Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going from slide-in range to freestanding?

Posted by oasisowner (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 11:02

We have finally decided to switch from electric to gas. I want all four burners to have the same btu's. We are on a budget - definitely under $2k, preferably around $1K.

The ranges I like best are all freestanding. I know we can cut the countertop at the back, but I am worried about the sides. The current range top overlaps the counters on each side. Will I have a gap with the freestanding? Will it be at the same height?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going from slide-in range to freestanding?

The only way to know for sure is to measure the opening, and measure potential ranges.

I replaced a slide-in with a free standing in my previous home with no problems (aside from removing that back piece of counter). The opening was just a bit larger than 30", so the side gaps were negligible.

o

It should be the same size, but not all slide-ins are the same. If the slide-in was made in the 1950s-late 1970s, you might find some unusual dimensions. The more recent ranges are usually standard sizes.

o

Thanks, ours is a 30" newer Jenn-air, so I guess we should be OK.

We found a good deal on a Kenmore Elite 5 burner gas range, but I am disenchanted with all Sears products right now (after problems with two washers).

o

I replaced a slide in with a free standing last month. To do so, I had to have someone cut the granite on both sides of the stove. I was very apprehensive, especially since a bunch of granite fabricators wouldn't take the job worried that the granite would crack. We found a great guy from Angie's list who did a very nice job, contained the mess and there were no damages. The gap is hardly noticeable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here