Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcolo_gw

Any personal experience with a vintage-''look'' range?

marcolo
12 years ago

Does anybody here have firsthand experience owning or using one of these machines? I am redoing my kitchen to recall its 1920s heritage, so the look I am after isn't a French range or Victorian coal stove. I find the Elmira products too cartoonish, expensive and poorly reviewed, so they're out.

As far as function goes, I dislike closed burners but could be willing to compromise, maybe. I do need a good simmer. I would prefer several ovens to one gigantic oven but perhaps can meet that need with an Advantium. Grills and griddles are not important to me. Looking at, most likely, a 30" or 36", possibly a larger, odd size if the range requires. There are only two people in this household but we entertain from 4 to 6 people, sometimes with 7 course dinners.

Bluestar. I know plenty about this range, but has anyone seen it with brass fittings? Does it look ridiculous or interesting?

Aga Legacy. Looks cute, marthavila loves hers. However, the burners seem a bit underpowered and the ovens are small. There are also strongly conflicting reviews about evenness of oven temperatures.

Ilve. Italian design, coupled with Italian engineering. Reviews are confusing. Everyone loves the look; many people praise the cooking ability; and many, many others seem to hate the thing.

Fratelli Onofri. Good price point, small oven, underpowered burners? Some company stability issues, too, it seems.

Heartland Legend. I don't even know if this is being produced any more, as it's not featured on the website. However, retailers are still selling them. In person, they look to be built like a tank but offer the same old closed burners for not cheap. I never see reviews.

Cornufe 90. In color this machine kinda sort of evokes a '20s range. I haven't read a word about performance.

If anybody has ever cooked on one of these, I'd love to hear it.

Comments (88)

• buffalotina
    12 years ago

marcolo: Please note that to be fair I said in the other thread that my Bluestar broiler got completely fixed and is now wonderful to use. Also note I said that the V1, which is what you would get, has the ignitor closer and there should be no adjustment/lighting issue. Even before it had to be isolated cases as I never read too many others complaining of it. Anyway, to make it clear, Bluestar broiler ignition is now a NON issue.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I understand, buffalotina. There seems to be a significant difference between BS today and BS a few years ago. But gas ovens still creep me out. My other issue with BS in particular is that Trevor no longer carries them, and I've never heard of their other distributors in the Boston area. That would leave me with the still-hot and rather blubbery-looking CC.

lwo, you're spot on. The issue is, I've started meeting with architects and they understandably want a brain dump of everything I'm considering, just pared down to eliminate time-wasting non-contenders. I doubt my cooking needs, plan, space and budget will accommodate all vintage-look elements. But at this point, I don't know which category I'll have to compromise on. Modern range? Modern sink? Modern wall oven (if I need one)? I want my short list to include choices at different price points and levels of vintage-ness for each category.

Just don't tell me anything bad about Liebherr fridges, because if my plan requires an integrated CD one, that was the setup we instantly liked best, even over SZ. One item off the list.

What was so bad about the CornuFe? The Albertine has one reasonably hot burner (I do not wok--when I tried to teach myself Chinese cooking we each gained 20 pounds). The size of the closed burners bugs me, since the big ones make you feel like you're cooking on flaming hubcap.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Okay, if you want blast burners, no authentic vintage. :) I had thought from your initial description that it might work for your cooking.

But gas ovens still creep me out. You know how to cook. You'll be able to adapt to a decent gas oven without any trouble--to your cooking, that is. The only thing that's going to cure your creeped outness is you. Otherwise, you need a dual fuel range if you're having a range. Do they make any with open burners, though? If not, you're going to have to make a choice.

I hadn't commented on the CornuFe before because I don't remember the particulars. I do know that every single person I spoke to about it when it first came out had be awfully excited to have an accessible La Cornue that would fit their kitchens, and to a one came back from W-S totally P.O.'d, saying that it wasn't a real La Cornue and was total shlock. They may have improved from the first ones on the market, but this is definitely a new range that is more about MBA issues of price point, inventory and sell through than the vaunted old La Cornue standards.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Another idea: Since you mentioned an Advantium, which doesn't look vintage at all, how about an open burner rangetop over drawers, maybe a warming drawer, etc., all wrapped and colored to look like a vintage range, with wall oven(s) elsewhere?

