Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mis3hijos

Burn off in American Range, Gas Smell. Help!

mis3hijos
16 years ago

Yesterday, I did the burn off as required for the oven. It did smell, but had plenty of windows open. I decided to try to cook a dinner in the oven last night, but the smell was too much.

This morning I turned on the oven to 450 at bake and I still get a lot of gas smell. I have plans to host Easter Dinner, but I won't be able to use my oven with that gas smell. Is this normal? when I turned the convection fan on, it was worse. Do I need to have someone out? Using the cooktop has been fine, no gas odor. Am I doing something wron? Any help, is greatly appreciated.

Comments (16)

• weissman
    16 years ago

You could have a gas leak in the oven but it's unlikely - more likely is that you need to burn off the oils in the oven a bit longer - what does the manufacturer recommend? It true that when you turn the oven on at first you will get a brief gas smell, but that quickly goes away. I would try burning off the oven oils again with your vent hood going full blast and the windows open. If that doesn't solve the problem then a service call is in order.
    Are you sure it's gas you're smelling?

• mis3hijos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is my first gas range. So I don't know if it is the oils or gas smell. I did the 40 min. at 450 and then I did 30 min at broil yesterday.

Today, when I put it at bake at 450, the thermostat light will turn off and then back on. I'm a little nervous because of Easter on Sunday. I couldn't handle the smell and I turned off the oven after 30 min. this morning.

• weissman
    16 years ago

The first thing you need to do is make sure you know what natural gas smells like. Light one of your cooktop burners - before the burner actually lights you'll get a brief whiff of natural gas - it's important to identify that smell - actually pure natural gas has no odor, they add the odor to help people identify gas leaks.

If you think it's gas you're smelling from the oven, then yes, you should either call your gas company who can test for a gas leak - they won't fix it - and/or your range manufacturer for a service call. If you don't think it's a gas smell, then I would run the oven a good bit long and see if it helps or call the manufacturer and ask for their advice. It's isn't a burning plastic smell by any chance? Some people with Wolf ranges had that problem. Good luck.

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

As to weissman's point, it is important to distinguish b/t gas and the odor often referred to here as gas. Do you have a gas log lighter not connected to an ignitor? If so use that. Otherwise use weissman's method. My view of a true natural gas smell is that it has a smooth somewhat sweet smell while the gassy smell that many refer to here is ofen referred to as acrid and turns out to be sort of an exhaust smell and not really gas. If you have a gas leak, you likely would notice more when not using the oven than when it is on.

How did you burn your range in? My previous Wolf 36 inch took two 4 hour sessions and then it had residual smell after that for a while. It was a bit comical the first time. I did not know what to expect and had never heard of burn-in. They had just installed my beautiful Wolf 36, my parents came the same day and I cranked it up. After it got to about 400 degrees, it was smoking profusely. I turned it off and called Wolf immediately. The impressive thing was that when I gave them the serial number, they knew me as purchaser, my address and the day it was installed. They told me how to burn it in and it was normal. The instructions were to turn it to 500 degrees, turn on the vent hood, open the windows and leave the room for at least 4 hours. That said, the oven also always had exhaust type smell during preheat...always... just a factor of that unit apparently. It was short lived and not very offensive.

I am not sure you have to be too concerned about Easter Sunday cooking but I would recommend you turn your unit on full blast and let'er rip for 6 hours or so and then try it again tomorrow. I think it really depends on how much machine oil is used and dust that accumulates during construction as to the level of burn off required.

• User
    16 years ago

This doesn't sound right. A mild smell, but it shouldn't smell like plastic or gas..

• mcferg626
    16 years ago

I agree it took longer than the manual said to get rid of the burn off smell when I did it a few months ago. It was very strong but after doing the burn off twice it resolved. I had all the windows open and multiple fans. The smell was a very chemical nasty one. We recently had a small gas leak from one of the connections in the range and it was more of a sickly sweet smell. Good luck, it should resolve if you do the burn off again.

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

when i turn on my oven i get a brief smell then it disipates after 10 min. or so. i don't have my hood installed yet & i have the 48" A.R. unfortunitely i don't believe anyone is in the office on the weekend.
    john

• amr01
    16 years ago

Dear mis3hijos,

I am a representative of American Range. Please email me your contact inforamtion and I will assist you.

email: cthompson@americanrange.com

Respectfully,
    American Range

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

mis3hijos,
    how did u make out with your burn off?
    john

• mis3hijos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I burned off the following day for about 5 hours. The day of Easter Dinner, all went well. Thank you all for your input.

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

that's good news, i see the big dawg was offering you assistance. so how did you like cooking on it? what did you use before?
    john

• mis3hijos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

johnnytugs,

I enjoyed cooking in it. There is a learning curve for me. I cooked a ham with the convection oven. I should have taken it out earlier, the edges were crisp. I have burnt a pot of beans. I haven't bought the flame tamer. I was very impressd with the American Range representive offering help. My previous range I was cooking on an electric coil range. Gas, is different and I am still learning. But, I do love the American and I'm glad my DH splurged and wanted to make sure a happy wife, makes a happy household.

Thanks for all the info. I bought a FD refrigerator that I don't like. The cabinet color is black and when you enter my kitchen the first thing you notice it the black cabinet. Looks like I am going back to a SxS. Any ideas?

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

mis3hijos
    i can definitely relate to the cooking learning experience after many years of the maytag or whatever make little 4 burner i had that would barely boil water.
    they say that when you use the convection you don't need to cook it as long but old habits are hard to break. if you ck out the thread calling all american range owners you can see some other's stories.also if you turn the knob i believe counter clock wise from max u may get a lower flame i know it work's on my 48".
    so you don't like the french door refrigerators? i have a side by side now and can't wait to get the FD. i was wondering what you didn't like about it(besides the color) since i have never had one. i'm pretty much set on the samsung FD.
    john

Here is a link that might be useful: calling all american range owners

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

mis3hijos
    i can definitely relate to the cooking learning experience after many years of the maytag or whatever make little 4 burner i had that would barely boil water.
    they say that when you use the convection you don't need to cook it as long but old habits are hard to break. if you ck out the thread calling all american range owners you can see some other's stories.also if you turn the knob i believe counter clock wise from max u may get a lower flame i know it work's on my 48".
    so you don't like the french door refrigerators? i have a side by side now and can't wait to get the FD. i was wondering what you didn't like about it(besides the color) since i have never had one. i'm pretty much set on the samsung FD.
    john

Here is a link that might be useful: calling all american range owners

• mis3hijos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

johnnytugs,

Well, I've had the FD for about a week and my DH and I have come to the conclusion we would prefer a side by side.
    I tend to open both doors to look at what I have in the refrigerator. The freezer doesn't hold as much as my sxs and the door can get heavy. I must say that I have 3 boys 9,6 and 2 and they miss having the water on the outside. It allows them to be self-sufficient. I will miss the large deli tray, but that is about it. I wasn't able to store my 3 - 1/2 gallons of milk and juice on the doors in addition to all the condiments, dressings on the door. I ran out of room. I know the FD are the new craze, but it didn't work out for my needs. I use the freezer to have quick food for the boys. Good luck.

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

those are all good points ,i will bring them up to wifey when i get home.
    thank you,
    john