Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ardcp

bosch dishwasher from lowes vs appliance store

ardcp
10 years ago

i have heard from some contractors/handymen that the faucets, toilets, tools you buy at lowes/HD have inferior parts to make them cheaper than the identical model at a plumbing supply center or hardware store. does anyone know if this is true for appliances as well? if i buy a bosch 800 dw is it the same everywhere or cheaped out for lowes

Comments (7)

• ardcp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for that. i will check the part number to make sure. where i am it is sometimes easier to get appliances at lowes/hd

• fishymom
    10 years ago

I just bought a Bosch 800 Series from Lowes and it is the exact same model number as on the Bosch Website. It is a Special Order, not one they stock, if that helps.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Well, when it comes to appliances, manufacturers sometimes use different models numbers of particular vendors but the appliances are actually the same product. Having slight differences in model numbers allows the big box stores to avoid or limit price matching and impede comparison shopping.

• fillmoe
    10 years ago

Don't know about the dishwashers, but the Bosch stoves in Lowe's are made by Frigidaire, not Bosch, according to my favorite salesman at the appliance store.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

As the sales associate said, the production of some Bosch ranges (the 300 and 500 series of gas stoves) has been subbed out to Frigidiare factories in Quebec and Memphis. (Several GW threads confirm this if anybody wants to research if further).

When it comes to DWs, though, pretty much every Bosch DW sold in North America comes out of the BSH plant in New Bern South Carolina. The only exceptions are the models in the "800 Plus" series, which Bosch makes in Europe.

Which makes me rethink the response to the OP on whether there are differences between models sold at dealers and those sold by the big box retailers such as HD and Lowe's. When comparing model numbers on DWs, be sure that you are comparing within the same product line. Bosch actually has three separate product lines in its 800 series of DWs. These are: the "800" models, the "800DLX" models, and the"800-Plus."

The "800 Plus" models are the ones made in BSH's factories in Europe. The "Plus" models do in fact use some more expensive components, are reputed to run more quietly than the quietest of the "plain" 800 series models, and are supposedly the most durable. Also, "800-Plus" models are an inch or two shallower in depth than the "plain" 800 series models since European cabinets are mostly shallower than those in North American kitchens. Big box vendors carry "800 series" models but only dealers seem to have both the 800 and "800 Plus" models. (At least, that was how it seemed to be when I was shopping for a new DW).

So, when comparing similar model numbers, check whether you are comparing 800 models to 800 models and not to 800 Plus models. I'm not sure what the differences between the plain 800 and "800DLX" models are but those can probably be discerned with product comparison functions available on vendor websites.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 17:57

• beaniebakes
    10 years ago

Bosch is currently offering rebates on appliances purchased through dealers but not through the box stores. Rebate runs until end of March. Check Bosch website.