Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelledt

Why Only One Option - Am I Missing Others?

MichelleDT
12 years ago

I want a pro-style red induction range for my prep kitchen - the only one I can find is Viking. Has Viking's quality improved? Anyone have experience with this range? It is pricey (too pricey, me thinks)....are there other options I am overlooking or not finding?

Thanks all!

M

Comments (47)

• cookie08
    12 years ago

No you are not missing others. Viking is it. If you do purchase the Viking induction range, please come back and let us know how it is working for you. Pics would be nice too.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maybe I could have a local powder coating shop make the door and drawer red??? Hummmmm.....I have no photshop skills to see if it would look stoooopid but it would be lots cheaper than a Viking.

It will never look like this tho....

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

That's a hybrid, not an induction range, you know. I'd be cool with that idea, but most people who want induction wouldn't.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

I meant the frigidaire, of course. BTW, it also has a chicken nuggets button (see threads here about that).

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@writersblock - thanks for pointing that out - no, that is not what I want. In my haste to find one that doors big enuf to paint I didn't read the specs.

Well....back to the Viking. I can't find any reviews - one on Amazon and it was terrible.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

I found some reviews, see your other thread.

Gary

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ahhh Gary - thanks as always. You have magical sleuthing abilities when it comes to finding reviews!

• dodge59
    12 years ago

here's A pretty Red One for ya, Michelle.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

Bertazzoni has a red range, Never heard of Smeg but they advertise a red range as does Verona.

• jsceva
    12 years ago

"Bertazzoni has a red range, Never heard of Smeg but they advertise a red range as does Verona." Yup...but none of them is induction.

Viking is it for North America in colored induction ranges. That's one of the reasons why despite some concerns we have actually ordered one [chocolate brown]...its sitting in a warehouse right now, so I can't give you any firsthand feedback yet, but I do promise to post after it is actually installed and used for a while (probably a couple months from now, at this rate).

One potential option if you can do it, though it wouldn't likely save much if any money, would be to use another brand induction cooktop installed over a Viking wall oven...viking also being the only company I am aware of that currently makes a red wall oven that can be installed under-counter (Bluestar and American have red wall ovens, but they can't go under-counter).

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Gary - What is that?? It would be cool if I was doing retro or vintage. It even has a digi clock! ;-)

@eandhl - Yep, they do have red but not with induction tops unless I missed that they could be configured with induction. I will go back and research.

I sent a few requests to local powder coating places to see if they can powder coat a range for me. They may think I am nuts!

I may have to give up the dream....

M

• dodge59
    12 years ago

That is a Rangemaster, Falcon also has a red one.
    They are part of the AGA group.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find them in the US.

Google Falcon Induction Ranges, and also Rangemaster Induction Ranges, Tons of them in all kinds of "Colours" in England, Now Ain't that a Bummer????

The Euros get all the good stuff, way before we do???

Gary

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep - those Euro people get all the fun stuff. We rented a flat in Paris last Spring and they had fire engine red wall ovens with matching cabinets - oh so pretty!

My first response on powder coating the Frigidaire is sure, we can can powder coat that as long as I could take the door off. I am sure I can. He also said even if I can't, he could still do only a bit more work.

Cost - $175 and any RAL color I want. WOOT!

Not sure how good the range is but I can start on reviews next.

M

• eandhl
    12 years ago

Sorry, I missed "induction".

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@eandhl - no worries about induction......I wish there were more induction ranges on the market.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

What Induction range are you looking for Michelle, You find it, and I'll turn it red for ya.

Gary

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gary,

I want it to look like the Viking and be priced like the Frigidaire. Can you make that happen?

;-)

M

• dodge59
    12 years ago

This is the best I can do, Michelle.
    Click the link below and then scroll down to the Gorgeous Red Falcon Induction Range or (Cookers) as they call them in the UK.

All for around 4 Grand (US) ((2600 pounds)).

Side opening doors, You can get a matching hood in the same colour and even a backsplash.

Too bad wee can talk Trevor into carrying these. I bet He could sell a ton of them, any way enjoy the picture and be sure to remove slobber (Quickly) from keyboard LOL

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Gorgeous Induction Ranges

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Drool, swoon, that is just perfect.

Trevor could sell a boatload of these! I can't believe I am the only one who wants this type of range. I'd be the first US tester.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

If I were redoing my kitchen now, I'd be all over that thing.

