Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Proud Owner of Hand Can Opener!

We had a power outage just as I was preparing dinner. In the dark, I lit some candles. We pondered what to eat, and since you don't need electricity for propane, we went with grilled buns and grilled dogs. We wanted to open a can for chili. Electric opener won't work, and I tossed my hand opener years ago!

So, I now have a hand can opener arriving next week, thanks to Amazon!

I just want to remind all of you to have back up. Dogs without chili just don't taste as good!

Suzi

Comments (10)

• tjmwine
    10 years ago

Best thing about a hand held can opener is that is easy to clean just put it in the dishwasher. FYI one of the first things a health inspector dose when he goes into a restaurant is to check the can opener.

• gigelus2k13
    10 years ago

What about the ones that cut through the side of the seam? Mine never touches the content of the can and remains sharp after more than 10 years of use.

I guess that there should be commercial-sized ones as well, so one less thing the health inspector to grasp for.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

I got tired of cleaning the electric can opener years ago, it totally grossed me out, haven't owned one for about 20 years! I don't use very much in the way of canned goods and the hand opener works just fine for me. Mine is an OXO that cuts through the side, I just toss it in the DW when it gets dirty.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now that you mention it, the electric can openers are gross! I always wonder what bacteria is on there when I use it. You have inspired me to soak that little opening blade in peroxide daily!

We have had many power outages here at our new home. I think it's because it's in the mountains, and there is a lot of thunderstorm type weather all year.

Thank God for propane BBQ's and hand can openers!!

Suzi

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

I have used a manual can opener since going to college in 1970. The blade gets washed after every use. Ours is a Swing-Away. It has lasted forever (20+ years).

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

Have a couple of Swing Aways I've used for years. Actually says "Made in the USA" on them. There's an electric can opener in the basement storage room somewhere collecting dust.

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

I love my hand can opener and don't even own an electric. I rinse it off after every use. It's the OXO type. Sometimes I lament not having an electric one when opening a lot of cans such as for a giant pot of chili but otherwise I never look back.

• carree
    10 years ago

I'm totally with gr8day on this. I just redid my kitchen and denied myself nothing...I was living my dream and enjoy it every day with fancy designer appliances. And yes, am still hand cranking the can opener. Works for me. And I never thought of tossing it in the dish washer...how clever! Thanks for suggestion.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I got rid of the electric can opener about ten years ago. I have never had much counter space to spare and I figured person powered was better for the environment anyway. I wash the tops of cans before opening them and rinse my can opener off with hot water after each use--will have to do the dishwasher as that's better!

• fillmoe
    10 years ago

Received an electric can opener for a wedding shower gift 44(!) years ago. Donated it after about 6 months and never felt the need for another. Clutter.