Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill314_gw

When are refrigerator models discontinued/clearanced?

jill314
10 years ago

Hi all - I am browsing refrigerators for when we renovate our kitchen (hoping to do it this summer or fall). I found what seems to be a good refrigerator for us on the Sears site, listed as "hot buy" at 36% off. Under the product description it says it was listed in October 2010, so I'm thinking, it's a few years old and maybe they are discontinuing it & clearing it out. If that is the case we should maybe go ahead and buy now...? Thoughts?

Comments (6)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Just provide a link for a better answer.

• laundryvet
    10 years ago

Like car manufacturers most appliance manufacturers launch products in summer, some occur just after new year. A plant shutdown usually facilitates a major retooling of the assembly line or the installation of equipment.

That said, retailers are generally 90-120 days behind the manufacturing curve, so a clearance in October may very well be a model last made in June or July.

• llaatt22
    10 years ago

Run.

• jill314
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Run" as in, go buy it RIGHT NOW? :)

The particular refrigerator in question is a Kenmore. If it was first listed in October then that would line up with starting production in the summer, in which case (if they always introduce products on that time-frame), this isn't necessarily a discontinued model yet.

If anyone has other refrigerators to suggest that fit my wish list, I'd be happy to hear them. My wish list is:
    *no more than $1200-$1300 (before tax)
    *bottom freezer
    *white
    *no through-the-door ice/water dispensers
    *ice maker
    *capacity at least 20 ft^2, the bigger the better since we are a family of 6

Here is a link that might be useful: Sale Refrigerator

• jill314
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha, that should be ft^3 in the capacity, not ft^2. Sorry about that.

• NWRain-Gal
    10 years ago

Hi jill314,

We have a 2009 Kenmore Elite bottom drawer freezer in white. It is 30 inch wide, I believe 19cf capacity. We had to buy the 30 inch wide because that was the only width we could fit into our existing cabinets. (prior to kitchen remodel). It came in bigger sizes too, I think it was a 33 inch or 36inch. It has a freezer drawer that rolls out instead of swing door, we like that. At the time the Sears guy said that it was made by Amana, but carried the Kenmore name. I think we paid approx $900 for it.

We have been very, very happy with it all these 5 years. I love the roll out freezer door, and it has a very user friendly fresh food interior. I like the bottom full width drawer in the fresh food section, fits pies, pizza, platters and such. It runs quietly and isn't anoying. The only gripe I have is that the gallon milk slot in the door can't hold many tall things. I believe they have improved on this design since ours was made.

We are just finishing up a total kitchen remodel and we are keeping our fridge even though the new fridge space could accommodate one 36 inches wide. We love our fridge and hope that it will continue to serve us well for many more years. If the new Kenmore Elite fridges perform like ours, I wouldn't hesitate to buying one again.

P.S. Fridge is still in DR waiting to be moved into new fridge space. :)