Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which would you choose

Posted by shmeal (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 13:13

We have $4k in our building allowance to purchase an induction cooktop (36"), a single wall-oven (30") and a dishwasher (would prefer a paneled, fully-integrated. We can up it, but I don't want to if we can make it work within that budget.

We were going to order a KitchenAid Induction Cooktop (KICU695) and wait for a good sale to place our order. I should be able to purchase it for right around $1300. Last night I found a discontinued Thermador (CIT365DS) for $1699 on Ebay. I was ready to jump all over this but DH is concerned because it is discontinued and he thinks we won't be able to get it serviced if we need to. Also, he is not sure how old it is and that concerns him too.

He likes the bridge element on the KA and that we can purchase it without the stainless trim (we both like the simple edge with no stainless trim).

When we've shopped in stores we seem to gravitate towards the Bosch or the Thermador (made by the same group - so that's easy to see why) but haven't seriously considered them because of our budget. Now I've found one that fits in our budget and DH is afraid to move forward with the purchase. I can probably talk him into this if I can justify the quality of Thermador over KA, but should I?

What would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which would you choose

I would want to know if it comes with Thermador's warranty. Some manufacturers only warranty items sold from an authorized retailer. Some manufacturers will not take your word for it--you have to provide a copy of the receipt from said retailer. If you can get confirmation on the warranty status, I say go for it. I would check with Thermador & the company on eBay selling the item & make sure you verify when the warranty starts--when you buy, when you install or when the current seller came into possession of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here