Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mominator61

Refrigerator WITHOUT ice maker, counter depth

mominator61
11 years ago

Hi All,

It seems I am asking too much...I need a counter depth refrigerator (and French door/bottom freezer) for clearance reasons, and do NOT WANT an ice maker or water dispenser!

Does anyone know if such a refrigerator exists??

It's so frustrating...I wish manufacturers would dump all the useless gadgets and bells and whistles and just focus on keeping the food cold....

Comments (21)

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

just goggle aj madison and go to their site and search counter depth refrigerators. I seem to recall a few without water or ice maker. I know Fisher Paykel makes CD without.

• mominator61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, thanks SparklingWater, I'll check that out!

• mominator61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks AnnaA.

I looked on AJ Madison and saw the Fisher Paykel (SparklingWater mentioned) and it's only 17 cu ft, so too small.

I currently have a refrigerator that I like very much, it's a single door, bottom freezer, but my KD highly recommends getting a counter depth refrigerator for our kitchen remodel.

Truth is, I don't like or want a French door refrigerator. I have "French doors" to our bedroom closet and just dumped "French doors" to my old pantry (now torn out) and I've had it with having to open two doors every time I want something. I really, really like my single door refrigerator, which is only 1 year old. Open one door....everything is visible and easy to reach, and no issues opening internal drawers.

The problem is, my door will just barely clear the island I am installing by 3/4". My solution is - so what, I swing open the door first, then stand in front of the food to get what I need. Maybe we'll just see how it works after the remodel...and then decide.

I wonder if they make a counter depth, single door...have to go check that out....didn't look for that one yet.
    We will not put water hookups where our fridge will be in the remodeled kitchen. We have no interest in ice makers or water dispensers.

Thanks for your input!

• Spottythecat
    11 years ago

I think Sub Zero does something like that...if not counter depth, but definitely one you can build into your cabinetry.

• mominator61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thx Spottythecat, SubZ is probably out of my price range...

• building_a_house
    11 years ago

I think this is one of the best CDs for the money. Has an icemaker in the freezer but not the door. I just bought one but haven't had it delivered yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrolux Icon Counter Depth

• oasisowner
    11 years ago

Fisher Paykel also makes a single door, bottom freezer, no icemaker, no water dispenser fridge. It is only 17.6 cu ft, but we are going to try it and put the old, huge monster fridge in the garage.

• mominator61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Building_A_House, that does seem to be the consensus about the Electrolux...a lot of nice features for your money. The older models have scary reviews, I hope these newer models are improved - I would assume so. I'm checking them out.
    I ordered the Electrolux Slide In Induction Range with Double Ovens, but haven't picked it up yet since we are still waiting on cabinets...some scary reviews on that as well! Crossing my fingers....

• mominator61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oasisowner, that's a workable solution for you, best wishes on that configuration. I like that the FP has no ice maker or water. Our kitchen is upstairs, and the 'extra' fridge will have to go downstairs, so with only 17cf...I'd be running up and down the stairs too much! It's already so annoying having the kitchen (and living area) upstairs...(who would do that?!)...oh yeah...we did...!
    Next house/next life....ONE story house.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Double check your KD's design. There are ways to build in a standard depth refrigerator so that you have extra counter space. Your choices will be more, and cheaper if you do that. (And have more storage space.)

You should post your design on the Kitchen Forum for feedback.

• mominator61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi GreenDesigns,

It's true, we could cut into the wall where the refrigerator will be and recess it. I think we're done cutting, though...

I just talked to my sister who HATES her counter depth refrigerator because they can't fit large items in it. Fortunately, they have another refrigerator for large items. I will also have an extra refrigerator in another location, so am hoping I won't "hate" my new counter depth fridge. I've just ordered the 23 cu ft Electrolux.

Still time to change my mind, though. Thx for your input.

• jmarie310
    11 years ago

We needed a CD fridge and went with the Electrolux CD, no ice maker/water in the door. We chose this one only because it fit our depth needs and it did not just have a basket for the freezer. We had to look at a floor model to make the final decision. We are very happy with it. Go to the Electrolux site and view the different counter depth models.

• mominator61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Jmarie310,

Yes, I just ordered the 23 cu ft ("22.6" to be exact) Electrolux Counter Depth Refrigerator, no ice maker/water in the door, and it only has the ice maker in the freezer, which we will not hook up, and I will remove the ice bin. I'm glad you got to see it on the floor before purchasing, I'm shopping online! So how long have you had it? I'm relieved to know you like it! I purchased the extra warranty/service contract....never in my life have I purchased these until now, with the Electrolux induction range and this Electrolux refrigerator.

• gbsim1
    11 years ago

We didn't hook up our sub-zero and use the ice bucket for storing food.

SZ no longer offers a no ice maker unit (at least not in my model), we have a freezer drawer with ice maker in our bar area and didn't want to run another r/o line for another in the main fridge.

• jmarie310
    11 years ago

Mominator61:

We have had the Electrolux for about 1 month and we are very pleased. It has plenty of room for us and is quiet. This is our first french door model and it was difficult to judge the amount of space, but it clearly has more than enough for the two of us. It is bright inside and you can instantly see everything on the selves. We kept the ice tray in the freezer, its handy for holding little things and is a good place to put glasses when you want a frosty glass. We also like the frozen pizza slot in the door of the freezer. Overall it has a good design. and looks nice flush with our pantries. In our small kitchen it gave us the walking room we needed. I am confident you will like it.

• Barbarav
    10 years ago

jmarie and mominator (hope you're still around), what models did you buy?

• agk2003
    10 years ago

also for those that purchased the electrolux icon, did you get the trim kit w/louvers that's supposed to make it look like a built in?

• mominator61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Barbarav, yes, I am still around! The model I bought is Electrolux E123BC30KS.

• Bree2
    8 years ago

Can the Electrolux E123BC30KS doors be covered with cabinet-like panels?

• HU-47267966
    last year

Yes, I just bought one Frigidaire 18.8 Cu Ft Model FRSG1915AV $1420

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living