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

The CornueFe didn't have a "solid" enough feel to it for the amount she spent on it IMHO. I was expecting something like a Rolls Royce type of handmade fit and finish--a bit quirky maybe, but high quality oozing out of it. Instead, it was more like my SIL's M class Mercedes. It still has that star, but it's never had that great of a build quality and she always has problems with it---more of an Ford Explorer with pretensions than a true Mercedes.

I also wasn't able to get a pan hot enough to really do my stir fried green beans. That was to be my contribution to the steak grilled outside. It's a dish I do often at home because it's quick, but it needs high heat to get the "char" taste to go along with the oyster sauce that finishes it off or it's just not quite the same dish. I do stir fry quite a bit though, so my bias is always going to be for something that puts out a bunch of heat.

For the amount and way she uses a range at that house though, I would have thought she'd have put in just a cheap Electrolux or something. She's happy with the CornueFe though, and it does have that more retro-ish vibe that did suit the "upscale cabin in the woods" look that her lake home has. It was a basic white, which helped the retro look a lot I think. Her other strong contender was the Heartland something or other (I'm not that up on Heartland) and I can't remember why she chose the CornueFe over that. Some styling cue probably, though.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Another idea: Since you mentioned an Advantium, which doesn't look vintage at all, how about an open burner rangetop over drawers, maybe a warming drawer, etc., all wrapped and colored to look like a vintage range, with wall oven(s) elsewhere?

I've thought of exactly this. Since I don't even know the size or shape of my future kitchen, or even whether it will be any different from my current one, I could end up with a cooktop again. I was just poking around online to see how much La Cornue charges for those Chateau cabinets of their that look like the ranges--they'd be perfect.

However, they probably cost as much of as a range.

In terms of solid feel and heft, well, it's an Aga, not a real La Cornue. My sense is that the people who buy super-pretty ranges rarely cook, and the corporate accountants have caught on to this.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Sigh. Marcolo, I'm sure you're right. More architects and designers buy the pretty ranges (for non-cooking clients who don't care what goes in so long as it's pretty) than materfamiliases. OTOH, if you want solid feel, the AGA 6-4 is cast iron. :) MV cooks, and she likes hers. :)

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

Cabinets could be done custom in that style and contrast painted for similar look. Not metal but no less durable than any wood cabinet kitchen.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Aluminum channels surrounding satin black MDF panels could mimic that look quite well. If you found the right cabinet maker who could get excited about being out of the box, it could turn out quite nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aluminum U channel

• marcolo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great idea. I imagine powder coating the doors is another option, too, with the silvery trim added on top.

After some phone calls today, it seems that the Ilve is not an utter disaster but does indeed generate disproportionate service calls; the Aga Legacy does a bit better.

Although I'd really prefer that 12K Magic Chef estate range, I don't think 9K burners will tide me over.

• zeebee
    12 years ago

I was just poking around online to see how much La Cornue charges for those Chateau cabinets of their that look like the ranges--they'd be perfect.

The most recent brochure I found online is March 2010 - I too was drooling over La Cornue ranges. The cabinet prices are outrageous/silly. A 19" wide cabinet (standard 24" depth) with one door and a false drawer at the bottom starts at $6500, with a working drawer $7100. Dishwasher panel starts at $3750. I mean, c'mon.

Linking the brochure below (Adobe) - cabinets start on page 14.

The broch

Here is a link that might be useful: La Cornue pricing brochure from March 2010

• sayde
    12 years ago

Hi Marcolo
    I have a Blue Star in my twenties-vintage kitchen. I know you've seen it (gum wood kitchen) and the photos are still on atticmag. I love the Blue Star-- had the same concern about the oven never having had gas, but I love it. My personal opinion-- and I considered doing it because I had loved the brass on the Lacanche-- is that putting the brass on the Blue Star looks silly. It just doesn't work with its straightforward restaurant range look. A plain ol Garland was good enough for Julia and it's good enough for me, and besides just looks more vintage. I think a black range would have looked more vintage than the bottle green that I chose but I love the green with the wood. I had wanted a green range ever since I saw orchidluv'rs green Lacanche. So I compromised the vintage look for the green color.
    Anyway, here's a vote for Blue Star whatever color -- but keep it simple!

