Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michiganrachel

Fridge - GE Monogram vs KitchenAid vs Subzero

michiganrachel
14 years ago

We are in the process of renovating and adding on to a home. I am in the process of trying to choose appliances for our new kitchen. I think I am going to get the GE monogram 48" dual fuel range.

Are any of the brands on refrigerators really better or worse than the others?

Does anyone have recent versions of the 42" side by side of any of these?

I've had a KitchenAid refrigerator before and was very happy with it. With current rebate programs, I can get the GE Monogram fridge for about the same price as the KitchenAid. The Subzero is about $2k more. Is it really worth it?

Thanks,

Rachel

Comments (38)

• wendage2
    14 years ago

I am very interested in this questions as well.. We are deciding on the same 3 fridges.

• jbril375
    14 years ago

my in-laws have a GE Monogram and it was having issues holding temps. They had many issues with this unit and eventually had it replaced by GE

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

I had the GE monogram all fridge and all Freezer units installed in 2007. Within 6 months I replaced them with the Miele units.

The freezer had so much frost build up, you couldn't close the drawers and thus the door did not close properly. Iw as defrosting it weekly.

The fridge had a mold colony growing in the drip tray RIGHT BEHIND THE WIRE FRUIT AND VEGETABLE drawers. According to GE it was operating within normal parameters and in addition the drip tray assembly could neither be cleaned properly nor replaced.

I can't speak for the other brands you're looking at but I can tell you that I love my Mieles. The look is fully integrated but never mind that... They work well and my fruit and veggies seem to last longer, everything is easy to see and easy to find so no more wasted food.

• lanuzzo
    14 years ago

We had a GE bottom freezer fridge that had many issues holding temps. I would never buy another GE fridge. We replaced it with a kenmore branded Kitchen Aid fridge. I love it and knock on wood, have had no issues in the last 18 mos

• sayde
    14 years ago

Have had a Kitchenaid Superba built in 48 for more than ten years with no problems. Had looked at SubZero but they were having reliability issues (since resolved) so went with KA and have never had reason to be sorry.

• gatorguy
    14 years ago

I can only speak as to the KA 48" side by side built in architect II, which I've had in now for about two years without any problems. It has been fairly quiet and there have been no complaints. Certainly I like the fact that food doesn't get lost in the back like in some of the full depth fridges. I might have considered the subzero, but the handles on the KA matched well with the Miele ovens and DW. Oh and the extra 5 or 6 thousand was an issue as well.
    I think only you can decide if the 2K extra is worth it for the "prestige" of the subzero.

• eugkim
    13 years ago

My SZ 42" side by side/dispenser model has been nothing but a headache for the last 6 years. Luckily, SZ offered to replace it for $2500.

I don't think I'd hesitate to buy another. Hopefully, my bad experience was an anomaly. Now, my experience with Fisher&Paykel is another story altogether.

• sandbox5
    13 years ago

I just asked this same question to a repair guy who was at my house fixing an ice maker in my outdoor fridge. (A KA btw) I asked him from a repair standpoint about *all* kitchen appliances. He said NEVER buy a GE fridge. He said they make cooking components well but everybody has their niche and that's not theirs. KA for DW, SZ for fridges and GE for ovens. Granted that is one person's opinion but he had nothing to gain or lose in the conversation. He also said he wouldn't buy a Viking anything. He felt like the mid-point appliances performed just as well as the high end for a lot less money. The only exception was the SZ fridge. hth..
    R

• dsg_woof_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

We have a KitchenAid 48" and will NEVER buy another KitchenAid appliance of any kind. The fridge has had so many problems, the seal on the door never worked well, and the customer service is terrible.

• beantownrenovator
    10 years ago

trying to bump this up...trying to make a similar decision.

• redoingit
    10 years ago

I posted on a similar thread already today. Love my GE monogram 42".....7 years old, quiet, and no issues with my family of 5. No mold anywhere, no frost....been a gem and workhorse. But if true integration were my priority, I would spend the money on the SZ.

• DR Utter
    10 years ago

We are in the process of a kitchen remodel. I am also debating between the SZ, GE monogram or a Thermador. Any new suggestions?

• satsynana
    10 years ago

We purchased ENTIRE GE MONOGRAM package November 2011. Regrets?!? NOTHING BUT!
    *Wall oven sensors replaced within 6 months since door too hot to touch, would not cool down nor could open oven door.
    *Griddle fire December 10, 2012 due to grease build up because of grease seeping under griddle accumulating by flame because of design flaw. Griddle not used now even though "special GE engineers determined after looking at photos that it is NORMAL GREASE BUILD UP by flame & safe to use". SERIOUSLY?!?
    *48" side by side refrigerator stays between 22-27 degrees thus freezing refrigerated food 7/26/13. The following items were replaced: foam assembly, damper, fresh food sensor & mother board. As of 9/12/13, it is freezing foods yet again. Another damper has been ordered costing us over $400 including service call.
    It was interesting hearing GE Service Tech saying "too bad you bought the 2011 instead of now...made in China then and now in US."
    Any suggestions?!?

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Revisiting this thread to ask if anyone has purchased the GE Monagram line up lately?

• xedos
    9 years ago

The Monogram fridge is bringing up the rear in that troika.

Easy choice to go KA at the same price - and I am no fan of KA at all ! The fridge is a solid unit.

The SZ is better - but $2k better ??? That depends on your wallet first and then your appreciation for details and technology second. You should have a nicer buying experience with the SZ, but mileage will vary and do you even care enough about that anyway - let alone at a higher $$$ ?

• satsynana
    9 years ago

Update: GE graciously REPLACED both oven & 48" side by side Monogram refrigerator because it was determined after multiple attempts repairing both none were successful. (Grease still seeping under griddle & under the grease collector on the brand new range!).

• pissednow
    9 years ago

We purchased a GE Monogram all refrig. in 2011. It began having condensation problems almost from the very beginning. Finally this past week they offered to sell us a new model for $2912.97.
    Of course since our problem was too much condensation we have had a mold issue for a long time not due to uncleanliness. If we accept we will need to throw away any jars in the unit so as not to carry the mold to the next unit.
    We purchased the Monogram after having a Sub Zero for 20 years,we read it was more energy efficient.
    Very sorry for this choice.

• 3ilovepie
    9 years ago

Any recent experience with the 42" KA.

• Kathy W
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love reading all these reviews dating back 5 years now. Great insight on other owners issues. We have a 48" GE Mongogram built in which was installed back in january 2003. Worked great for abut 7 years then random issues began to start. Purchased extended service contract to the tune of $500 which helped cover the cost of a new freezer door. Since then we have dropped another $1000+ in miscellaneous repairs. Over the past 2+ years the unit will stop maintaining temp. However, after a day it starts back up so I cancel service call. Issue popped up again this past week but now it will not kick back in - temp at 56 & 24 for 5 straight days. Since I had already talked with a tech about this issue his feeling was that the part that is going out will cost about $500++ plus labor. Decided to check into replacement. Only GE and SZ will fit in my cabinet space. About $2k difference as previsouly stated. Appliance store informed me that these refergierators have a life expectancy of 10-12 for GE and 12-15 (sometimes up to 20) for the SZ. It's painful to think we are paying $1k per year for a refer! We have decided to try SZ this time, but if I had to do it again, I would have remodeled the kitchen with plans for a less expensive refrigerator.

• Beach Dreamer
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have had a GE monogram all refrigerator built in since 2003. Looks awesome. Great capacity. But after maybe 6 years, started having problems with mold and fluid leaks. And almost each of the last 5 years, I have had to put more freon or whatever the high priced refrigerant is to make the refrigerator work. Then starting about 6 years ago, I had rust everywhere, especially down behind the drawers. I even took out the various shelves and drawers and spray painted the inside and the drawers, etc with rustoleum at least every other year....and still more rust everywhere, especially down behind the drawers. I would not get another one unless they have dramatically improved things.

• loves2cook46
    8 years ago

Coming back to this thread 5 years later to say we still love our Miele units and they operate just as well as the day they were installed. No issues whatsoever - haven't even had to replace a lightbulb.

• trp
    8 years ago

I have a 42" SS GE Monogram pro from 2003 like others on this thread. Big time issues after 6 years, mostly regarding the condensation/freezing of freezer. I have put thousands of dollars hoping just one more service call and I will have a unit that can last me a few more years. Nope! The compressor is great-just anything dealing with mother board, thermastat; fan motor etc.. I am just not sure what to replace it with as I hear issues with all pro counter depth brands. If I ever remodel the kitchen I will not use a $$ fridge ever again!

• chazas
    8 years ago

I have in the recent past had both a Subzero and a Kitchenaid 48" built in. I preferred the Kitchenaid. Both had ice and water through the door, but the Kitchenaid didn't clump nearly as often. It was quieter, too. And at a discount price of less than $7000, the Kitchenaid was vastly less expensive.

• malba2366
    8 years ago

If you are referring to sxs fridges I would definitely go for SZ over KA. SZ has dual compressors while KA does not. KA has dual compressors on their french door models. Dual compressors is the biggest difference in food preservation as it keeps the air in the fridge and freezer completely seperate.

