Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooking on a electric stove

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 10:49

I love to cook and also can produce every year so the stove is very important to me. Many of the houses we are looking at have only electric available and I am concerned about this.

My only experience with electric stoves is 30 years old and back then it was very difficult to pressure can on one. I worry about the fact that there is no instant on/off and variations. Do the new stoves perform better?

Also, if there is an electric outage, with a gas stove, you can always cook.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooking on a electric stove

Get induction, as good or better than gas, much better than other electric cooktops.

o

Does the area have natural gas available? Unless it does or you want to consider using propane for cooking, induction is the way to go. Bringing natural gas the distance to our under-construction house eight years ago would have been a budget buster. We opted for propane for cooking and heating because I would have sold the house before using an electric cook top. Induction was still pretty untested in the US back then but I would definitely use it today if gas were not available.

o

We have electric cooking only in our house and I bought a radiant electric cooktop. The best I can say is that it's better than a coil electric. It does annoying things like cycle on and off and it isn't super responsive. I cook a lot and I've learned to work with it. Plus it's 10 and it was my only alternative at that time.

If I was still in the same position today, I'd go with induction. It offers the speed and power of gas and the responsiveness but works the way electric does. There's a learning curve since it's not conventional power but a majority of the reports from those here who have it are positive and enthusiastic.

o

Try asking in the Harvest forum. I think there are some smaller pressure canners that are steel and will work with induction, but it's not ideal. It doesn't work with the big aluminum one, and you have to be careful about the weight on a ceramic-glass topped stove. Some people have no trouble canning on old fashioned coil electric but few prefer it for all cooking tasks.

I remember someone got a propane turkey fryer base to use outdoors with a pressure canner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here