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

No personal experience, but how about this:

• marcolo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw a few things in person today--more tomorrow.

Clearly, the open burner ranges (BS & CC) are the practical choice. I have my own opinion about the differences between them. The BS burners definitely look more old-school, and of course BS has a dedicated simmer burner. However, the BS oven door is really effing hot, where the CC door is not.

For the less practical choice, the Aga Legacy looks even better in person than it does in pictures. It's really cute. There was a rap a while back about flimsy doors but those must have changed--the metal is perfectly solid. In the 36" version, the ovens are pretty wee and I'd feel more comfortable if the layout permitted an additional wall oven.

• plllog
    12 years ago

But...how were the burners on the Legacy?

Did you try out any cookware in it? I can get a surprising amount, including my biggest baking dish and my small (8 qt.) roaster into my smallest oven. You don't need as much air room in a convection oven. In fact, you hardly need any.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually I have to do another search for a dual fuel Legacy, just to see the burners. The model I saw was electric, so I looked mostly at fit and finish, and the ovens. Infuriatingly, the induction offered on Rangemasters in Europe is not available here.

At least the photographs show some weak attempt to make the larger closed burners function with a double-ring design. But I have to see in person.

• kaijutokusatsu
    12 years ago

What about a Five Star? Its not really vintagey but you can have brass trim and open burners if that's what you want. Sabjimata posted about hers and seemed pleased by the power.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. Five Star is very hard to find information about. But perhaps I should launch another investigation.

plllog, I found out that the only dual fuel Legacy is about an hour away, but at least it's the same place that has the Cornufe Albertine on the floor, so now I have a destination for next weekend. Today, I saw an older model Aga 6-4 today, and frankly I was pretty scared by the burners. Huge closed hubcaps. I pictured a giant donut of fire that would singe your wrists long before the pasta boiled. However, the current Legacy pictures online look at least a little different.

Interestingly, the Fratelli Onofri has dual-stacked burners. I'm not a fan but they are clearly an improvement over the mushroom caps. Too bad the company is in bankruptcy.

The other thing that had dual-stacked burners was the Heartland Legend. But the design is very, very boxy, and I got a veto on it that I have to honor. Plus, it's discontinued and that doesn't seem like a wise investment.

I'm not looking for cooking perfection. I don't really need restaurant volcanos. I just need burners that don't outright suck.

BTW, did I tell you how fearsomely hot the BS oven doors are? OMG. If CC had a simmer burner then that would be my default "practical" choice.

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Gee, I've been cooking on an Aga 6-4 now, day and night, for nearly 3 years now. Have never so much as singed a potholder, much less my wrist on those burners! Obviously, you are leaning towards the Legacy, if Aga at all. And I won't try to sell you different. But the burners on the 6-4 are simultaneously tame and effective. No hubcaps and no problems whatsoever.

• buffalotina
    12 years ago

So did you encounter a hot Bluestar door at a live demo? Yes, the door gets hot, especially near the bottom. But here is the thing: I never touch the door, except by the handle. If you are ruling out Bluestar only based on that then you might be short changing yourself. I am not trying to push the BS, but honestly in my experience this hot door thing is such a non issue in practice. It seems you really want a dual range. If that were my situation I would go Wolf, no question. I would then let the vintage elements come from elsewhere and let the Wolf slot in as an unobtrusive element (you can get the black knobs).

• plllog
    12 years ago

To add to Tina's above, you could also get a Wolf painted. Again, the question is whether you can have open burners over an electric oven, which seems to be the goal once you have the look. Maybe Lacanche. Perhaps it would be worth calling that vintage stove place? It's in Mass. somewhere. I don't remember exactly what they do, but a lot of these restorers do tear down the whole range and put in thoroughly modern guts, and do electric conversions as well. It might be worth some phone calls...

Have fun on your outing next week. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be glad to hear what you learn.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not meaning to diss your Aga, marthavila. I'm sure you've made great meals on it. On the version I saw, the wok burner had a dual ring, but the rapid burners seemed like really large mushroom caps, and those are the ones that worried me regarding flame distribution.

Re: The BS doors--there are no kiddies in the house but there may be a pooch at some point. More importantly, I don't love cooking over a hot oven anyway, so the more insulation, the better.

Wolf is doing away with its semi-open burners.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

FYI this is what a Five-Star looks like with white doors and brass trim. Still no performance info about them.

• buffalotina
    12 years ago

Marcolo: I think I read on another thread that Capital is coming out with a dual fuel Culinarian - at least I THINK that is what I heard. Perhaps that might be your answer. Personally I don't think that 5 star looks any more vintage than BS or any other pro look range. Also wondering about brass - that to me is more Victorian rather than 1920s. I think 1920s is more plain Jane, but that is just my take. I agree with what sayde that about brass on the bluestar - I think it would look silly also. Now on the Ilve or the Lacanche or something, or even the CornuFe it is an entirely different proposition and I think it can look stunning there. Another consideration: are you doing brass hardware on your cabinets, lighting etc? I would want to see other brass accents around the kitchen if I were doing brass on the range. It is overwhelming I know and you will be relieved once you set some boundaries that start to eliminate some of the options. Good luck!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Have you considered the Bosch 'Titanium' dual fuel?

{{gwi:1394915}}

I know this isn't a 'vintage look' range. But it is dual fuel and the white front panel might look cute in a 1920s kitchen, especially with other white appliances and a white sink. The price, at under 2000 dollars is good. And, with your aversion to "pro" ranges or fake commercial ranges, seems like it might be an interesting option.

Here is a picture showing (not the 'Titanium') how cute a regular non-pro range can look in a kitchen:

{{gwi:1394918}}

• marcolo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Reporting back:

Cornue Albertine. It didn't help that it was sitting next to a real La Cornue that costs the price of a car. But at $6800 I expected...something. The version I saw was trimmed in stainless steel--a fingerprintery mess, and it looked very tacked on. The doors flexed when you touched them. The closed hobs were all gigantic disks--no attempt to spread the flame with double rings or anything. I did like the knobs, but really, this stove should be half the price or less for the quality.

Aga Legacy Dual Fuel 36" Somewhat relieved by the burners. They were much better than the (really old) 6-4 I saw in the other showroom. If I have a chance I will post some of the photos I took. This Aga was sitting alone on the floor, not against a wall, and the range has no back on it! It's the weirdest thing. The top extends back to where the wall would be, and there sits the little integrated backsplash. That backsplash feels very cheap, BTW, especially when not supported by the wall. But the actual working oven parts don't come anywhere near that far back, so from the side the range looks like half a "T." But I do like the stove.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Phew! At least you have one that ticks the boxes. When I read your description it was one that came to mind. Since it wasn't against a wall, I assume it wasn't hooked up? Is there anywhere you can try out the burners for real? Was the range a demonstration model? Or are they all like that? Perhaps it makes them easier to service that way? Harder for mice to take up residence? Too easy for the cat to?

• doug_gb
    12 years ago

I think the idea of a "vintage" what ever is wrong.

Cabinets / furniture is fine. But I'd suggest buying the best applicances I could get.

We have Viking. They have many colors - I'm sure others do. IMO, go for the clean - blend into the background design.

• chris11895
    12 years ago

I saw this on Craigslist today and thought of you, just in case you're disenchanted with the newer ones :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Chambers Range

• claybabe
    12 years ago

It sounds like you are not interested in the Aga 6-4 at this point, but I have been cooking on mine for 7 years. We are the family gathering house, and the stove has had a lot of use. We have dogs, small children, and random moments of general dysfunction. The only problem with the range was easily handled, good customer service when I dealt with the company directly in the early years (I had a guy...can't recall his name...who just sent me whatever I needed, which wasn't much). Anyway, I will check back here: if you are still interested at all in the 6-4 I know Marthavila can answer everything, but happy to chime in.

