Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khuselid_gw

Kitchenaid convection microwave?

khuselid
13 years ago

Hi all,

We are trying to match a microwave to our existing appliances and a new wolf range. The kitchenaid built in convection microwave. with the drop down door, looks best to us in the matching area.

Anyone have experience with this product? We have a very old built in kitchenaid which has been fabulous in every regard. Have heard their newer microwave products might not be as realiable?

Love to hear microwave recommendations!

Thanks, Kim

Comments (9)

• sayde
    13 years ago

Do a search, of course. I seem to remember at least one post that said that the KA convection microwave would stop in order to cool down before letting the user proceed with the next operation. There was one woman who wrote something about her kids crying for dinner while she stood in front of the unit fanning it to try to make it cool down faster so she could use it. The image stuck in my memory. It's in these threads somewhere.

• khuselid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to be so helpful! We have a very old kitchenaid microwave/regular oven combo which has been great. It's 20 years old! That one does have the microwave convection option which we understand this new one doesn't
    We are matching this to a wolf range and kitchenaid DW. We'll be installing it higher than you did! Also don't want to spend the 3000. of other options.

So thanks again. So helpful!!

k

• SadieV
    12 years ago

I'm looking at the Kitchenaid micro/convection combination --- any updates to this? I currently have the GE Advantium and like it a lot, but with a remodel project in my near future, I'm looking for a replacement.

Any comments?

• powertoolpatriot
    12 years ago

Sadie and khuselid,
    If you would like some technical data, email me.

• andee_gw
    12 years ago

Ditto to everything thynes said above. My only complaint is that the turntable rotates when it is used in convection oven mode, and so that limits the size of pan you can use. Otherwise, we love it.

• chas045
    12 years ago

andee: I have this unit in a double oven. I almost always forget, but under 'options' there is a way to turn off the turntable.

But SadieV: as thynes said "Sadly, it is not a true speed oven as it does not combine microwaves with convection cooking". I was really ticked off because I thought I was getting that feature. But it sure bakes like a real oven.

I like the unit because it heats fast and saves energy. Of course, this can tie up the microwave so I have to go to the garage for the backup microwave when the coffee is cold.

• Bella Vita
    6 years ago

Hi thynes1501, thanks so much for your detailed review of your kitchenmaid microwave convection oven. I am wondering now that you have had it for several years if you have had any issues with it and if it is still serving you well? Thx

• chas045
    6 years ago

Well, I'm not thynes and this was a thread from 2011, but as mentioned above, I have the same unit, and unlike thynes, I actually use mine with most functions all the time rather than just for testing. Mine was new in mid 2007. It has not failed nor had any problems. It really can be used as almost a conventional oven except that the convection will be running. I bake single loaves of bread in it all the time and I can bake a good pie or casserole in it. One can get cute and bake a potato for awhile and finish with microwaves in the now plenty hot oven, but as said above is not a speed oven because microwaves can't be used at the same time. And then, you would likely melt some plastic if you expected to immediately use it to microwave leftovers in a plastic tub.

The 'broiler' that thynes mentioned is some kind of ceramic heater and does seem to help with browning over time, but certainly couldn't be used for normal broiling functions.

In any case, it is a great small oven that heats up quickly and therefore very useful, and more used than the large oven, and of course is a regular microwave in all respects but one. As a heated oven, it is walled with stainless rather than plastic and therefore harder to clean.