Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ziggyziggy_gw

36 inch Induction cooktop recommendations

ziggyziggy
10 years ago

I am closing on a new house in a few weeks and will be bringing in contractors to redo the kitchen. Now we have to decide on the appliances we want. So excited, nervous, but happy all at the same time.

My wife and I really likes the concept of induction cooking. We are definitely getting an induction cooktop unless someone can provide a great reason not to, besides price.

According the early research on Amazon, it appears the GE Profile cooktop has the best reviews. We are willing to explore luxury brands as well but don;t want to buy something just for the name and spend twice as much money. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• dodge59
    10 years ago

Folks here seem to like the Mieles and the Bosches because of the real timers, they actually turn off the hob when the timers time out.

We had a fancy , (non induction) cooktop that had timers and bridged elements~~~~we never used it, wife said too many buttons to push!

Bosch has a new induction cooktop with "Bridged Hobs", those are useful for really large pots/pans maybe a small griddle.

So you need to figure out how you want to use the cooktop, types of pots/pans or whatever, and do you need real timers?

I replaced that fancy non-induction cook top with an Electrolux Icon Induction cooktop and could not be happier, we just not into all that "fancy stuff".

Except for the GE Induction range, we have not see many folks purchase GE induction here in GW.

Mostly we see, Miele, Bosch, a few Thermadors.

Gary

• kristianco
    10 years ago

I had a Monogram which is the same unit with the exception of not having a pan size sensor (which I don't truly get since its not like the "burner" gets hot). We were really happy with it from a performance standpoint. It, and induction all together, lived up to the hype. It was as fast as i had hoped, and it offered all of the control i was expecting. I had three nits though:

1) Cleaning our unit's controls would often cause the controls to beep and read "error". This happend even if the cooktop was locked. It was never a big deal, but it kinda annoyed my wife.

2) The user interface isn't as slick as some other units with a slide type control. Going from low to high means you have to put your finger on it and let it climb 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 etc all the way to 10 (I know, first world problems right?). Some units now have a slide bar that works like an iPad.

3) We somehow got a scratch on the glass after only 6 months. It didn't affect performance, and neither my wife or I remember doing it. In the long run it wasn't a big deal either since it was just cosmetic.

If I was going to rate it, it would easily be a 9 out of 10, and like I say, those were nits and nothing serious. I liked the fact that General Electric made the unit since they have a lot of experience making high voltage electric devices--I trust them more than some more "appliance-focused" companies who might not have as much experience in that neighborhood (personal opinion there though). We lost our house in a wildfire last summer or I wouldn't be talking about the stove in the past tense. This go around, we are doing a Thermador instead because we are going with a full package, but we considered doing GE again too.

Good luck with your decision!

• ziggyziggy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So...Boschs are the overall favorites? How is reliability on these suckers?

• rentaltux
    10 years ago

I have a Gaggenau which we like. It has been going strong for 18 months. I do believe Gaggenau and Bosch are kinda the same although my Gagg is controlled with a removable magnetic knob which I like but did take some getting used to. It is nice to pull it off for cleaning. I have tried touch versions of Bosch, Miele and Thermador and I have a heck of a time making them work. They refuse to recognize my fingers.
    R

• mboston_gw
    10 years ago

My GE Profile is a few months shy of 2 years old and I love it. I really didn't understand the concept of induction when we first started looking but my husband had read about it. We could only find a few models to look at here locally and we narrowed it down to GE because the ovens in the other brands had the "Aqua Lift Technolodgy " for cleaning (steam, basically) and it just didn't sound like it would do a good job, which is what we have since found out it is true.

I love the cooktop. I had not had a smooth top surface before so I was a littl scared that it would scratch but it hasn't and I love the fact that the "eyes" turn off when the pots are removed after a few seconds. As I get older, I was fearful of leaving one on and causing a fire. The time delay isn't short enough that if you lift a pan to stir or pour off liquid that you have to start it again but once the pot is removed for good, you know it will go off.

The only negative is that I am not sure about the oven temp. settiing. After I used the self clean cycle a second time, I noticed that my cakes, cookies were browning very quickly. I think the oven continues to get hotter once it comes to the temp I set it at. So far, I have adapted by lowering the temp by 25 degrees and just setting the timer about 10 minutes less and checking. I do need to have it checked out though. It was something that I had read about in some reviews.

Whatever you do, register your appliances and you will get an additional 3 months on your warranty. Every little bit helps, esp. if you do not buy extended warranties. I suggest staying away from Samsung fridges, from experience.