• User
    12 years ago

I am in the market for a new range. I wanted something with high heat because I do a lot of stir fry, and rarely bake. I also wanted looks wise something that came in black with brass and stainless accents. I narrowed it down to Viking, Bluestar, and the CornuFe 90 / albertine because I could see them in person, but the closest Williams-Sonoma that carries the cornuFe near me is like 1.5 hours drive. I was concerned about customer service etc and never went to see it. I am leaning heavily toward the Bluestar with brass accents. I feel that (at least in my eyes) it will still
    have that same general look / feel of the French ranges but fulfills my
    other needs also. The Viking with black / brass I think is also really pretty
    but I am seduced by the idea of the powerful Bluestar burners.
    PS - Sayde if you are reading, we are doing natural wood cabs also, and your kitchen is one of my absolute favorites.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I searched online for pictures of a Bluestar with brass trim, but found nothing. I am not seeking out the French look, but thought brass might add a level of vintage quirkiness nonetheless. But not one single image was available.

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Claybabe! Long time no see! You were my original source of encouragement for going the Aga 6-4 route and I will never regret having made that choice under your advisement! Although I agree with you that it doesn't look like Marc is going to join us, I would always be willing to defer to your wisdom and even longer stretch of experience with this product. Great seeing you around these parts and do give me a holler offline! :-)

• User
    12 years ago

Marcolo - sounds like you are considering cream / brass? I am thinking of black / brass / stainless. These are the three I am vascillating amongst. I am not quite as TKO as some on here, but love to cook and consider myself TKO- "lite". Function comes first for me, but I do admit that I like having stuff different from what everyone else in my area has.
    Here is the Viking black / brass - I do love the look of this.

Bluestar black / brass - I think you can get the knobs in stainless (shown in black) but I need to call again to confirm. The price on bluestar is a bit better, and I'm wooed by the hot burners. Plus the local salesman owns one himself and told me he loves it. (they sell all these brands)

And the CornuFe 90 - just lovely, but my husband feels a bit too blingy (although it's ultimately up to me). Not made in US, smaller oven space than the Viking or Bluestar, burners not as hot, and, perhaps silly, but I wonder if I'd miss peeking in the little window on the rare occasion that I bake anything? But if my range looked like that perhaps I wouldn't care.

Sorry, I am not trying to highjack your thread, but the fact that you were asking about brass trim on some of the same ranges I am also considering made me chime in.

• User
    12 years ago

Sorry - photos showed up in my preview before posting - trying again

• claybabe
    12 years ago

Hey! Marthavila, nice to read your cheery voice! And I think one year or 7 years and everything in between, all the same really.

I find myself thinking about how amped up I was choosing the stove, and how it just seems normal now. Don't get me wrong, I am glad I spent so much time obsessing over every detail of the kitchen and the appliances (and it was fun!). I really think that if you spend some time thinking about how you need the machine to perform (cooking, visuals, financially, etc) you will make a decision that will be durable and pleasing.

• alexrander
    12 years ago

The problem with the brass on the Bluestar is that both the towel rail/handle and the mounting brackets are brass. So instead of looking like an accent, it looks a bit gaudy.

I remember a few years ago, the mounts were chrome and only the bar was brass, and that looked much better. Or you could order it to look like the Viking picture above, with the stainless bar and only the brackets in brass. Either seems more tasteful to my eye.

I'm sure they'd do it that way if you asked.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Never buy a Cornufe without seeing one in person. I eliminated it at first glance. It's cheap looking and tacky in person.

I agree that the BS would look better with a more discreet use of the brass.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

In the late 60's my parents did a lot of remodeling on my childhood home. They bought a new electric range that had the outward appearance of an old wood cook stove, down to the warming ovens in the high top. It had all of the curlicues and iron trim, and was shiny black but for the brushed chrome border to the cooktop, handles and cartouches on the doors.
    It was an awful choice. One of Sears Roebuck & Co.'s worst products. It even suffered a small electrical fire once.
    Appearance should take a backseat to actual performance, IMO.

