Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rqhome

DCS Wall Oven

rqhome
10 years ago

I've been looking at the DCS WODU30 double wall oven and have some questions for DCS wall oven owners. I searched threads but only found two mentions of DCS ovens. One was looking to replace their single DCS wall oven with a slide-in range during a remodel and another just ordered the double wall ovens in January of this year. I would really appreciate some input. I was set to get the GE Cafe wall oven, but DH and I really prefer knobs and no touch screens for longevity/reliability issues.

If you have a DCS wall oven or know someone who does, please provide input on the following:

Performance? I like to bake - breads, cakes, cookies. I also like to roast various meats. Does the DCS have even baking for sensitive baked goods as well as good roasting temperatures for meats?

Convection - always on or manually controlled? I can't see any controls on the photos that let you choose bake or convection bake. Is it always on or can I choose what I want to convection bake?

Speed of heat up. Does it take a while to come to temperature?

Self cleaning - I don't usually use this feature since it seems to be what kills most ovens, but if you have used it, any problems?

Although this model has knobs, do you know if it just looks like that, but has a control board in the back that can cost $$$ to replace? Any electronic issues?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (8)

• wekick
    10 years ago

You might want to read this. There is a whole section on the modes. They seem to have the ones you would want to use. The names are a little different than most. No convection roast but the convection bake seems similar. They do seem to have one of the best descriptions of what the different modes will do from the manuals I have read. As long as you understand what they do, that is the main thing. Every oven is different, especially when it comes to electric ovens with convection fan(s) and multiple elements. It has to have some sort of board to coordinate all those functions. We don't hear enough about this brand, so hopefully someone will comment and say if it does what it is supposed to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: DCS WODU30 user manual

• rqhome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks wekick. I will read the manual and see if that helps any. I'm hoping someone has actual experience in regards to even heating and such.

• dadoes
    10 years ago

Although this model has knobs, do you know if it just looks like that, but has a control board in the back that can cost $$$ to replace? Any electronic issues? Surely it has at least one electronic board ... probably more than one.

It's probably based on F&P's wall ovens (F&P bought DCS several years ago ... DishDrawers are available now under DCS branding).

Per tech info I have on early F&P AeroTech wall ovens, the double-oven unit has 10 boards ...
    - each of the knobs is a circuit board with the rotary switch attached (two function selectors, two temp selectors -- four total)
    - a display board for each selector knob (four little boards)
    - the clock/timer board in the middle
    - a temperature sensor board
    - the main power board.

• wekick
    10 years ago

' Posted by RQHome

Thanks wekick. I will read the manual and see if that helps any. "

That was just meant to answer this question.
    "Convection - always on or manually controlled? I can't see any controls on the photos that let you choose bake or convection bake. Is it always on or can I choose what I want to convection bake? "

It won't help as far as knowing how it bakes.

• rqhome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Wekick - I knew what you meant - there appears to still control boards from the manual and what dadoes said. Not sure I can get away from that.

Anyone out there use this wall oven? If so, please see my questions above. Thanks!

• phillyfeet
    10 years ago

RQHome - just curious, did you make a decision? These are the two ovens I am considering as well and I really wanted to go with the DCS. My husband looked at it in the store yesterday and is just concerned with the handle style being so different from everything else we are considering (for fridge and stove). I am more concerned with function, but i can see his point. The other wall ovens that get good reviews around here have the blue enamel and i am so worried about the chipping issue.

• jeffjsgirl
    10 years ago

We have the F&P version of this oven, and as far as I can tell they're identical under the skin to the DCS.

The F&P version bakes quite well in my opinion. Reasonably even browning and the variety and controlability of modes is good. Preheat to 350 is 10 minutes or less. Ability to accurately hold temp seems very good.

I can say from experience that the knows are connected to boards, and they can (and do) fail. Our is 2004 vintage and has just died for the 4th time. Don't know if we're an outlier or not, but it's enough to make us decide to switch brands.

So in summary, when it works the F&P / DCS units are really nice ovens...

• rqhome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

phillyfeet - No I haven't made a final decision yet. I was waiting for some responses and tried to find more reviews on the DCS. Based on a few F&P reviews, the DCS is not looking like a winner. (I wasn't sure of the handles either and had read they were not interchangeable with another model.)

I may just go we a GE Cafe model (CT959STSS). My parents have a GE Profile double wall oven and have been happy with it. The style doesn't match my kitchen though - the Cafe is better. I have found a few reviews on the Cafe - the majority are good so far. There are no knobs, just a control board. Not crazy about that part, but looks like I can't get away from it.

This GE model doesn't have a blue interior. I found a review on epinions, and more reviews and photos at Home Depot, Kmart and GE's site. Amazon has more photos also. I'm still going over the manual to see if it will work for me. Not sure where else to go at this point if I can't find glowing reviews of the DCS. I like the looks of the Kenmore Pro, but the reviews on Sears' website aren't good.

I can't say I'm in love with anything yet - at least in my price point. :-)

jeffjsgirl - Thanks for the input on your F&P wall oven. I'm glad to hear it bakes well, but 4 boards in 8 years doesn't sound good. Another thread on Gardenweb talked about a bad F&P wall oven experience. I was hoping maybe the DCS wasn't the same, but if they look identical inside, they probably are and I need to move on.