Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-preheating oven--Jenn Air

Posted by wallycat (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 12:17

I was looking through an old Arch. Digest and saw a Jenn Air oven that requires no preheating. Have not heard much about it. Curious if anyone knows anything about this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-preheating oven--Jenn Air

No oven "requires" preheating. The food you cook in it however does require it if you are baking or you are roasting and want to get a sear on the exterior. Those functions require that the food be exposed to heat from the beginning. Most other recipes can be altered to start with a cold oven. Just add on 15-20 minutes for the oven to come up to temperature onto the cooking time. I often do a roast chicken by starting with a cold oven and it comes out just fine.

o

Ovens that "don't" call for separate preheating may have a built-in preheat function. The old Martha Washington (yes, that's a brand) wall oven in the house my built in 1964 had an automatic preheat that ran both the bake & broil elements until 350F was reached (if the thermostat was set at least that high).

o

Thanks. I understand what and why preheat is used, it was just that Jenn Air boasted no need for it (that it is ready the instant you turn the oven on at whatever temp you set). Have not heard this so was curious since I have only seen it in Arch. Digest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here