Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am I doomed to keep my electric cooktop?

Posted by DianeLynn99 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 12:11

Hi all. We have a Jenn-Air electric cooktop that I'm sick to death of. (We have 7 kids and I cook all the time.) We finally decided to replace it with an induction cooktop. My budget is $2,000 so wanted the Bosch 500 series.

My problem? We have Silestone quartz countertops and the opening for the cooktop is 21". I cannot replace the countertops right now because they are in perfect shape. Every induction cooktop I see requires a cutout depth of less than 20".

Am I stuck with this loser Jenn-Air or does anyone know of a way I might get an induction cooktop to fit in that space?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I doomed to keep my electric cooktop?

You might be able to get some kind of trim for the cooktop to fill in the gap.

o

Can you live with a seam at the back and a minor color mismatch? If so, a good fabricator could probably insert a 1" strip of quartz (half of which would be under the cooktop. It would need to be supported underneath, but that's not rocket science.

The metal trim strip at the back of the Bosch cooktop would likely draw the eye away from the seam.

It might even be possible to hide two 1/2" filler strips completely under the front and back edges of the cooktop. Again, I think the trim on the Bosch cooktop would help achieve that.

BTW, we really liked the Bosch 500 series induction - I think you will be very happy with it.

This post was edited by Caliente63 on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 14:23

o

You haven't mentioned ventilation. If you had a downdraft with the JA there are popup models that slot in behind the cooktop. Some, like the Miele, come up 14" with different blower options.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele DA6480

o

We do have the downdraft JA but weren't planning on using a vent with the induction. That's a good idea.

We have the piece that was cut out from the countertop when they were installed so I'm going to ask an installer about adding a strip. I sure hope that works because I was completely bummed when I thought I'd have to live with this JA cooktop.

o

We do have the downdraft JA but weren't planning on using a vent with the induction. That's a good idea.

We have the piece that was cut out from the countertop when they were installed so I'm going to ask an installer about adding a strip. I sure hope that works because I was completely bummed when I thought I'd have to live with this JA cooktop.

o

We replaced our JA cooktop and downdraft with a Bosch 800 induction cooktop and Bosch popup ventilation. We love the combination. The Bosch ventilation works - maybe not as well as a hood, but compared to the JA it's fabulous.

Hope you can find a way to make it all work

o

Have you looked at www.microtrim.com website? Seems like they sell the type of filler you would need. I've never used them, so I can't say anything of the quality. I would call them to get their input on how to retrofit in your situation since the trim is only cosmetic and not meant to support the cooktop. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here