has few electronic componants which self clean can damage, we dont use it that often but when we do it certainly works very well.

As for the rolling racks they are not fully extending but work well.

the rotisserie is fantastic, the first thing I did when the range arrived was to cook two chickens and one beef joint to see how it performed. you can see the resluts in the PDF's attached in this link below.

Is it worth an extra $1000 I would say maybe for the self clean if you use it, yes for the racks and a huge yes for the rotisserie.

(the pdf files are just below the picture of the 30" range)

Here is a link that might be useful: capital Rotisserie

• idrive65
    14 years ago

I got the self-clean and rotisserie though I've yet to use either feature. Someday I will! However I think the rolling racks are over rated. Mine don't roll smoothly, and it was easier to switch racks around on my old cheapo range with one hand. These require two hands and more leaning/reaching into the oven -- inconvenient when you notice after you've preheated it that someone has switched the racks around. I'm not sure what the advantage is supposed to be.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

idrive65---easy fix for the non smooth rolling racks:

Just call Capital. In our case there are 2 washers on each roller. There is supposed to be just one. When we pulled one off, the screw was too long. They sent us new screws for all of the racks.

At first when I called and told them of this, they sent us a new rack. But when I called later about the others not seeming smooth, they told me I just needed to make this simple adjustment. They really do roll smoothly compared to my old racks. But I know what you mean, because before the fix--mine were not so smooth.

And yes--lgy1--I do have a Captial.

• idrive65
    14 years ago

beekeeperswife -- thanks for the information!

• julier1234
    14 years ago

beekeeperswife - could you possibly post a picture of what the racks are supposed to look like after the fix? I am still trying to get the new grates.