Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Island range hood/venting advice needed

Posted by Imcaffeine (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 13:04

Hello all, it's my first post here, and thanks for all the useful information in the forum.
We are buying a new condo with an island range design. The problem is that the current range hood is installed way too high from the range, and I can barely turn on the hood (I'm short, but I'm of an average women's height!)

In addition, the hood does not vent outside.

Interestingly, there is a vent (similar to a bathroom vent in a typical apartment, 100CFM) located 3 feet away from the vent where the filtered air comes out of the hood, so I see a potential to re-design and re-install a hood to utilize this external venting duct. To do so, we'll need to have a three feet pipe on the kitchen ceiling to run from the hood, to the external vent.

The current hood is also an insert style, so I'll get rid off it to install a new island hood.

The range is Bertazzoni Professional Series X365GGVNE. So I need a size 42" hood. Total BTU is 52,500, so I'll need at least 600 CFM. I'm thinking 900-1200 because it's island mount. Style wise, I want something that looks like this:
Zephyr Arc Duo Collection ADLE42ASX (less expensive model works too, but if this one really does a much better job, I can bite the bullet).

Now, do you have any better recommendations on a powerful and more quiet hood (has to look very similar to the above), and how should I incorporate the hood to my current venting situation (internal blower?)

How should I install it? Should I buy the hood myself, and then contact a local installer to work on the vent? Or should I contact a local kitchen designer for a quote? What's the proper procedure? How much does installation (including material) cost for a job like this?

Thank you very much for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Island range hood/venting advice needed

First stop is your condo board. They will have a LOT of rules about what you can and can't do ventilation wise. There is no getting around their restrictions, so better figure out what they are first.

o

It's not a coop. I can do whatever I want within the apt. I'm not creating a new hole on exterior walls so it's okay. Thanks!

o

The hole size sufficient for 100 cfm is a lot smaller than that for 1200 cfm.

You should at least choose the hood yourself balancing the three competing factors Performance, Aesthetics, Affordability. Then, if installation is out of your skill set, hire a HVAC team to install it and perform the necessary duct changes. They should be on-board before purchasing the hood to ensure that they see a way to install and duct it. There may be reasons, such as hidden beams, that would influence the choice of hood, ducting, and blower.

kas

o

The vent hole is where the current vent recirculates the air back into the room? Then it's not an exterior vent. It's just an interior loop that does you no good. And yes, the condo board most surely DOES have say as to how you punch holes in your exterior.

Start by asking your neighbors what they have done for ventilation. And then get an HVAC expert in to examine the situation before you get too far into the design phase. Once you get their recommendation, you can approach the condo board about alterations to the unit's exterior. Good luck! Most boards aren't that willing to work with you on something like this.

o

Got it. Thank you all.

Now, if I can NOT vent outside, which of the following two Zephyr is suitable for my needs?
ZRM-E42BS
ADL-E42ASX
The latter is almost twice as expensive, but with the same 600 CFM. I called Zephyr and I was told that the expensive model is made in Italy, thus more expensive. The motor is also made differently.
Anybody has any opinion on these? thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here