twoblackdogs_gw

Help on 30" slide in gas range

twoblackdogs
11 years ago

I need to replace my current slide in range. I'm torn between the following:

Electrolux EW30GS75KS
Kenmore Elite 31073
Kitchenaid KGSS907SSS

I've seen a lot of poor reviews on the Kenmore - which spooks me - and I can't find many on the Electrolux. My current range is KA, but I know that KA today is not the same as KA of 20+ years ago.

I'm open to other suggestions as well - just hoping the experts on this forum can help me out!

Comments (5)

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

I believe that the Kenmore is made for Sears by Electrolux/Frigidaire.

Have you considered a 30" NXR (pro-style for $2k, delivered), which can now be had with slide-in trim? Or have you ruled it out because it is only available from Costco on-line and a few other retailers, and it does not have a self-cleaning oven? If the mention of NXR interests you, there are numbers of very detailed threads here. (Also, note that the NXR is a full 30" wide, like some other pro-style stoves, and may be a skoonch too wide for some slide-in cut-outs.

Also, have you considered the GE Cafe all-gas stove which is in the same price range as that Electrolux model? Again, numbers of threads here to help research it if it interests you..

• karenlee56
    11 years ago

I would honestly stay away from any Kenmore range, because I did have a then-high end Kenmore slide in dual fuel range made by Frigidaire, which lasted me 2+ years. Everyone I dealt with regarding that range made it more of a nightmare. Never again would I touch anything Frigidaire and never again would I buy another Kenmore range. I'm sure those negative reviews on that Kenmore range of which you speak are warranted. Just a feeling⦠LOL.

As for an Electrolux range, my sister had one within the past few years that had all of the bells and whistles. She ended up having problems with the oven racks, the burners, and all sorts of other things. She hated it. She was not happy with Electrolux's customer service, either. She ended up selling it when she remodeled her kitchen recently. It couldn't have been any more than two years old.

That being said, I recently purchased a GE Café all gas stainless steel slide in range, model #GCS985SETSS. The model before it, the 980 I believe, had problems with knobs melting and maybe one other minor thing. At any rate, the problems have been taken care of with this model. It is self-cleaning, has cast-iron continuous grates, convection, has the 'griddle in the middle,' and has done a nice job of anything so far that I have thrown its way. I bought this one because I had a 7+ year old GE profile convection range that I absolutely loved and was still working perfectly. I just always wanted to go back into a slide in and I wanted stainless steel, which the other one was not. She is mighty pretty, too. I've gotten lots of compliments on my stainless queen. :)

• yeepat
    10 years ago

I have had the 30" Kitchenaid (free standing Pro duel fuel) Gas range My husband will not allow another in the house. We replaced several parts out of the gate. The bulbs inside the oven blew out all the time. We stopped buying them at 27. each. No help/explanation from customer service. The lowest setting on the range top was so high I needed to buy 2 layers of cast iron for under a pot to simmer things . The door on the oven nearly touches the floor. And it is heavy. I am looking at the Frigidaire. I like the 15/17000 btu burner options. This is the first place I found a bad word on it. But I just started looking at that. Viking is at the top of my husbands list. I get some good feed on it but it is "pricey! Door is very heavy, tends to free fall!!

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

yeepat:

Might want to do some research on that VIking. The only VIking product that seems to get high uniformly high praise here is the induction range. That runs around $7k, so very "pricey,." indeed.

While the majority of Viking range owners are probably fine, a significant portion of Viking products have serious quality control problems and defects. A significantly higher than average defect rate combined with poor quality of service and support leads to large numbers of bitter complaints here and elswhere. Now that Viking has been acquired by Middleby group, this may or may not change.

Apart from that, Viking stoves pose enough of a budgetary challenge that you and your husband should read through the Viking threads here before pursuing a Viking stove. If you want a "pro-style stove", consider the Blue Star RCS and or American Range (expensive, but between the Viking D3 line and its Pro line in price) or the NXR 30" model I mentioned above ($2k from Costco and other vendors).

According to the data from Consumer Report's annual membership surveys, Kitchenaid gas and dual fuel stoves have a 16% defect rate. This is nearly double the rest of the industry. (CR used to include VIking, but apparently the CR members are no longer buying enough Vikings to provide CR with statistically meaningful sample on that brand). Frigidaire is reported as having a 9% defect rate and the industry leder, GE/Hotpoint is 7%. CR says a difference of 3 points or less is not meaningful.

The thing to check on is the availability and quality of service if you do have a problem. Bad and slow warranty service converts a disappointed consumer into a very angry one.

• yeepat
    10 years ago

Thanks JW,
    I am thrilled to get advice. Sorry, to twoblack, for cutting into her thread.
    I have since seen some of the Viking horror stories. I can not tolerate bad CS. I am not throwing good money to bad. I will keep up the hunt. The recent Northeast storm,(who's name shall not be mentioned here) has forced us to down-size our living space. I wish I could go range top and wall oven :(