Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcln

Range hood dilema: vertical impeller or squirrel cage?

pcln
10 years ago

I'm trying to replace a fairly worthless under-cabinet Braun hood that sits over my 4 burner woolf gas cooktop that sees a lot of use, especially on the big front burner. I've decided to go with Kobe based on specs and warranty, but can't decide between two models they offer:
Model RA3830SQ uses a "twin vertical impeller" design which catches the grease in small oil cups that can be removed and cleaned, whereas Model RA3830SQB-1 uses baffle filters and a "squirrel cage" design that sits within the cabinet. Both vent to the exterior. The oil cup model has slightly more cfms, but perhaps the turbines do not create an even draft across the entire area of the burners, which is important since I will be doing a lot of cooking on the large front burner. On the other hand, I wonder whether the baffle design, while aesthetically pleasing, doesn't just end up being impossible to clean (yes, the baffles can be washed in the dishwashers, but this can result in merely baking on the grease). The oil cup design looks a bit funky, and it is a thicker unit. However, the baffle unit, being only 3 inches tall, would sit higher above the cooktop -- in fact, 33 inches, which is a bit farther away than is recommended. Anyway, I would be grateful for any expert opinions on the efficacy and longevity of these two competing systems offered by Kobe!

Comments (3)

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I'm also interested in this :) . I'm on my own hood quest.

One thing to think about the height above the cooktop. I did an experiment with my noisy NuTone which is actually installed lower than recommended (at least 30" above cooktop). I turned it on and put my head 2" lower than it would normally be and I was surprised at how much louder it was! All that to say that the height of installation may affect the perceived noise level.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I have a NuTone with an underside that has a similar design to this Kobe:

On mine, the cups are easy to wash in the dishwasher, but the round grilles have to be unscrewed to be washed - not sure if the same applies to the Kobe above. And yes, they certainly do get gunky.

If I go with the Kobe I am looking at, it will definitely be the baffle type, especially because the underside is somewhat concave, which helps with smoke capture.

• kaseki
    10 years ago

I won't rate these specific units because I don't own either one. I will assert that commercial hood designs are intended to provide the most effectiveness for a given electrical power drain, because HVAC electricity cost is a large part of doing business. Commercial hoods generally have large capture areas, baffles to collect grease and provide a firestop, baffle slope (NFPA requirement) to move grease to the hood side, and sufficient air flow to assure both containment and appropriate velocity of air in the duct to minimize condensation. (Also a water sprinkler.)

Residential hoods that approximate this should be most effective, but that does not preclude other designs from also being effective. The compromises are not always obvious. For the example in the image above, I would be concerned whether all rising effluent that reaches the surface the cones project from is collected at the cones, or, due to momentum, reflects away. Avoiding spillage of smoke, grease, and odor is an important aspect of commercial hood architecture, and generally one wants every point that effluent strikes to be either a baffle or a sharp angle that reflects upwards to a baffle.

Residential hoods most approximating commercial hoods are typically tent-like in shape with internal baffles. I use a Wolf Pro-Island hood, but I don't recall seeing any Wolf photos that showed an underside view.

kas

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths