Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheriei_gw

Need help choosing appliances for new house

cheriei
10 years ago

I have an $8000 budget for appliances in my new house. I can go over some, but not break the bank. I think I can justify spending an extra $5K to have a dreamy kitchen.
I NEED the basics - range, dw, refrigerator. I WANT a freezerless fridge and matching freezer, wine fridge, pro-style range, drawer microwave, trash compactor, ice maker, dishwasher, and an electric double wall oven. :). I have no idea who makes the best affordable appliances or even where I should allocate the majority of my budget.
Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. I'm overwhelmed.

Comments (4)

• laundryvet
    10 years ago

Cheriei,

Spend a few hours browsing this website to begin with. About once a month somebody asks the same question as you, although wanting a trash compactor seems like a less popular desire.

Dishwasher: get Miele, even the most basic model is excellent. Second choice, higher end Bosch. If you live in a rural area Miele may not be a good choice.

Laundryvet

• cheriei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very rural. I've had the same Bosch dishwasher for 16 years, so that was what I was hoping to hear. I'm a little disappointed in having so few options for a freezerless fridge. The ice maker is the first thing I'll cross off, if need be.

• laundryvet
    10 years ago

A few months back a few refrigerator-only photos were shown, I think Electrolux. Search a bit and you should come to it. Lots of info on prices paid.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

cheriei

On matching fridge-freezer pairs, there have been numbers of threads. Sometimes, you just need some vocabulary and model numbers to help with a search. You could start with these two threads on major brand models:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg012059109995.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0217454513977.html?16

Talking about a "pro-style" range and "affordable appliances" may be a bit of an oxymoron. Prices for 30-inch model all-gas pro-style ranges generally start at around $3500 and go way up from there. Even higher if you want a six-burner 36" wide model. The only exception is the NXR which runs about $1999 for a 30" model (Costco.com sometimes runs sales at $1799). But, the NXR is like buying a small, imported 4-wheel-drive pick-up truck with a manual transmission and manual hubs -- great vehicle for some people but not others. Maybe you might want to consider, say, a GE Cafe range -- some pro-style looks, though sleeker and with digital conveniences like Sabbath modes and a bigger oven than the NXR.

But why buy a range? You will be getting double-wall ovens. A rangetop, rather than a range would be more budget friendly.

And that leads to another suggestion: try focusing on what you want to do with the stove (or range top) and how you want to use it and what you are willing to put up with to get what you want. Do you want or need a 36" wide six-burner cooktop? If not, then a 30" model will be more budget friendly. Lots of threads on cooktops here, too. So maybe, when you get your choices narrowed, you can try starting a narrower thread on the models you are specifically interested in. As a practical matter, you may get more and better feedback if you do that. If you want "pro-style" then you could check out the Blue Star rangetops. Others brands have been recommended here, as well.

One thing I did not see on your list is a rangehood. Sorry to add to your research woes, but that will likely be a practical necessity. Lots of threads on them, too, plus you should talk to your builder about "make-up air" (for which "MUA" is the frequently used acronym.)

There have been a number of recent threads on wine fridges. You might also try searching at chowhound and e-gullet, too.

Same thing for drawer mircrowaves and ice makers.

Can't help with trash compactors and don't recall seeing any recent threads on them here. I'd try the kitchens forum.