Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miele coffee system and well water

Posted by nerd (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 14:24

We are considering installing a Miele plumber in coffee maker. Our water system is well water, however, we have a reverse osmosis filtration system for drinking water. Has anyone had any issues with using this type of water in their machine?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miele coffee system and well water

I would think RO would be fine if you can generate enough to fill the tank.

o

Much of the municipal water supply in the US is well water. You should have no problem with your unit provided you find the osmotic system puts out a palatable glass of drinking water. If you intend to tap off the RO system, then use that water for your initial hardness test. (The machine is sent with a water test strip. You follow the instructions to get a numerical value of the hardness of the water and enter that into the coffee system's NVRAM as instructed)

The hardness test tells the machine how often to call for a descaling procedure.

o

My neighbors have the Miele built-in coffee system. We are on well water and have RO. She loves it! She did have techs out once for a repair issue, but I've never heard her complain and they've had it for at least 5 years.

o

In June 2013, was cautioned by Miele tech support *not* to use an RO system in conjunction with our Miele built-in system. According to Miele, RO removes minerals to the point that the machine cannot correctly detect that there's water in the system. It apparently relies on electrical conductivity due to minerals in the water.

I believe (but cannot conclusively state) that a remineralization filter after the RO membrane *should* do the trick. This raises the "beneficial" mineral content and tips the PH balance slightly towards the alkaline, so the machine should work.

FWIW, I'm on city water that's very hard (420+ppm) and currently use an ultrafiltration system. It does not reduce hardness, though, so I'm considering a move to RO+remineralization to extend the life of my Miele.

o

+1 on the RO system not being able to activate the sensors on a miele coffee machine.

It will depend on YOUR exact system though so you,ll jus have to try it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here