Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cberry_gw

Frigidaire 'Twins' & Electrolux all-frig/all-freezer

15 years ago

I am looking for a reasonably priced all-refrigerator/all freezer for my new kitchen. Any suggestions?

Has anyone recently purchased (within the past 6 months) the Frigidaire all-frig/all-freezer "twins" (PLRU1778ES/PLFU1778ES)? If so, how's it working for you? Any problems with temperature being much warmer than what you have it set at?

Also, has anyone purchased an Electrolux all-frig/all-freezer after July'08 and had problems with temperature? There's a related forum that indicated this is a major problem with the Electrolux, and since Frigidaire is owned by Electrolux, I want to be sure to avoid making a poor buying decision.

Comments (14)

• 15 years ago

We've been using our Electrolux Icon all-fridges (2) and all-freezer for a year now. They were delivered, I think in Nov or Dec of 07, so they're not as new as you're asking about. We have no problems with their temps.

• 15 years ago

We have been using the Frigidaire twins for about 6 months. So far so good. No problems. Both fridge and freezer keep temperatures well, food stays fresh. No complaints so far.

• 15 years ago

Read your warranty. Frigidaire warranties at least some of their freezers' sealed systems (compressor and other refrigerant carrying components) for five years.

• 15 years ago

Yeah, I have read the warranty and haggled with the service department. The twins only have a limited one year warranty the covers pretty much everything, but only one year from delivery.

• 15 years ago

For what it's worth, we've had more problems with Frigidaire refrigerators in the last two years than with all other appliances combined. Their ranges and microwaves are good products, but their reefers and dishwashers are very poor quality. Years ago, when they were part of GM, they were an awesome product. Too many people still remember (or still have) those products. It's not the same today.

The Electrolux Icon is an awesome product. The plain Electrolux line is all over the place. Some of it is just rebadged Frigidaire, some of it is rebadged Icon, some is unique to the Electrolux line.

• 15 years ago

For what it's worth, we've had more problems with Frigidaire refrigerators in the last two years than with all other appliances combined. Their ranges and microwaves are good products, but their reefers and dishwashers are very poor quality. Years ago, when they were part of GM, they were an awesome product. Too many people still remember (or still have) those products. It's not the same today.

I have to agree. We have a Kenmore upright freezer whose insulation shrank, sucking the interior sides with it. As a result, a couple of the shelves fell down. We traced the Sears part number to Gibson, which is owned by Electrolux and apparently assigned to their Frigidaire group.

After being burned on that freezer, we won't buy anything made by Electrolux.

• 15 years ago

monkeyjac and indianabrian:

I like the "twins" but worry about their total width. Do you have photos of them in your kitchens?

Thanks in advance.

• 15 years ago

mgmarch:
    here's some photos of our twins, we have the trim kit that makes them look built in:

• 15 years ago

Thanks for posting. Beautiful kitchen! What is the reaction to the unit form visitors?

• 15 years ago

>We have a Kenmore upright freezer whose insulation shrank, sucking the interior sides with it.

muddypond, which Kenmore do you have? We're thinking of getting a small one (and the matching fridge).

Thanks!
    =aw

• 15 years ago

mgmarch:
    I have received a lot of compliments on them. Most people think it's one large unit. They have no idea they are separate units unless I tell them. They also think they're built in. Once you live with them for a while, they don't seem that large at all. In fact, because they're counter depth, they're not as big inside as most people think.

• 15 years ago

mgmarch,

Hear is a picture of our twins. You can go on their website and get the exact dimensions for the. Sears has the exact same units sold as Kenmore.

Here is a link that might be useful: click here

• 15 years ago

That post did not read like I typed it. Maybe my keyboard battery is getting low.

Here is a picture of our twins. You can go on their website and get the exact dimensions for them. Sears has the exact same units sold as Kenmore.

Brian