Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clayplay59

48' range or separate cooktop & ovens?

clayplay59
16 years ago

I am debating the pros/cons of a 48" range with double ovens, probably dual-fuel, or a separate 36" gas cooktop and double electric ovens.

When I figure in the cost of the cabinetry under cooktop and for DO I think the price is fairly comparable. What are your thoughts on the different set-ups? We were spending about $4700 for cooktop and DO, and I know the DO cabinet is $1000.

Does anyone know about the 48" F&P with DO and warming drawers? Or the new Heartland 44" Paragon? I also looked online at the Five Star 48" ?

Any help?

Comments (16)

• weissman
    16 years ago

It really depends on your personal preference and your kitchen layout. Another option is to get a smaller all gas range (30" or 36") and a separate single electric wall oven. That gives you the flexibility of both a gas oven and an electric oven.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

It also depends on how many people you might have working in the kitchen. I wanted someone to be able to tend to a baking project while someone else was at the rangetop, and not have them in each other's way. I was also happy to be finished with having my oven so low and standing in front of a hot oven, and the new ability to have my pots and pans in drawers right where I need them under the cooktop. An advantage of the range is having both the ovens and cooktop under the hood vent, if you broil a lot, when things spill over and burn in the bottom, etc.

• cavu
    16 years ago

I considered 48" also because I wanted 2 ovens. After considering the loss of additional counterspace I went with 36" range and separate single oven.

Cavu

• annab6
    16 years ago

We thought about a 48" range too. But decided we didn't want to see such a big hood and didn't want to be married to this size in case we need to replace it at some point.
    Like if the range stopped working after a few years and we couldn't afford another one at the time, that would be a really bad situation. I know it may sound strange to think that way but it made sense to us.

• cpovey
    16 years ago

With a 48" range, most users here report that they use the small oven 90% of the time, which of course heats faster and costs less to operate.

One advantage of a range is that the ovens are under the hood, which means if a lot of smoke is generated, it can be more effectively removed.

• clayplay59
    Original Author
    16 years ago

anna6, thanks for the reminder about committing to the 48" size if we need to replace it. I did like the idea of my pots being in drawers directly under the cooktop, as rhone410 commented. I hadn't thought of the separate ovens not being vented in case of smoke, as several of you mentioned. My husband jokes that I sometimes use the smoke alarm as a timer.

As we are gutting the kitchen, I have room to configure either way. Guess it just depends in the end on cost. Thanks for the replies.

• peggross1
    16 years ago

Here's something else to consider.

Take two, or three depending on how large your family is, 5 lb bags of sugar and the roasting pan you use for turkeys to the appliance store.

Put the bags in the pan and put it into the oven of a pro-style range.

Close the door and stand up.

Bend back down and take the pan out of othe oven and put it down on the stove top and pretend you are basting. Then put it back in the oven and close the door.

(Whew! Those range ovens sure are low to the floor!)

Repeat 5 or so times.

I have a 48" rangetop, a 30" Miele wall oven and a 120 Monogram Advantium above it. I look at my mom, and my sister who is 9 yrs older than me, and I see the writing on the wall!

Best wishes for a wonderful kitchen!

• goldie5
    16 years ago

Fantastic sugar test---thanks for the idea. That is a great visual that backs up my concern about bending low to take heavy dishes out of the range.

• dzaner
    16 years ago

I have a different take on the wall oven. I currently have double wall ovens and am redesigning my kitchen with a range. While I enjoy having the food at eye level to check as it cooks, I have other issues. As I am only 5'2" tall, with my current wall oven I have to be very careful not to burn my forearm when lifting things in and out of the oven.(I have failed at this often). Also, especially when things are heavy (ala sugar test), I find it easier to lift from down low to counter height than it is to lift something heavy from counter height to eye level. Just something else to consider.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I loved the look and idea of a 48" range and even the two uneven size ovens. I became comfortable that they would suit my needs when I needed two ovens at the same time 98-99% of the time and I could work around the other. I couldn't get past how low to the floor they are. I didn't like the idea of liftina heavy roast or turkey from just above the floor -- and having to stand away from it, so it is a bending-reaching combination that is just much harder on your body -- and I have neck problems that go into my back and arms. But even worse was the lighter loads. Last fall I baked over 40 dozen cookies for a band event. Even thought hte weight of the cookie sheets is not an issue, doing the bending and reaching more than 100 times to put all the sheets in, check, rotate some of them, remove and repeat -- well, that would have been a lot harder. Using my parent's undercounter oven was all it took to make me sure of my decision.

A range would have taken up another 12 inches on the wall, but it would have given me back another 21 inches where the tall oven cabinet is. I'd love nearly 2 feet more counterspace, but not at the price of giving upthe wall ovens.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

My preferences for use are definitely to have a cooktop and wall ovens (they also separate work areas -- which can be good or bad, depending on how many are cooking and what and how you cook). Mine is based mostly on baking, but also onthe heavy roasting items as well as having as many as 3 or 4 cooks inthe kitchen and separating some ofthe work.

If you are more of a one --possibly a 2 cook -- kitchen, and if you use you oven more for main meal prep and finishing, you might prefer a range that keeps it all in front of you. For shorter folks, the low range ovens may not be as difficult as having to reach up and over oven doors. It's really a combination of your body's needs and your cooking needs.

• clayplay59
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This discussion has given me some great info! Thanks for making me think ahead. While I love the look of the 48" range, I forgot about all the bending over, and getting blasted in the face with hot air when I open the door. Think we will stick with the 36" cooktop and 30" DO with convection.
    I like having a little more room for "helpers" in the kitchen. footflash,
    I'll check out the Blue Star cooktop but there isn't a dealer near me.

• peggross1
    16 years ago

I'd recommend checking out the Capital Rangetop, too.

• starfish24
    16 years ago

We've been having this same debate for our new kitchen and have finally settled on separate rangetop and ovens, primarily because of the bending down thing.

Smarge -- May I ask whether your Miele oven and GE Advantium "coordinate," in terms of looks? Thanks.

• peggross1
    16 years ago

I think they will, but sadly they are not yet installed. They were delivered in mid-January, but the GC just keeps moving the appliances around the house as work is done. I assume after the kitchen is painted that he'll finally install them, although I honestly don't know what the heck he is waiting for - it's not like they are staying any cleaner in the other rooms! The entire house is being renovated and the dust is simply EVERYWHERE!

(and supposedly we are moving in the 2nd week of May - I'll post photos as soon as the house is done and cleaned.)