Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathylquiltz

My new Miele is installed!

kathylquiltz
13 years ago

Woo Hoo! The first thing to go in my kitchen two years ago was my dishwasher, and now it's almost the last thing to be hooked up in my new kitchen. We just did the kitchen demo in January, so I'd say I've been pretty patient waiting for all the ducks to get lined up in order to do a remodel.

So here's the question. I need to go to the grocery store for supplies. What kind of soap and rinse aid do you all recommend? My owners guide was NO help. I have a water softener for the whole house, so do I also need to add to the dishwasher? I have the Diamonte plus. I also have quite a bit of old Cascade powder detergent left over. Is that still useable? Now that I have all these new appliances, I'm almost afraid to use them!! Same with my granite counter tops! Thanks for any guidance you can give me and I'm sorry if this is a repeated question. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• fauguy
    13 years ago

I too have the Diamante Plus (model G2143SC) that was installed last May. For the first few weeks I used what I had left, which was some Cascade Complete packs and Cascade rinse aid. Both of those cleaned OK, but there was a "chemical smell" on everything, most noticeable on glasses and plastic cups. After I used all that up, I went and purchased the Miele brand tabs and rinse aid. No more chemical smell, and only needed to use a half-tab per load. Then when I used all those Miele tabs up, I went and got a 2nd box, but this time it is the newer phosphate-free type. The new ones still clean well, actually better than the older Miele tabs. It's a box of 72, but most people use a pair of scissors and cut them in-half and only use a half tab for each load. That's what I do, and everything still comes out clean (and your really getting 144 half-tabs, which is a 4.5 month supply).

I don't have a whole-home water softener, so I use the one on the Diamante, and have it set to 6 grains. Some people with home softeners have said in the past they don't use the one on the dishwasher at all, while other say they do use it, but place it on the lowest setting.

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

I too have a new Miele dishwasher. So congrats...I know the excited feeling. I am on my 5th Miele DW, they are excellent.

I found the Cascade Powder to clean horribly. I even called Cascade, and they told me A LOT of people are having issues, since the powder went Phosphate Free. They mailed me a bag of Cascade Complete All in 1 packs. So know I either use them, or the new Miele tabs. After comparing loads done with Cascade packs and Miele tabs...I do see that the Miele tabs are in fact better. The dishes, glasses and utensils feel silky, they are spot free, shiny and just great.

I use the Miele Salt and Miele rinse aid. I did order Somat Salt off Amazon.com...it is less expensive than the Miele branded salt, rinse aid and detergent tabs. This is what Miele always used and recommended before they had their own brand. Somat salt, rinse aid and dishwasher tabs are the #1 rated brand in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. I always used Somat when in Europe, and plan to switch back, once I finish my Miele tabs.

Hab' doch Spass mit deinem, neuen Geschirrspueler!! :)

Miele told me, that if you set the water hardness to 4 or less...the salt will NOT be used. Keep that in mind.

• kathylquiltz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I bought a small pack of Cascade Complete but I have also ordered the Miele tabs and rinse aid from Amazon. Thanks for your information! I appreciate it.

• fauguy
    13 years ago

larsi, if you like the newer Miele tabs, why go back to the Somat brand? Is there a big price difference there?

kathylquiltz, did you get the new(er) Miele tabs or the origional ones? The new ones have a total of 72 (3 boxes of 24 tabs).

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

fauguy...

on Amazon.com, the Somat tabs are somewhat cheaper than the Miele tabs. I believe they are $29.00 for 60 or 70. Somat again was rated #1 in Germany, by several leading German consumer based companies. Also, since all my family is in Germany, they just periodically mail me boxes of German goodies...laundry products (Persil, Dash, Lenor, Vernel), chocolate, Knorr mixes, SebaMed skin care products, Fa body wash, German Nivea stuff....They can just send me Somat...for free :)

• segesta
    13 years ago

I'll keep saying it: plain old Cascade + Lemi-Shine = greatness. At least, in my new Miele it's an effective combination.

• kathylquiltz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fauguy, I'm pretty sure it's the box of 72.