It seems like either Rhome or Pillog actually imported an induction unit from UK, Hopefully they see this post, or maybe you should do a shout out to them, and they can relate the experieces of importing from the UK.

Sorry I can not recall which one it was??????

Gary

• plllog
    12 years ago

Rhome410 has an eight burner Wolf rangetop. I did bring in a 24" induction unit from Europe because it better met my needs than any sold here. Neither of us have ovens underneath. My little cooktop came in a little box via FedEx. Much different from air freighting a whole range!

The first one Gary posted looks like what is marketed here as the AGA Legacy, but with a smooth top. I think the Legacy only comes with a gas top. I don't know if the exact configuration is the same, but the basic range is. And those do come in colors. But not induction.

The one Michelle just posted look excellent! Even Lacanche has induction available on their ranges, but only in Europe.

My cooktop was designed to work on 50 or 60 Hertz. Probably not true of the range. I think that would be the big issue--our wiring is different. By self-importing I forewent the warranty. That was fine since it was fairly inexpensive, we do have local service people (Gaggenau) and they do sell a larger version of the exact same cooktop here.

Although Falcon is in the same group as AGA, I wouldn't assume that an AGA dealer can fix one.

The reason why Wolf requires that you use the same brand and size of cooktop over oven is so that the various bits and pieces line up. Notably, the power supply. I'm sure that's the reason the other brands do too. As it is, when you put a wall oven under counter, it's lower than a range oven. If it's just the interlocking thing, you theoretically could mix and match, but then the oven would likely be even lower because of having to make them fit.

Michelle, I think your best bet will be to get the range that best fits your budget and get the door painted. The price for painting is very reasonable.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Plllog,

As always thanks for responding and the information. Although I would love to investigate importing the "perfect" range, Mister will for sure think I have lost the last of my mind and remind me this is the PREP KITCHEN! ;-)

The Viking will fit into the budget BUT the reviews are horrible and I don't want to take a change on a $7K range with such horrible reviews when, as u say, I can get a less expensive priced range and have it powder coated for less than $200. Having said that, it is the oven in the pantry which will be used for baking so I don't want an oven that won't perform just because it is cheap. The Frigidaire gets much better reviews than the Viking tho....

You confirmed my thoughts on mixing and matching...perhaps it was my color fantasy that prompted me to at least ask the question.

I don't want a gas oven so that rules out the colored Bertas. I am also looking at the Viking Designer electric in color which is significantly less than the Viking induction. But again - have they resolved the quality and customer service issues? I don't know how old the reviews are and do have an email out to them.

All of this for a racing red pop of color in an all white pantry.

Sigh!

• chris11895
    12 years ago

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, or how much it would cost, but what about doing a red range with a vent hood that is much larger and putting an induction hob into the counter directly next to it? Someone else did this on here, but the name is escaping me right now...

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Michelle: powder coating a cheaper range is going to look...well, cheap in your house. I'd go for the viking, it looks very similar to the bs you already purchased. I have seen some of the plans for your build, and I know it is a big dollar build, possibly millions (with an s on the end). Don't scrimp now. You WILL regret it, take that from experience. Worst case, sell me your benz :)

As far as reviews go, I have leanred to pretty much ignore them. Fwiw, I had a viking gas range so not a real life review for your induction, but still worthy as the gas vikings also got poor reviews. I didn't have any issues with mine. Will your bs be the workhorse? If so, I think that will also lessen the likelyhood your viking will crap out. That viking is gorgeous!

• tyguy
    12 years ago

What color is my future car? Do you have any pics? Do you come with it? A sugar momma is a great idea :)

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

She is silver metallic and would have to make the trip on her own. I am still smitten with Mister. ;-)

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Sounds gorgeous (the car! :) ). I'd love to see pics.

• cottonpenny
    12 years ago

Michelle - I have a Frigidaire range now of a fairly recent vintage, though it's gas/gas. There's nothing wrong with it and even if it performs fine, it's going to look and feel cheap compared to your other appliances. I'd reconsider that choice. At the very least check them out at Lowes before you make that choice.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Tyguy - OK, OK, I will send you a pic for your wallet.

@Cottonpenny - thanks for your feedback. I think I have come full circle here...if the AR Step Up Hybrid is available when I have to order, I will probably do that and if not, then Viking it is. I have a call with Viking product support tomorrow at 10. We shall see what they have to say.

