Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eandhl

Modern Aire Vent

eandhl
16 years ago

klb_2000 and plumorchard, I remember both of you have the modern aire vent. -- I also remember a quote from one of you that was around $1300 or 1400 -- I just got a quoter of $2787. without tax and shipping. This is the one like both of you have

36 inch long and I did go with the 30 inch high, black with 3 stainless bands, no pot rail. Does this sound unreasonable to either of you?

Comments (6)

• kelly_2000
    16 years ago

I did pay about $1400, but my hood is only 30" wide and 18" tall (and 600CFM). I do have a pot rail, which as I recall was a fairly insignificant markup--like $100 or something. But--since there was no local dealer available to me, I was able to order directly from Modern Aire, which undoubtedly cut out some of the middle man expense--so I think I scored a real bargain. (I wouldn't be surprised if they have rethought their policies and pricing when selling directly to consumers) Also, I bought my hood about 3 years ago at this point, and it doesn't seem like prices on these sorts of things ever go down.

So, the quote you are getting probably is reasonable, but you could probably find better deals from another manufacturer--have you looked into Vent-a-hood pricing? They have some similar models, and I doubt they have much of an upcharge for 'black'.

Good luck!

• eandhl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks klb, the 18 inch is only $200 less. I can't believe the hugh increase in my quote.

• eandhl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

klb, do you find the 30 inch MA vent adequate for your 30 inch range? Also is it fairly quiet, at least on low? I am trying to get this hood within our price range since it has almost doubled in price.

• kelly_2000
    16 years ago

Eandhl, are you buying direct from Modern Aire, or from a Dealer? I will say that a friend got quotes from dealers in her area (CA) for a MA hood nearly identical to mine, and the price came in a lot higher. (and Modern Aire wouldn't sell directly to her because there were local dealers in her area). I really think I just got lucky on the pricing of my hood. Probably MA hadn't really thought out their pricing policies for direct sales.

I have been happy enough with the performance, but to be fair the hoods in my past have been pretty pathetic, so I don't have much to compare it to. On the Modern Aire hoods, both the fan speed and the lights are on variable setting dials, so you aren't limited to just High or Low options (a nice feature). It certainly isn't silent at the highest fan speed, but I don't find it to be bothersome. The 30" width seems fine for me--I'm sure its better to have a few extra inches on either side (ie wider hood than range) but I just didn't have the space for that. When I stir fry, I do still have to shut the door between the kitchen and hallway or else the smoke detector goes off--so I can't say my hood is sucking ALL the smoke out. But not bad. In my case, I think the issue has more to do with the depth of my range--the hottest burner is in the front and since the range is particularly deep, the hood doesn't fully cover that front burner. With a normal depth range this probably wouldn't be an issue. The Modern AIre hood is 24" deep, which is pretty standard (although Vent A Hood has some 27" deep models, I think)

One sort of gross thing about the hood, though--I seem to get a 'grease bead' on the back corner of one of the baffle filters, that eventually drips onto my countertop if I don't dab it once every day or so. (I know, I know, the solution to this problem is probably to clean the filters more often!) I don't know if this is a Modern Aire issue or a general issue with baffle filters (or just a slothenly housekeeper issue !)

All in all I'm happy with the hood, and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again--but honestly I was more concerned about the aesthetics than about having the very highest quality or quietest ventilation available. I'm sure there are quieter, better-sucking (and probably cheaper, too) options out there, depending on your priorities!

Hope you can find a solution that works for you!

• eandhl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well now it makes sense. At least someone else got a very high figure. I must admit it "it makes you feel like you have been cheated". I have to drive an hour to the closest dealer but it didn't matter they will not sell direct.

• akarinz
    16 years ago

I live in Southern California. I called the company and they sent me to Fergusons. I went there this last Saturday and realized that they probably were going to be too pricey for me. But I love their looks.

Karin