Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mauviel M'360 cookware (crossposted from cookware forum)

Posted by jsceva (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 11:51

Mauviel has a relatively new line called M'360 which is officially available in Europe and Australia, but not in North America...but pieces are showing up at some retailers and on ebay (for example, MyHabit.com has a cookware sale ending in a half hour with three M'360 pieces available).

The information on the foreign websites is pretty vague on the construction. Lots of talk about the design, which is a little harder edged/modern than most Mauviel, but not about the actual materials. All it says is "magnetic and 18/10 stainless steel, thickness 1.5mm / 2mm frypans." The line appears to be a little cheaper than 5-ply M'cook, but significantly more expensive that M'Basic (which is listed as "sandwich bottom stainless steel").

I called MauvielUSA (twice) and haven't gotten any real information yet. Anyone out there actually know anything? am irrationally hoping that this line might actually be comparable to the old induc'inox pieces everyone loves so much...but there is no way to tell from the description. Is the M'360 straight gauge magnetic stainless, disc bottom, or clad? If disc bottom or clad, what materials exactly are involved? Has anybody actually used it, especially on induction, and if so what are your opinions?

Any thoughts/info would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mauviel M'360 cookware (crossposted from cookware forum)

jsceva,

I had all the same questions about M'Cook when I started replacing my cookware as I too was very excited about Mauviel.

I remember researching it "to death". Unfortunately, it all happened "BC" and 3 years of sleep deprivation did a number on my memory, so I cannot remember any details. :-(

But in the end, I decided that it was not "worth the trouble and/or the expense", so got All Clad pots and sauce pans and "splurged" on a Demeyere fry pan (in addition to the cast iron pieces I had already had).

I know that this will not answer your questions but just FYI.

o

From what I read, I think the 360 series are just brushed, magnetic stainless, with glass lids. No aluminum. No disc bottom. More like Debuyer carbon pans only in stainless.

Maybe just the ticket for induction, but not so great with gas.

Should make an attractive and easy to clean set of induction pans, especially sauce pans. However, I'm not a big fan of cleaning stainless when used at high heat- where food or grease/oil might burn onto the pan, like fry pans for example. I'd much prefer cast-iron for that application, like an old Griswold skillet.

The other thing(s) that's hard to clean from a stainless surface are dairy items-eggs,cream sauces,cheese sauces, chocolate milk-etc.

o

I just noticed ruelaladotcom has mauvel pieces right now but not sure if the price is great or not (debuyer too).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here