Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caitlinmagner

Any thoughts about the Electrolux warming drawer?

caitlinmagner
11 years ago

I'm thinking of getting it, or the Kitchen Aid. Anyone have any thoughts about these (or any other)?

Comments (2)

• maks_2000
    11 years ago

I've had the Kitchen Aid 30 inch for 3 years & am very happy with it. I especially like that KA added 2 additional temperature settings that enable slow cooking. I love this since it lets me use my casserole dishes & I don't have have a separate appliance sitting on the counter or have to store a Crock Pot. This is the 1st warming drawer I have owned so I don't have anything to compare it to but the KA also has a vent to allow "Dry" warming or "Moist" warming. It seems to warm up quickly I usually do not pre-warm before placing food in the drawer (a friend w/ a Samsung recently expressed concern his didn't warm up quickly enough to keep pancakes hot without a pre-warming period -- since that has not been a concern for us I can't say the KA is slow or fast.).

I did not look at the Electrolux so cannot specifically compare KA with E-lux, but if you have specific pans, bowls, or pots (w/ lid) you want to use in the drawer you may want to measure or carry to the dealer. One woman here on GW commented she took the bowl she proofed her bread dough in around to all the warming drawers she was considering since that was the primary purpose for purchasing a WD. I have one or 2 larger pots that I put foil on instead of using the lid because the lid makes the pot too high.

Three years ago when we remodeled & purchased the drawer KA only made a 30 inch (not sure if a 36" now). I placed my WD under my cooktop & scoop drawer since I can take food up easily, place in serving bowl, cover & place in WD. I have a 36" KA gas cooktop & scoop drawer -- narrow drawer for utencils -- so the 30" WD looked a little odd under the 36" drawer & cooktop. My cabinet maker added panels on either side of the WD & it looks much better. There are also times I think I could use the additional space from a 36" WD, but with the slow cooking function I am very happy.

Good luck!

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Hi Kitten. I commented on my paneled 30" KA WD on your thread from last month. I'll link it below.

I've been using mine about 2-3 times per week lately, although I go through times when I use it more often. We use it just about every weekend for breakfast.

When I was looking for one last minute on ebay and appliance clearance places (made the decision to buy one when cabs were almost ready for install), I knew I wanted one with the moist/dry function and one that was panel ready. I was intrigued by the slow cook ability of the KA so when an ebay deal popped up one, I went for it. I still haven't used it as a slow cooker yet, but am intrigued. I use the moist/dry function all the time. Holding crisp items like parsnip fries and waffles with it set to "dry" makes all the difference.

Mine is under my Wolf ovens just above the floor. This is the so-called forbidden spot as it's more difficult to use, but it was the only spot I could use at the time I bought mine without completely re-working cabs that were already built.

P.S. Most warming drawers are about the same. There's no magic technology that makes one better than another. I think Plllog described them as "a metal box that gets warm" or something like that. I do, however, recommend the moist/dry function, which not all models have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your thread from last month with my other comments