• chazas
    8 years ago

As I said, I had both, one right after the other. As a practical matter there was no difference in food preservation results.

• captainrick74718
    8 years ago

My Monogram has been nothing but trouble since I bought it. Repaired 5 times for the same problem. Now it needs repair again. Their service stinks and they do not keep appointments. Buy anything else!

• D Max
    8 years ago

Our repair guy said there was no reason to spend Monogram money on a GE fridge. He said a Profile was just as good and I should put the money toward something else. He quoted some repair cost differences that were pretty compelling. For now our 20 year old Monogram is fine.

• Maggie Adams
    7 years ago

Thanks, gang, for totally confusing me! I have no idea what to do!

• PRO
    Stardust + Gravity
    7 years ago

Don't buy a Sub-Zero. Not worth the money.

• Lindsey Garrett
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Bought a used 36" Built-in (no h20 dispenser) GE Monogram off Craigslist (I know, don't say it...) 12 mos later it does not hold temps, freezer hovering around 20, I have resorted to using a stand alone freezer in the garage. Lesson learned.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Maggie, nine years ago I bought the totally untested Thermador Freedom Series Columns. I picked them over the SubZero because they were the first to lift the interior and get rid of the ventilation panel overhead -- something I really hated about the old built-ins, but it also meant the bottom drawer wasn't nearly on the ground and in the freezer the ice was at a convenient height (had two kids in marching band -- we went through at least 2-3 gallons of ice every day during marcing season. Nine trouble free years later, I have no hesitation recommending Thermador (which includes Bosch, Miele and Gaggenau). And I got one of the first ones -- before the bugs were worked out. SubZero is the other top name for full size built in refrigeration with KA being a not to distant 2nd (but chek the opening of the drawers - required a more than 90 deggree open door back then - don't know if it's better now). For undercounter, it's SubZero, Perlick and maybe Uline.

• Maggie Adams
    7 years ago

Thanks, y'all. We ended up replacing our 42" with a 36" and having a cabinet maker fix the space. I just couldn't bring myself to spend 4 times the money for a 42".

• Norm B
    7 years ago

malba2366 Can you please tell me where you got the information on the dual compressor french door KA. I was told that there is one compressor and dual evaporators. Very interested in this as we need to replace our fridge. Freestanding units are just built like garbage.

Thanks!

• diane allen
    6 years ago

Hi, Everyone! Just found this thread and I am in the same appliance choice dilemma but in 2017. Wondering how all your choices worked out for you? GE Monogram is still offering the same amazing freebie package deal. I currently have a 14 y.o. 42" GE Monogram side by side built in fridge. Worked fine but my gripe was the stupid cylindrical light tower in the back of the fridge from top to bottom which caused space limitations to each shelf. Thank God, GE has redone the lighting to LED after all these years. Was originally going to use KitchenAid 42" Built in, but am being lured in by the appliance package offering of GE. I have Monogram double wall ovens and LOVE THEM! Will be replacing them with new Monogram wall ovens in the remodel.

• trpartlow1
    6 years ago

Hi Allen6170

See my post from above from a year ago. I did end up replacing my GE Monogram with the exact GE Monogram 42" counter depth. Only reason was because GE had a history of all the repairs and substantially worked with me on the cost of a new monogram fridge. I am very appreciative of their offer and pleased with the look of the model. That being said I am not confident that this new fridge will be free from the same condensation/freezing issues. Within this past year I am suspect that it froze up again at least 2x as I observed the unit temperatures rising well above normal (50's) to thaw before the fan motor kicked on.? Honestly I do not know what the outcome will be for this fridge but as I said before if I ever remodel again I will choose a less costly but nice looking, SS fridge and build the cabinet around it instead of investing 10+K on a fridge. Fortuantely, this time I bought an additional 6 years warranty. Good Luck!!!

• diane allen
    6 years ago

Thank you for your comment. Very helpful. I did consider using a standard counter depth French door fridge, but due to the layout of my kitchen appliance wall and how it will be seen from our main living area, I have to use a built in flush fridge. I would not be able to "live" (lol) with seeing 4" of black sides of fridge exposed from the cabinet wall. I'll keep my fingers crossed and take out a good warranty! Attaching photos of "old" existing space before the reno which I hope to start this fall.....House has been a project since we purchased it two years ago. Kitchen/Dining area are next on the Updating Reno list!

• blackandwhitelove
    5 years ago

Reading about frig problems-but noticed your kitchen chairs. Info please. Thank you.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner