Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alroco_gw

Installing dishwasher, question about power cord

alroco
10 years ago

My 4-year old dishwasher recently flooded my kitchen and didn't really work well before that so we just threw it out and purchased a new Whirlpool Gold dishwasher. The old dishwasher was installed just before we bought the house by the previous owners, and when we removed it, we noticed it was not connected to power via an outlet and cord, but rather simply connected to wires that went inside the wall, white to white, black to black and the green to the ground screw. We didn't think that was strange or problematic until we got the new washer, and it came with a power cord which will need to plug into an outlet.

I'm wondering, does the dishwasher NEED to be hooked up to that cord, which will plug into an outlet (which we will then need to have put in), or is it okay to simply hook it up the way it was before, directly connecting white to white, black to black and the green to the ground screw. I don't want to do this if it is an electrical/fire hazard, but I don't want to do/pay for extra work if installing an outlet is not actually necessary.

Hopefully I explained this well enough... I know very little about this stuff! Thanks for any responses!

Comments (7)