Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sholt576

GW applicance favorites

sholt576
16 years ago

Have you noticed that certain forums seem to have items that are the forum favorites? I've just been perusing the appliance forums for a short while, and I'm trying to determine some of the favorites.

For example, meile dishwashers seem to be the posterchild dishwasher.

Gas ranges- well, there's alot of passion involved in gas ranges. I hesitate to even name my perceived GW favorite. (Wolf, no wait, Bluestar, no wait, CR said....)

Induction cooktops...everyone seems happy with what they have. How can that be possible?

Refrigerators- the price range is so amazing that it seems a bit hard to come up with a favorite. Maybe Subzero for the sky is the limit option and kitchenaid for the need to keep a roof on my house limit option.

Microwaves- well I don't really read any microwave threads since I've never loved an appliance as much as my whirlpool velos. My dream is that I could love my other appliances nearly as much (which is why I'm thinking of setting my sights on a miele dw, any induction cooktop, and a fridge that will allow me to still make my mortgage payments.)

What are your percieved GW favorites? And, is this thread likely to cause a fight? I've noticed quite a bit of passion when it comes to appliances? (Who would have thought? Its almost like mentioning snot on a parenting board.)

Comments (16)

• cantmakeadecision
    16 years ago

GREAT question....I'll anxiously await responses as I'm getting ready to order a full kitchen of appliances!!

• gatorguy
    16 years ago

You forgot to mention ovens, and I think miele tops the list here. Of course I'm biased as I went with the miele double ovens after reading through much of the threads here. I think your right on with the ranges and the DW. As to the fridge another popular one that keeps coming up is the thermador columns.

• laney50w
    16 years ago

Hi sammi2,

hehe, I'm sure there will be many posts here, regarding this topic....

I've been in the appliance biz for almost 25 years, and I gotta say, Induction is simply AMAZING! Induction is a great cooking medium! Probably, the best out there. It's the most efficient means of cooking, (by far) and can be controlled (in most cases) better than a gas flame. I hold demonstrations daily on our WOLF Induction Cooktop.

I'll tell ya', once you show it to a customer, they HAVE TO HAVE ONE! :) I don't even have to talk during the demonstrations...people are amazed at what they can do with induction cooktops!

Like everything else out there, every cooking medium has it's place. Some gas ranges are awesome (Blue Star for example) others are a lot of hype (even the big names).

Even electric ranges have their place....For example, Frigidaire Professional ranges have very good cooktop technology. Some of the best in the business. Very good controllability, very similar to gas. Maybe not exactly like gas, but pretty darn close. And if you're someone who just doesn't have gas in their area, many electric ranges are very good these days.

The new Whirlpool Velos SpeedCook oven is incredible! It goes over the range, and it is a multi-cooking unit. Bake, broil, roast, steam, convection, microwave, or speedcook anything you like....3 TIMES FASTER than your oven!

That's pretty cool to me!!! :)

I also like Blue Star ranges, but I'm also very much into Electrolux line of appliances. Which our store also has on display. And they sell like crazy!

However, I own all Maytag appliances in my own kitchen, and am VERY happy with them, as well. Have never had a problem in the 5 years I've owned them.

Even though I do not have gas in my house, my Maytag Gemini electric range is wonderful.

Funny, my wife used to be a Chef, (I do all the cooking) we really like our range... You just get used to cooking on electric, and once you do, everything is cool!

Take care!

Chris

• beachcomber3
    16 years ago

Chris,
    I have been looking at the Electrolux double wall ovens. I have been told that there is a new Electrolux oven with a larger oven capacity and flat hidden bake element. I was also told that the Icon will be revamped with similar features later this year. My question is do we go with the new Electrolux or get the Icon? I am unable to wait until the fall for the new Icon. We are also considering the Kitchen Aid Architect II. To add to our confusion, we met another couple "shopping" and they were telling us all about the Bosch 800 double ovens. I am not sure I like the amber lighting display. I would like to know what you think about the above choices. Thanks!
    Tina

• Sherrie Lagasse Frisone
    16 years ago

Appliances....who would have thought I would spend so many waking (and many when I should be sleeping) trying to figure this out. We have decided (I think) to go with GE Monogram as I can use a discount program a family member has to get the 48" fridge with water (custom panels) the 48" cooktop with grill and griddle, hood insert, dishwasher with zenon lighting (very cool) wine fridge, 30 inch double ovens ( think thats it) for $14,800. I went yesterday (just to be sure) to the local appliance store because I also am concerned with service with GE and priced the Subzero (I really don't even like it) the 48" vegetable bins are so low you would need to kneel to look in there (visions of vegetables that no longer look like vegetables by the time they are found)...just not practical at least to me but anyway and the wolf cooktop, miele ovens and top of the line Bosch dishwasher and the hood insert for over $21,000.00. I can't justify the difference. Any nightmares with the GE Monogram? (Please don't tell me)--just kidding sort of....

• dlspellman
    16 years ago

Without a doubt, my favorite appliance in all my kitchen is my GE Advantium 120 oven! It's a workhorse- I love it's versatility! Microwave, Convection oven, and warming drawer all in one!!! For real - it does a great job at all three.... Love it!

Also love my Miele Dishwasher with the cutlery tray and my GE Induction cooktop....

Oh, and if you want to blow the budget - I'm also very happy with my pair of Thermador Freedom Columns!!!

All were installed in December - so far, no problems. Although I am concerned about my regular convection oven....I'm in a wait and see on that one (GE Profile).

