Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleepydrj

Advice!! Do you use a Gaggenau EB388610

sleepydrj
11 years ago

Moving soon, and the home has a Gaggenau EB388610 wall oven. It seems much too small for my needs- hard to believe a 36" oven that is only 14" interior height!

Do you have this oven? what can you bake in it? I think I will swap it out and get a range.

** I am not interested in how "accurate" it is- lots of ovens are accurate. I would love to know what actually can be cooked in it (apart from frozen hors d'oevres on trays).

Comments (11)

• xedos
    11 years ago

Let's look at it from the opposite perspective:

What is that you want to cook in there that won't fit in it ???

The space is wider than a normal oven.

FWIW - my everyday oven is a 30" Wolf and it has 16" of ht. and I only use 8-10" of that on a regular basis.

Sure, you'll have to adjust the way you arrange thighs or get different cookie sheets, but this oven is not the liability you perceive.

• sleepydrj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply- actually there is a lot that I don't think I could cook in there.
    My signature fun item is to bake three layer cakes- so three x 10" cakes at one time. I can't see how that can fit nicely in an oven with interior of only 14.4 inches. Split that with two racks, it divides the interior space into 3 segments (or arguably two), right? 4" seems pretty tight for a rising cake- I wonder if you can safely maneuver it in that space? Same goes for pies on holidays. I would normally bake 3 pies at once an it seems very crowded.

I am also not sure how you can cook a turkey in there. Wouldn't it want to scorch with the lower rack all the way on the bottom? and I wonder if the whole thing would just not fit.
    I was just wondering who out there actually has one of these, and how crammed it is in reality. Or is the favorite dish re-heated frozen hor d'oeuvres with this oven? I wonder if this is the case.

• jadeite
    11 years ago

I have a 27" Electrolux wall oven. I believe the interior height is around 16". I manage very well with this. I regularly bake cookies on 3 sheets. I don't have 3 10" cake pans, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I would try to put 2 on one rack, one slightly in front and to the side of the other, and the third on a second rack. Why don't you try fitting your bakeware inside the oven?

I roasted a 22 lb turkey in my Elux, and put a second pan in to heat as the same time. It worked fine. I assume the Gagg has convection, which the Elux has. Once the oven has heated, it bakes and roasts very evenly.

Cheryl

• xedos
    11 years ago

"I wonder if the whole thing would just not fit. "

turkey will fit.

Bottom element is concealed so scorching is not a problem. Especially on convection.

Oven has three levels so you can put a cake on each level, I never baked more that 2 at a time. Comes with 3 pans , but only one rack so you may want to buy additional wire rack(s).

There is an optional pizza stone that has it's own element that heats to around 600 degrees if I remember right - it's fantastic.

Do as jade suggests - see if YOUR stuff fits in it and remember all 3 levels are useable.

The main drawback with all Gaggenau ovens in my opinion is the pictogram controls that you have to cycle through and remember the symbols for. Most are easy like broil and convection, bottom heat, but some get confusing.

This is a great oven IF you get with the program - their program. It's not a glorified toaster oven. If you want it to behave and work like your old kenmore or thermador then you'll likely hate the thing forever. That pizza stone is great for breads too.

• weissman
    11 years ago

I just checked and height of the oven on my DCS gas range is 14" and it's plenty large for anything I've wanted to cook in it including a large turkey. I have 3 racks and 4 rack positions and I've never had a problem.

Gaggenau is a great brand. I'd suggest you use it for a while and get used to it. If it doesn't work for you, you can always switch it out later. In any case, you'll need to change the cabinet for a larger oven.

• sleepydrj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply- actually there is a lot that I don't think I could cook in there.
    My signature fun item is to bake three layer cakes- so three x 10" cakes at one time. I can't see how that can fit nicely in an oven with interior of only 14.4 inches. Split that with two racks, it divides the interior space into 3 segments (or arguably two), right? 4" seems pretty tight for a rising cake- I wonder if you can safely maneuver it in that space? Same goes for pies on holidays. I would normally bake 3 pies at once an it seems very crowded.

I am also not sure how you can cook a turkey in there. Wouldn't it want to scorch with the lower rack all the way on the bottom? and I wonder if the whole thing would just not fit.
    I was just wondering who out there actually has one of these, and how crammed it is in reality. Or is the favorite dish re-heated frozen hor d'oeuvres with this oven? I wonder if this is the case.

• xedos
    11 years ago

hey doc - are you simply not reading the responses or are you deliberately being obstinate ???

I had one of these in a prior house. I can , in fact, tell you a butterball from Kroger will fit in the oven on the gaggenau roasting pan on the bottom level... There is no exposed bottom element so scorching IS NOT a problem.

Clear enough, or do you want to speculate and argue some more ?

Use convection roast and it'll brown up nicely and it will still be juicy. Want a real treat ? Get a small bird or two ( quail is nice) and put em on the rotating spit inside the oven.

Your 3 - 10" pans WILL fit. 10" is not the problem. There are three levels AND three pans and they will each accommodate cake pans - you know they bake cakes in Germany and the rest of Europe too. Convection will bake them fine as well as pecan pies.

Will your recipe turn out EXACTLY like you're used to baking it for the last 20 years? I have no idea, but the tools will fit that oven. Besides you'll have to adjust some part of the process no matter what oven you chose, unless you get EXACTLY the one you have now.

WHat is your aversion to jade's suggestion of trying it out for yourself and seeing ?????????? You will already have paid for the oven, why not try it before you spend thousands on a new oven/range AND more $$$ on the cabinet work needed to to change that 90 cm opening to a 30" one for an different oven or a range ?

You ignore the advice you've gotten here, are you simply looking for a yes man or woman to agree with you that your stuff won't fit ??? Not a lot (if any ) of those around here.

Perhaps your best bet is to head on down to Sears and let them "sell" you a range. They have a huge selection and I'm sure you can find something to make you happy. They can prob. give you the number of a "guy" than can make it fit in your cabinets too.

I think you just want a range and you want somebody to help you "justify" your desire. Own it. You want a range, you've got the $$$, don't apologize for that or seek validation. It's your house and your money.

• KBSpider
    11 years ago

Calm down, xedos, it looks like she accidentally double posted, that's all...

• xedos
    11 years ago

I'm totally mellow Spider, sleepy didn't double post BTW.

You don't find it odd that she won't just see if her stuff will fit in her own oven even after two people said the space is larger than she thinks it is ?

Thanks for the input.

• KBSpider
    11 years ago

Thanks a lot; now I have the song "They Call Me Mellow Yellow" in my head....

There have been a few double-posts over on the Kitchen forum and it just looked like the same thing here since the second message was identical...

I do agree that the best thing to do would be to go see if her stuff would fit. That's what most folks recommend in all the threads on this topic I've seen. And when I finally get my a** in gear and actually go look at my top range choices, I will of course be bringing any pans I want to make sure fit... :)

• xedos
    11 years ago

Better than "do the Dew" !