Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
10" vs 18" range hood height

Posted by tm0ngweb (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 11:34

Air-King makes a SS range hood that is 24" deep by 36" wide, and comes in either an 18" high model (height of the hood canopy top to bottom), or a 10" high model. The 18" model number is P1836 and the 10" is P1036.

Most if not all of the GW discussion is about horizontal dimension (capture area) relative to the cooktop, and how high above the cooktop the hood is mounted. But what about the vertical dimension of the canopy itself? The baffle filters for both models are recessed into the canopy the same distance, so the extra space in the 18" model is between the filters and the duct - thus no added funneling effect that I can see. These two models are priced within $50 of each other so not much advantage either way there either.

Other than appearance, I can't think of any benefit to an 18" model over the 10" given identical horizontal dimensions, blower capacity, and duct size. But ... others are more experienced/knowledgeable than I, so wondering if there are any opinions.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 10" vs 18" range hood height

BTW - did find another thread (see link) showing a 10" high hood with 900 CFM blower during installation - shows the duct work exposed etc. The posting mentioned that the slimmer hood profile did not inhibit the CFM output, duct size being adequate and all that. So I'm thinking it's a non issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hood venting for low ceiling kitchen?

o
RE: 10" vs 18" range hood height

If a greater hood height allows more volume below the baffles and still provides good path clearance above the baffles to the duct, then there is a potential capture advantage at lower cfm rates. If the volume below the baffles is the same in each unit, and the baffles are the same, and the space above the baffles is adequate for the flow, then it is an aesthetic issue. One wonders, however, why eight-inches of extra stainless steel only costs $50 more.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here