I agonized on every single appliance decision and spent hours (make that weeks) on Garden Web. A BIG Thank you to all that have posted here over the years... it was so helpful. Without this site, I would not have had ALL the info to make good informed decisions for what was right for us. Because what I found in the end was,thanks to all of you, I knew more than many of the sales people. Especially when it came to the pros and cons, availability or lack there of, etc. on features of various brands, etc. And frequently, I found that I was educating them! Again, a big thank you to all GW contributors. And for those of you new....KEEP READING .... it will save you lots of aggravation as you shop for just the right appliance for YOU!

• rhome410
    16 years ago

It'll be interesting to see if how we perceive the forum's favorites is influenced by our own.

This is how I see the forum preferences, but I can't pick just one per category:

Ranges: BlueStar, Wolf, and, for the exceptional case, LaCanche (I have a Wolf rangetop) DCS, Capital, and Monogram for sealed burners.

Ovens: Miele. Gagg seems highly esteemed though not too often purchased. F&P for a more affordable option (I have the F&P) The GE Monogram ran right up there until some recent negative posts.

Fridges: It seems like a lot of people go for KA, although LiebHerr and the Thermador Freedom Columns get positive marks, and more people seem to have SZ than I ever would have thought. (I have Electrolux all fridges and all freezer)

Dishwashers: Miele is definitely running at the top. Bosch, F&P drawers, and KA (drawers and other) seem to be pretty popular. (I have Bosch)

Vents: VentAHood seems to be the favorite here. (Mine is Electrolux)

Induction gets a lot of positive attention, as I think it deserves...Although it's not what I ended up with.

There has been no mention yet (unless my quick reading missed it) of warming drawers and the once always-talked-about Gagg Convection-steam oven. Ice makers, refrigerator drawers, and beverage fridges are discussed a lot, too. All of this list are things I was once tempted to 'need' by reading here, but regained my practicality and realistic view of my budget and am surviving quite fine without. ;-D However, I do think this is the best place to ask questions and learn about appliances. Unlike CR, you hear real-kitchen experiences about every appliance brand. I would have had a hard time making the decisions I did, or, at least, feeling as confident about them, without the great info I've read here.

• housecrazy1970
    16 years ago

well my range choice was simple, my buddy purchased a 48" thermadore all gas 6 burner with griddle. He didnt know ther eis no conversion kit for LP. The place he got it from in NYC did not take returns on special orders. The oven lists for $9000. and I got it for 5K. Next up is my and GW's perenial fav SZ (48" W ice & water in door) Miele dishwasher, and advantium 240 monogram. Now I gotta say I would have chosen a GW fav bluestar if not for the deal.
    I have made some grat house decisions because of this forum. I just got my Ticor sinks in a few days ago and I am impressed. My granite fabricater said to buy one of his for $100 because all th echeao sinks are the same. After seeing his then seeing the Ticor I am glad I did ot listen. The Ticor apears everybit as good as the big dollar sinks.......... Thanks GW

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

This is a great thread and I hope people will start adding to it now that I am bumping it up. I have no favorites yet as I am new and one of those people looking for answers!

• coloradoad
    15 years ago

Great discussion and we are trying to get some feedback on the Wolf steam counter unit as we love them but have not heard much about them on the GW threads. We are doing a major kitchen remodel and have set our sites on the Asko dishwasher for its water savings and quietness, anybody have thoughts on it as we found the new Bosch model ranks not very stable so went with the Asko over the Miele. Thoughts? We love the GE Advantium speedcook models but the noise level of the 240 is a real bummer in demonstations we have been to and its inability to hold a 9"x13" baking dish. Going with the Miele perfect clean single oven and strugging with the CD refrigerator decision. Any help would be great with any ideas.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Coloradoad, regarding the GE Advantium, have you looked at the ZSC1001KSS? It is actually quieter and can hold a 9 x 13 pan. Check out the link below. We almost went with that when we were going to get a single oven and that as a back up oven. Now we are going with a DBL oven so couldn't justify getting all the bells and whistles for a MW, but people seem to love this!

We are going with the Miele Advantium DW, mostly from the recommendation of the salespeople and this Forum.

I am sure you saw my thread about the CD fridges, so I am going through the same dilemna, but am getting closer now that I see they aren't as deep as I originally feared.

Good luck, it's not easy!

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Advantium

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

Mominthedubc

Sorry to get off topic and I will not say any more about this in this thread but the Miele ADVANTA DW does not have the same type of drying system as all the rest of the models. It has no fan like the other models. If you go up one model you can get the fan assisted drying(called clean Air in North America and Turbo Thermic everywhere else) which may be better for plastics.

• coloradoad
    15 years ago

Thanks mominthedubc, we will check out the website you recommend on the Advantium. Which CD frig are you leaning toward? Have you hear of the Liebherr new 36" CD model? We felt the Miele and Asko DW were a toss up for us but following our gut and going with the Asko as we think the price point is about the same. I have enjoy your thoughts as we are almost overwhelmed with all of this just like you. We at least selected a contractor today for our remodeling so we are all most full steam ahead now.

Chuck

• coloradoad
    15 years ago

Jerrod6, What do you know about the Asko DW with regard to the drying system we understand the model we are looking at the D3251XLFI has the fan drying system which you suggest is the best way to go correct?

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Coloradoad (Chuck), The good thing about GW, besides all of the good advice, is that we find out we are not alone in our confusion! I checked out the Liebherr but I am looking for ice and water in the door and from what I see, they don't have that feature. The depth is good though. Thanks!

Jerrrod6, thanks for the info but we are getting the Optima.
    I mixed up the DW words when I was talking about the Advantium MW. Ugh, my mind is getting so mixed up!

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

coloradoad

I know some of the Asko's have fan drying but I have no experience with how their system works(each company usually uses different techniques) so it's best I don't comment on it. Maybe start a thread in the forum with your specific question and folks with Asko's will see it and help.