• User
    12 years ago

I just called Bluestar. It seems you can specify any of the accents in brass or chrome - so I will be able to ask for the brass just around the knobs, and the end caps on the handle, with the actual knobs and handle in chrome / stainless (just like the Viking picture). That makes me happy!

• marcolo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jenny, when are you getting yours? Be sure you post a pic.

• User
    12 years ago

I am going tonight to look (again) at a Bluestar vs Viking - I have to make a decision pretty soon. My DH kind of wants the Viking because he's never heard of Bluestar, but ultimately its up to me since I do the majority of the cooking. Unfortunately I'll only be able to decide on brass through pictures, they don't have any ranges with brass accents sitting in the showroom. I'm hoping that since the brass on both are only very small touches (vs. the CornuFe) that it will be very subtle and not too much regardless of which one we go with. I was told the special order (colored) Bluestar would take 6 weeks, but who knows. The Viking would be a bit longer than that.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Last weekend I had yet another appliance dealer (not Trevor) tell me to get BS over Viking. Interestingly, he sold both.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Marcolo: This is just a question born of curiosity. I posted a picture of a BS "Precious Metals" (nee "Inspired by Marcus") range upthread. You didn't bite, so I take it that range holds no interest for any of a number of reasons. I am not writing to talk you into it -- I just had an aesthetic question: Do you think it looks old-timey or not? Clearly, I do, but wanted to know if you thought it appeared vintage.

TIA, A_D

• User
    12 years ago

Well, I thought of you when I saw this range on One King's Lane. It's Diane Keaton's and a portion of the proceeds go to charity. The chrome is pretty stunning, not to mention the configuration is a rare one!

Here is a link that might be useful: O'Keefe & Merrit

• marcolo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's absolutely stunning, hollysprings--in looks and price!

I thought I'd update with my promised pics of the Aga Legacy's mysteeriously flat butt. Here's what the uninstalled range looks like from the side.

FYI these are the burners. Big mushroom caps still give me the heeby-jeebies but at least the huge burner has a double ring.

• User
    11 years ago

My range is in, but I haven't seen it yet / don't have it yet, so no pictures to share yet. I hope I love the way it looks...but even if I don't I'm sure I'll love cooking on it! PS - sold our 42" smoothtop Frigidaire range via craigslist just last night so I'm glad it found a home.

• marcolo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So you got the BS? How did you configure the brass?

Oh, Angie, I think that range could fit a vintage kitchen simply by not being jarringly modern, but I can't think of any era of stove that those ranges would echo.

• User
    11 years ago

Yes I ordered the Bluestar - I wanted it to look as much like the Viking as possible, so I just ordered the brass on the bezels and the end caps. The handle is stainless and the knobs are "enchanted silver" - they don't come in stainless apparently, and BS said that is what I should choose (enchanted silver) to get the same look. Hope it's not too sparkly or anything.

• HU-63210282
    2 years ago

I have a Heartland stove 9200 that is about 26 yrs old. Bought it for the look. No problems for 19 yrs.

Then the burner knobs started getting difficult to turn. Paid for appliance repair to come

out but they were unable to repair. Situation worsened, called Aga Marvel and bought some repair parts. They never supported my efforts. Called Thompson Appliance in Tacoma, Wa. My experience with them leads me to to say never call them.

The stove new was almost $5,00. delivered and installed. Thompson came out said I needed to have it taken into the shop, polished up and rehauled. They reportedly went to a recent seminar on the stove at Aga Marvel. I paid 2,500 with the parts and after a few months, same problem. They are a dishonorable team of father and son (son being the worst). I lived with one working burner for about 2 yrs. until I found an excellent repair person on Vashon Is, Wa. Issue with these burners: careful to not get water spilled down into the burners. Rust develops. I believe that was the only problem. Heartland was bought out by Aga Marvel and now have some stove parts but phasing out. Good luck.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner