Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slytherina

Best single wall oven for baking?

slytherina
10 years ago

A question for all you bakers ...

DH is the cook and I'm the baker, and we often find that we need two ovens.

For our kitchen reno, we're going for a 36" BlueStar RNB range, and that gas oven will be mostly for his cooking, roasting, braising, etc. Then we're thinking of a single electric 27" wall oven to be used mostly for my baking.

I don't need a lot of special settings or cooking modes, just a reliable oven with an option for true convection. Having burned my forearms enough times wrangling pans or testing doneness, I'd love a model with telescoping racks.

The Electrolux IQ-Touch Series EI27EW35JS would fit our budget and seems to get good reviews. Is there something better?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (16)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

NIB GAGGENAU BL253610 24" Single Electric Wall-Mounted Lift Oven.

Rock solid temps and never reach over hot oven door.
    $1500 with free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: GAGGENAU BL253610

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Or side opening Gaggenau

GAGGENAU BO251611 24" Single Electric Wall Oven

$3500 with free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: GAGGENAU BO251611

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

I've had the 27" Bosch wall oven for 18 months and love it. Originally I was going to purchase telescoping racks after the install but to my surprise, found that the regular Bosch racks slide quite nicely so have stayed with those. If still interested, google to see if one can still purchase their telescoping racks. Good luck.

• slytherina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, deeageaux, but the lift oven doesn't fit our configuration. What about the Gagg side door opening over makes you recommend it?

I've been considering the Bosch, Texasgal47, but wasn't sure because they didn't have the telescoping racks. Good to know you're happy with it even without the racks! Which do you have: 300, 500 or 800 series? And thanks for the feedback.

• wekick
    10 years ago

I have a bunch of extra racks because my oven was replaced and have both kinds of racks. I keep a rolling rack in the bottom and one regular rack more in the middle. It is much easier to move around which I tend to do. I can easily add the second regular rack if I need it. Try moving one around whatever brand you are considering. Some are easier than others.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Why are you looking at a 27 inch wide oven? Why not 30? To fit larger cookie sheets. There is so much insulation built into today's ovens that a27 does not fit much. It is smaller, in the interior than my old 24 inch oven. Always check the interior dimensions, always.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Triple paned quadruple glazed doors.

Absolute rock solid temps.

In the 24" Oven you can place baker's half sheets directly into the grooves inside the oven.

You can evenly bake three baker's half sheets at one time.

No burning arms reaching over hot oven door.

Heated air cleaning catalyst cleans air before exiting to kitchen.

Super Fast Preheat. 375 degrees in about 7 minutes.

13 heat modes allowing you to control where the heat is coming from. Just top, just bottom, both and or convection etc. Economy mode to save energy.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I've heard good things about Gagg, but $3,500 is out of our budget. :(

That is why I mentioned the deal on the Lift oven but you asked about the side opening Gagg.

• wekick
    10 years ago

I have an Electrolux wall oven and Wolf DF range. I would not recommend them though because the blue enamel has eroded and chipped in both. Electrolux will only cover the interior of the oven for the first year. If you buy their extended warranty, it is excluded. They both work great though as far as baking. It is a shame such good ovens are ruined by this problem. I baked a long time with conventional ovens and usually go more for simple but I do like having the various modes.

edit-When you looking at interior measurements, look at the rack size. When you have convection fans, they can take away part of the usable space in the back. There may even be a notch around the fan. Even when a "flat back" is advertised, this may mean the back is flat but still is where the front of the fan is. Also top to bottom, consider the distance from the rack to the top element.
    Also look at light placement. One oven I had recently had the lights placed so low, you could not see what you were baking.

This post was edited by wekick on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 12:17

• shelferk
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Does enamel erode like this in Gagg ovens? Thx

• sail_away
    8 years ago

Not popular here, but I've been extremely happy with my Jenn-Air electric wall oven. Heats evenly and accurately. Price reasonable when bought in a package with other appliances.

• dbabrams
    8 years ago

I have not seen any reports of enamel eroding on Gagg ovens, but they are fairly rare on here, so who knows. As far as I know it's only been on the blue enameled Wolf ovens.

• wekick
    8 years ago

I have not heard of any issues with Gaggenau blue enamel and they talk about it being a "closely guarded secret" on their website.

I personally have had blue enamel issues with Dacor(wall oven and DF range) Electrolux (wall oven) and Wolf(DF range).

• turquoiseturtle
    5 years ago

I ran across this looking for this answer in 2018 https://blog.yaleappliance.com/most-reliable-wall-ovens I think we are planning to go with a whirlpool any one have experiences with whirlpool? please share.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    5 years ago

I'm really liking my Bluestar wall oven.

Kitchen · More Info

Whole wheat bread

Kitchen · More Info

Banana-chickpea muffins

Wheat and chickpeas are fresh ground, not packaged.