Cheers,

M

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Cool...I look forward to the pic.

I think you are right on...AR first if available, viking if not.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tyguy...how about this instead? OMGosh - this is a beauty.

{{gwi:1394288}}

M

• tyguy
    12 years ago

I'm not a huge ferrari fan...I'll take your benz
    What sl do you have btw?

• dodge59
    12 years ago

You needs a more Modern car than that "Old Fashioned Benz", tv guy. (LOL Michelle).

This car has pushbutton drive, seats that "Swing Out to Meet You, Swing back to Seat You", It has a hidden DVD player that "Pops outta The Dash". It has 476 horse power and "Passes everything (Including Benzes) EXCEPT Gas Stations!!!!

Gary

PS, that's a picture of me 5 years ago!

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cool car...and ur not so bad either! What is your secret to not aging??

;-))

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Dodge: ya thanks but no thanks. :). Not my style at all, but I will admit it is gorgeous. Funny how people rarely look like how you picture huh? You are better looking! :). (Don't worry I'm straight as an arrow!!!!!). Thanks for the pic. As for your cars performance claims tho, the guys in the benz's were not trying. :)

• tyguy
    12 years ago

In which ever lifetime I am able to afford this, we will meet up. We will post it on you tube as sort of a sequel of sorts to your video with mojo. Oh, and since I am such a nice guy I will drive out to you, and that has nothing at all to do with you being in california ;).

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=T2jUwonbY-s&gl=CA

Oh...and this is not the fastest benz either.

That would go to this one:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=4GSXZqXU43k

But I am more than happy with the first.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

A-hem. If you are still interested in a non-Viking induction range, I hear Verona is coming out with one. Can't find pics online. Maybe call Trevor.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Marcolo - I have been looking at induction cooktops and under counter ovens for the pantry...giving up the racing red dream.

• elyash
    12 years ago

Michelle,
    Have you looked at the Thermador Freedom induction cook top? According to the website: Thermador Freedom Induction Cooktop is the first full-surface induction appliance. It features the flexibility of a natural-mapping user interface that intelligently recognizes cookware size, shape and position to deliver heat without boundaries.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Avidchef - yes, I did look at the Thermador (CES) and it is very cool. I think it only comes in 36" tho and I need 30". This will go in my baking center so smaller space. I am doing a 60" Bluestar in the kitchen.

I will take another look to see if it is available in 30".

Cheers,

M

• luv2putt
    12 years ago

im looking at/for the viking induction range in Northern Calif.. let me know if you find any decent prices ...

• elyash
    12 years ago

I spoke to Trevor tonight and he said Verona does indeed have an induction range. They showed it at the AD show, but is not yet on their website. Or at least I could not find it. If I have time, I will call Verona this week.However, If you are interested I would call Trevor. He does carry the Verona line. He was extremely helpful to me - and very patient.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Avidchef,

That is GREAT news....I will ping Trevor. Do u have any details????

M

• jsceva
    12 years ago

@luv2putt

Viking has extremely uniform pricing within any single distributer region; I am in SF, and recently bought an induction range (FWIW, through BSC Culinary - Charmen there is very helpful). I found absolutely no variation in price from any authorized retailer. All were exactly the same, to the dollar. I also quickly confirmed that Viking dealers outside the area will NOT sell and ship to you - there may be some exceptions willing to bend the rules, but I didn't find any.

When comparing prices, note that colors cost significantly more than stainless, black or white, and sometimes it isn't clear which they are referring to. Also, I have noticed that some online dealers take the current "instant savings" promotion off their advertised cost, and some do not, so verify whether any price is before or after that promotion. If you are looking for stainless or white, you might be able to find a deal on a floor model, or on ebay, but if you go that route make sure you confirm that the warranty isn't affected (and be aware the promotion might not apply). I'd also make sure, in the case of any floor model, that it wasn't produced too long ago - they made some improvements and changed producers for their induction elements not all that long ago (I think about a year and a half now? might be slightly longer).

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@Avidchef - The price on the Verona induction range is $3K. Can't find any pics or details but I have time to keep researching. Let me know if you find pics or details.

M

• beachpea3
    10 years ago

Bump- Did anyone find the Verona Induction??? If yes, any thoughts...reviews??